Mothers Men’s complaints prompt government investigations, lawsuit

Seniors Regis Murayi (left) and Jordan Roberts (right)wear the same pair of jeans. Murayi was told he could not enter a Chicago bar because he violated its ban on baggy jeans. He then switched jeans with Roberts, and Roberts was admitted into the bar. Murayi says the bar discriminated against him because he is black. (Courtesy of Fernando Cutz)

Complaints about alleged race discrimination by a Chicago bar against six black Washington University students have prompted state and federal investigations and a likely lawsuit to be filed by the students against the bar.

The developments came in the week after the incident, which occurred during a senior class trip night out at the Original Mothers bar in a popular nightspot downtown. Senior Class Council had made prior arrangements with the bar for some 200 seniors to go there.

The investigations, which include an FBI inquiry, are a result of complaints filed by Regis Murayi, one of the students denied entry into the bar on Oct. 17. Murayi, treasurer of Senior Class Council, filed complaints with the Chicago Commission on Human Rights, the Illinois attorney general’s office and the U.S. Department of Justice.

In the complaints, Murayi alleged that the bar’s refusal to admit the students constituted discrimination under the Chicago Municipal Code, which prohibits places of public accommodations from discriminating against clientele based on race. Race discrimination is also a federal offense under Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Murayi said the manager of Mothers told him and the other students that they could not enter the bar because they were violating the bar’s ban on baggy jeans. But Murayi said the manager admitted white students wearing baggy jeans. To prove this, Murayi changed jeans with senior Jordan Roberts, a white student, and Roberts was then admitted into the bar wearing the jeans.

Murayi said he thinks the six were discriminated against not because of their jeans but because they were a large group of black men.

“The bar racially discriminated against us and automatically assumed that we were dangerous,” Murayi said.

Representatives from Mothers declined to be interviewed this weekend by Student Life but said in a news release that the bar “does not discriminate against guests or patrons on the basis of race, and would never tolerate discriminatory conduct.” Mothers said it is conducting an investigation into the case and will take disciplinary action if necessary.

Mothers representatives also told the Chicago Tribune Friday that the students were rejected because of security concerns, not racism. Mothers’ human resource manager, Dan Benson, said a security photograph showed that two of the students had been wearing backward baseball caps, which are associated with gangs. Benson said gang violence is common in the area near the bar.

Murayi disputed that his clothing suggested he was in a gang. Murayi said he was well dressed, wearing a peacoat, loafers and a button-down shirt. He offered to show his Washington University IDs as proof of enrollment.

Benson also noted in the Tribune that other black patrons had been admitted into the bar. Murayi said this does not change his opinion that the bar discriminated against the students on the basis of their race.

“In and of itself that’s racial in that they automatically assumed that we were a gang,” Murayi said.

Now, Murayi and the other five black students are preparing to take legal action against the bar. Murayi said a number of lawyers have offered to take up their case for free, and the students are currently working to select a candidate.

Murayi and the others are seeking to be compensated for out-of-pocket, emotional distress and punitive damages, as well as the suspension of licensing to Mothers.

“We want to hurt them financially moving forward,” Murayi said.

University officials and students are also taking action against the bar.

Chancellor Mark Wrighton wrote a letter to Mayor Richard Daley on Thursday in which he expressed his “most intense disappointment” about the incident.

“I can only imagine the humiliation and discouragement these six young students felt last weekend when they were turned away from this establishment because of their race,” Wrighton wrote.

Wrighton called the incident a “setback for the City” of Chicago and requested that Daley respond.

Student Union also issued a resolution last Wednesday condemning Mother’s actions and urging further on-campus discussion. The Association of Black Students, Connect 4 and the Senior Class Council organized a town hall forum that will feature professors, students and others at 8 p.m. Monday in Lab Sciences 300.

With additional reporting by Michelle Stein and Johann Qua Hiansen

• Pingback: On Racism | The New Age of Politics

• StudentX

Dear Dad,

1. While I understand that you are proud of your daughter’s accomplishments and hard work (as my parents are of mine), I’m sure you can think of times where she’s read a novel for fun or played a cello piece simply because she enjoys it. It is her choice to do what seems best to her and she selects that activity that will give her the most satisfaction. Likewise, these men in question (and the 200 other Seniors) are taking a well-deserved weekend out for themselves. We all work hard here, and this weekend (which consisted of more than the Mother’s trip) was supposed to be a fun and relaxing experience, a break from the daily grind to celebrate the last year of school. Knowing when to work and when to have fun is part of living a balanced and healthy life.

2. Please keep in mind, everyone who went on the trip is graduating this year. This means they put in the work and time to maintain grades at a top 20 school for over three years. All of them care about their studies, all of them have logged hours at the library. One weekend off is not excessive nor depraved.

3. The students offered to go home and change clothes. They were told that they would still be denied entry. When they offered to change and were told they would still not be allowed in, a possible dress code violation crossed into racism and discrimination.

I know one of the six who were denied entry, and he is one of the most hard-working, motivated, and respected students on campus. He volunteers his time, is an excellent friend, a leader in many student groups, and is a kind and respectful person. Granted, I know this because I have met him, a privilege many who read this article have not had. The student body is fighting back against an injustice and I believe that should be admired, not ridiculed not scoffed at.

Thank you for your time,

Student X

• Studentttttt

Dad,

2. Have a care with hyperbole. To compare this situation to a murderer going free is laughable. As I told Son, being barred from the front of a bus is a JOKE indignity.

