Putting off for tomorrow what can be done today

At the end of every semester that I’ve had at Washington University, I’ve written at least one 15-20 page essay. First, it was the triumphal columns of Istanbul; second, female stereotypes in Spenser’s “The Faerie Queene;” third, why Egyptian civilization persevered while the Mycenaeans vanished around the 13th century B.C. Each of these essays was entirely unrelated in all ways but two: They were written in a concentrated frenzy of creativity from about 10 p.m. to 5 p.m. the next day (when they were due) and they are the best pieces of writing I have produced in my life. I think that more people should try procrastinating a little, because the process and the end result will be better.

I write everything the night before it’s due. Regardless of length, topic or type, there is never any preparation; the first time I look at the prompt is when I sit down with a blank Word document. If I need sources, I find them that night or the next day, and if the essay is short enough, and I run out of time that night, I’ll finish it in the couple hours I have in the morning before class.

Procrastination has a bad reputation. Since I was a child, I have been encouraged to start writing early, produce a little at a time, and thus make the process much less painful. One of my professors this semester told the class that she hoped we would begin our creative processes a few weeks before the essay was due, so we wouldn’t suffer from stress the night before.

But procrastination is how I live. I can’t speak for the other students who have similar study habits, but when I write, my thoughts flow without any prior planning. Occasionally, my ideas will occur faster than I can write them down—as happens when I have to frequently stop and look up page numbers—and I’ll make a note at the bottom of the page. I don’t suffer from writer’s block, and if I can stay awake, the day before is all the time I need.

It’s a system that has its drawbacks. Second semester of freshman year, it caused me to go seven nights without sleeping, thanks in large parts to unhealthy amounts of caffeine. At the end, I was an enervated, catatonic mess that was barely capable of human interaction.

But I love it. I love sitting down with no idea of what I’m going to say, and a few (or 20) hours later producing something that I genuinely feel is worth sharing with others and is worth their time. I love watching the sunrise behind my computer and I love watching the students on the crew team walk to practice as my “night” is only beginning.

My system is one that has worked for me. Each of those three essays was well received. Because of my complete lack of preparation, I have hours freed up to pursue alternative interests, and during reading week, when everyone I know is bogged down in studying marathons, I enjoy relaxed, sun-filled, lazy days. Most importantly though, is that the burst of creativity I experience when I write an essay the day before it is due. It is a feeling that is otherwise impossible to capture. It is why I love writing. Without that intense, focused, stimulating sensation, if I didn’t procrastinate, I wouldn’t enjoy writing assignments, and college would just be dull and uninteresting. I think everyone should try out my system at least once. It might turn out that you enjoy those papers after all.