Opinion Submission: Antisocial justice: Fight for social justice…but don’t fight dirty

| President of the Jewish Student Association

We live in a time when discussions about social justice and morality are at the forefront of public discourse. We advocate for change, fight against systemic injustices, and demand equality for all. However, amidst our noble pursuits, we sometimes overlook a fundamental aspect of social justice: respect.

After a few of my peers and I shared a political post on an Instagram account, someone directly messaged the account saying that we are — excuse my profanity — “actual f*cking monsters.” Was the purpose of this to intimidate, ridicule, or do something else? Intimidation and ridicule have no place in constructive discourse. They only serve to divide us further and prevent meaningful dialogue. In order to be productive, we need conversation, not hate. If we don’t even agree to listen to each other, how can we possibly work towards a solution? 

Technology allows our voices to be heard more easily than ever before. Social media platforms, while offering opportunities for connection and expression, also present challenges. It is much easier to be vicious when we are distant from others, and often anonymous. Anonymous comments are not conversation — they are noise. Are we using Sidechat to engage in meaningful, productive conversations, or is it merely an anonymous platform for being loud and mocking others without facing any consequences? We need to be mindful of our tendency to be aggressive on social media and double our efforts to use technology responsibly to ensure that our voices contribute to a more inclusive and civil dialogue.

If we truly want to enact change and promote social justice, we must learn to listen to one another with respect and understanding. Listening does not mean agreeing with everything the other person says. It means acknowledging their perspective as valid and deserving of consideration, or at least trying to learn how others view the issue and why they view it differently from us. It means treating others as equals, as humans, regardless of their differing views.

Sadly, some people seem to relish in having someone to oppose, someone they can feel superior to. This attitude undermines the very foundation of social justice, which is about leveling hierarchies and empowering each other. If we want others to listen to our perspective, then we have to have the same level of courtesy by listening to theirs. Change cannot happen until we start seeing each other as equals.

Moreover, we must be careful not to ascribe negative motives to those who disagree with us. Assuming the worst in others only leads to incoherence, hostility, and extreme reactions. If we want to have conversations, we have to be willing to assume most people have pure motives by recognizing that their perspective is shaped by their experiences and beliefs. Engaging in respectful conversations is not only the ethical thing to do, but it is what will actually be effective in terms of making political progress.

I do believe there are people in this world who have crossed a line and do not warrant respectful discourse — terrorists, Nazis, members of the KKK, etc. But when we misuse these labels to justify acting horribly towards people who are not actually villainous perpetrators, but simply individuals we disagree with, we ironically adopt the characteristics we aim to criticize. This seems to be the single biggest divide on Washington University’s campus and across the nation. When we view the other “side” as villains, our conduct is altered. But if we regard them as individuals with diverse backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and viewpoints different from our own, then there is considerable scope to identify common ground and engage in constructive dialogue about our disagreements.

In a democracy, the ability to voice differing opinions is essential. A core value in social justice movements is pluralism and the capacity for different ideas. It is what allows us to challenge ideas and grow as a society. This should lead to thoughtful conversations about important issues. However, in order to do so, we must distinguish between challenging people’s ideas and attacking individuals. We should be open to having our beliefs questioned, but we should never resort to hateful or inflammatory language in the process. Promoting social justice starts with how we treat each other in our everyday interactions. Let us remember that true progress in social justice begins not with the loudest voices, but with the most respectful ones.

Editor’s Note: This article was updated on 3/26/24 to update the author’s byline and fix a minor error.