Letter to the Editor

Stephen Bertelsman | Class of 2019

A pair of articles published in Student Life recently caught my eye. The first, an article by Tyler Sabloff, argued that Washington University needs to increase staff at Student Health Services to cope with the student demand. A second, an op-ed by Carolyn Perlmutter, argued similar points but addressed specific issues at Student Health Services. While different in tone, both articles highlighted the inadequate services provided by SHS. I too experienced what Tyler and Carolyn described—long delays in making appointments. Delays that became so long I’ve spent the last month going off campus for expensive biweekly care.

I commend Sabloff and Perlmutter for writing and Student Life for publishing, but the point of this submission is not just to say thank you. I wish to point out another factor of the situation that neither writer commented on. At the Sept. 19 Student Union Senate meeting, Senators Tyler Tran, Brian Adler and Jeff Berkowitz launched their “Mental Health Initiative.” For reference, please see pages 10 and 11 of the Senate minutes from that day. Given the controversies surrounding WILD, this proposal was likely missed or overlooked by most students on campus.

While I applaud these senators for looking into this issue, I was upset with their approach. Instead of pressuring the administration to increase funding at SHS to support more staff, they settled on a drawn-out research project into the “state of mental health at Washington University.” Students like Sabloff, Perlmutter and me would continue to suffer while Senate, our advocates, wasted time on endless meetings. I was upset and planned to attend the next Senate meeting to voice my concerns. When the senators who proposed this heard of my plans, they requested I instead meet with them outside of the meeting. Due to various delays, scheduling issues and fall break, I just recently sat down with the senators to express my concerns. It had been a month since this initiative was introduced, and they had little progress to report. Nevertheless, they heard my concerns and were incredibly sympathetic. I’m happy they heard me, but now I want them to act.

I agree with Sabloff and Perlmutter’s assessment of SHS and its mental health services. While I am critical of Senate’s approach, I do not blame them for the current state of SHS. Still, their decision to get involved in mental health justifies us, the students, in holding them accountable for their actions. It is my hope in writing this submission that all students press for action, not drawn out research projects, with respect to our mental health services. I hope students will recognize the leadership being provided by Senate. I hope Senate embraces its role as our advocates and presses for reform. I, like so many other students, want to see real improvements at SHS. With this Mental Health Initiative, Senate has the chance to make a lasting impact on this campus. Until then, I will keep shelling out money for an off-campus therapist, while waiting months for my next appointment.