Forum
Starting the semester with gratitude
At WashU, I find it easy to take many wonderful things for granted and even to start complaining about them. I don’t think this is just a me problem. The same way you might reach for “It’s so cold” or “I’m so tired” in an awkward pause with an acquaintance, it can become instinctual to bond with fellow students over a perceived shared misery.
I propose we spend the beginning of this semester reminding ourselves of how good we have it in many senses. It is great to develop a genuine criticism of university policy or social issues that impact our student body and St. Louis as a whole, as the Forum section of our newspaper demonstrates. But we must not wander around blindfolded, grabbing at whatever our hand touches and shouting, “This is a problem!”
I do my fair share of ranting about easily surmountable obstacles, but I can get better at catching myself when I’m needlessly focusing on “the bad.” If we express gratitude for all that we’re blessed to have, we can redirect our passion to advocating for meaningful change.
Here are a few gratitudes of mine to get your own reflection started:
- Dining. We have so many options! We have restaurants from St. Louis on our very campus taking our built-in meal points! We have such kind dining workers! Not all schools take daily eating beyond refried beans, frozen pizza, and slop.
- Dorms. I have heard multiple professors cite the Tempur-Pedic mattresses in jokes about the WashU student experience. Generally, the rooms are quite large, and cleaning staff clean bathrooms weekly. Functioning AC is a privilege, as well.
- Studying something I love. Staring down the homework list for Labor Day weekend already has me weary, but these readings and assignments will ultimately contribute to a database of some of the most interesting knowledge I have.
- Caring and cool friends. I have surrounded myself with supportive people who want to grow and enjoy life together.
- My wardrobe, which is sufficient. I can go look for something new and exciting, but I have enough.
- Finding amazing music, both years and years after it’s come out and right when it’s released. Student bands especially!
- University City Farmer’s Market.
- Strawberry shortcake ice cream bars.
Your turn!