Best local coffee house

Kayak’s
276 N. Skinker Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63130

Located just northeast of Brookings, Kayak’s offers something for everyone. It opens at 6:30 a.m. and serves Belgian waffles for the early risers. And even though it closes at 10 p.m., it’s a convenient place for art students to stock up on caffeine for a late night at the studio.

Order whatever suits your fancy: For the sweet-toothed among us, there are waffles and French toast, as well as the typical bakery fare. There’s soup and salad, not to mention a wide variety of sandwiches and wraps for lunch and dinner. The hearth-baked pizzas are also a favorite. The coffee, which is now Kaldi’s brand since Kayak’s was bought out, is also good fare.

The rustic log cabin décor makes it feel like a ski lodge—and let’s face it, there’s nothing better than hot cocoa on a winter night. It’s the warm and cozy atmosphere that sets Kayak’s apart from the typical corporate Starbucks—and, obviously, your typical night in Whispers.

Kayak's CoffeeJosh Goldman | Student Life

Kayak’s is a popular coffee destination near the Wash. U. campus.

• ignatius

This abortive article is an insult to common decency. Did you mongoloids go to any coffee shops beyond walking distance from the university? Kayak’s is an affront to the senses; the faux-bohemian staff make you feel unwelcome and the rather tasteless decoration represents an offense against society.