Staff Columnists
Finding value in the cultivation of knowledge
During Pre-Orientation, I had the privilege of attending a panel for new freshmen that featured James McLeod, dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and the vice chancellor of students. As I began senior year, the feeling that my time as a college student was fading fast started to sink in. I decided to take advantage of this situation and ask Dean McLeod for some advice on my remaining semesters here. I asked a simple question: “What classes should I take here before I graduate?”
I half-expected an answer that suggested one of the “cool” classes you often hear upperclassmen reference; Glassblowing and Music of the Beatles are usually what come to mind. His answer surprised me, however. Rather than listing some insightful or informative courses, Dean McLeod mentioned some professors in the College of Arts & Sciences whom I need to take a class with before I graduate. He made me consider how much value I placed on the actual class versus on the professor who was teaching the class.
Suddenly, it dawned on me that my meaningful academic experience as an undergraduate has been fulfilled not by the content of my courses but rather by my engagement with good professors. Simply put, a good or bad professor can make or break a subject for me. And I don’t think that I am alone—many students find themselves driven by professors who are excellent teachers and care about their subjects and their students.
Consider the course Environmental and Energy Issues. This course is offered each spring by political science professor Bill Lowry. I was naïve enough to think that I could get into this class as a sophomore, only to discover during registration that I was 120th on a waiting list. This spring, I hope to finally make it into the class. It will be my first environmental studies course, and I am certainly far from an expert on the subject. Like many other political science majors though, I will be taking this course not because of the content but because of the professor. In fact, when I first got here, an outgoing political science major said to me, “Dude, senior year, take Lowry.” No mention of the content or what the course was about, just the professor’s name. In the end, it will be the professor who makes this class meaningful for me.
Our University places heavy emphasis on research, but the classroom experience should not be undervalued. Through research, we are able to uncover new technologies, analyze and assess public policies, discover insights about American history, and gain new perspectives on timeless literature. The cultivation of knowledge, however, occurs right in the classroom when good professors are able to engage and connect with students. The content in a course suddenly has real meaning and comes to life. For students, it is no longer about memorizing facts for a test or a quiz, but about acquiring a genuine understanding and appreciation for the field of study. Professors who foster this educational philosophy understand wholeheartedly the value of undergraduate learning and drive students to become leaders. This cultivation of knowledge is just as important as research. It ensures that the passion and spark in a subject is endowed to future generations. We cannot ignore how much of an impact a professor with a gift for teaching can have on students, and by extension, the greater community.
Dean McLeod helped me realize what an impact some professors have had on my life these past few years. I will make sure not to undervalue the relationships I have formed with my professors in my final months here. I hope that all students are able to find a professor who inspires them and gives meaning to their coursework. More importantly though, I hope our University does not neglect the unique benefits provided by an enjoyable undergraduate learning experience, and ensures that a high value is placed on professors who have a passion for teaching.