• Eracism

I’m just wondering but when did backwards baseball cap equal gangbanger? If they are so worried about gangbangers entering their establishment then get metal detectors. Also bars are subject to the civil rights act as they are considered restaurants in the eyes of the law.

• Dad

Dear Son:

1. If those jeans aren’t baggy, then we disagree. They’re easily the equivalent of two pair of 501s. As Seneca said: “We live not according to reason, but according to fashion.”

2. “Seniors at one of the top schools around the country” do NOT need to “have a good time and de-stress.” Seniors at Arizona State can do that. What’s your major? What’s your GPA? Son, you really ought to care more about your studies, especially if I’m paying for them. It is unfortunate that nobody sees the benevolent hand of Providence in this episode, ushering these students away from a bar and back to their rightful purpose.

3. Black does not equal gangbanger. Agreed.

4. Why is it irrelevant that the Chancellor has eagerly and groundlessly published a legal conclusion about this incident before all the facts are in? It’s an embarrassment on the order of Obama’s gaffe jumping to the unwarranted defense of the Harvard scholar. The Chancellor should be criticized for it.

5. We are, each of us, subjected to indignities large and small at the hands of our fellow man day in and day out. But being denied entrance to a bar on a given night is a JOKE indignity. Go back tomorrow, and when they let you in, you’ll see how happy you should have been being turned away. See also No. 2 above.

“We dont [sic] want your love. Sorry. We do want the ability to drink where you drink, eat where you eat, and party where you party. Thats [sic] all.

That is one sad, sad testament, Son. A father’s love is what you MOST need – with that, all the rest would be water off your back. For the record, if you want to drink and party where I do, problem solved – I don’t do either.

Now get back to your studies.

Love, Dad

* * * * *

Dear Freshman,

“There are literally thousands of ways to detail your feelings about this article, yet you chose to immaturely make false accusations and sarcasm while utilizing the cover of “tough love” to warrant your responses.”

False accusations? Like what? Methinks you’ve just made a false accusation that I made false accusations. Sarcasm? Maybe. Are we all now so sensitive that sarcasm has become too harsh a rhetorical tool?

“I am actually ashamed to go to a school with an individual whose father can be so disrespect [sic]–and dearly hope that I never have to meet your son or daughter during my career here.”

Freshman, you are right to be ashamed, but for the wrong reason. Your statement is as shocking as it is reprehensible. That you conceived of it, much less expressed it in writing, and, apparently, considered it legitimate argument, is indeed shameful and should be a profound embarrassment to you.

1. I need not have been present to know that (1) there are two sides to the story, (2) we haven’t heard the full story yet, and (3) to state as fact in formal correspondence to the mayor of Chicago a legal conclusion that these students were discriminated against because of race without having been there or heard all the evidence, is premature, irresponsible and should be roundly condemned. I don’t remember giving my opinion whether this is a case of racial discrimination. Hypocrisy has nothing to do with it – look it up.

2. Have a care with hyperbole. To compare this situation to a murderer going free is laughable. As I told Son, being barred from a bar is a JOKE indignity.

3. All this chatter about relaxing and de-stressing is as tiresome as it is ironic. If there had been a seventh young man who had spent the weekend at the library, it’s virtually assured that his weekend would have been much more satisfying and far less stressful than this hectic Chicago slash-and-dash.

4. …you will end up looking ridiculously naiive [sic]… (Freshman, why is so much of your energy directed toward calling me names?) Suppose for the sake of argument that the suit is brought, the students win, Mother’s abandons its dress code, gangbangers routinely gain entry, and next year a Wash U student comes home in a wooden box because she got in the way of a knife fight. That seems like a much worse result than a JOKE indignity. Which would you prefer? On which side would you rather err? Who is naïve?

5. “…I reiterate, I really do not ever want to meet one of your children.” Again with this. If you don’t recognize it for the indefensible, blind and baseless discrimination it constitutes, and apologize, then there’s no hope for mankind.

For the record, imagine a kid who has been playing a sport since 6th grade, and has put in the time, done the work and made the sacrifices that playing a sport entails. Who’s quiet, who blossomed late, who nobody knew, who got no press. But who led her team with skill and composure to a high school State Championship, against all odds. (And has won a National Championship at Wash U since then.) About whom coaches, players and parents, on both sides, said repeatedly, “What a beautiful smile,” “Why is she always smiling?”, “Oh, yours has the big smile.” Who doesn’t glare, doesn’t taunt, doesn’t strut, doesn’t “celebrate.” Just plays. And smiles. Who’s never gotten a B, ever, since preschool. OK, a B+. Once. Valedictorian of her high school class, a National Merit Scholar, scored 35 out of 36 on the ACT (that’s the top .01%)… Who does what she says she’ll do, goes where she says she’s going, and got home on time or called to renegotiate. Who doesn’t drink or “party” and doesn’t have friends who do; who tutors them in calculus and physics instead. Who turned in after 2 am time and time again in high school in order to get it all done, but never skipped class. Thought about it once or twice. Didn’t happen. Who’s never cursed, never said “I hate you,” never slammed a door in anger; not in her parents’ presence anyway. Who played the cello in a college orchestra her sophomore year in high school. Who led her high school team to victory in the Regional FIRST Robotics Competition. As captain and driver. Against 37 teams from 8 different states. Mostly boys. Who’s a fearsome and fearless competitor. And a cool cucumber. Who embodies intellect, determination, heart, leadership and passion. And who’s always smiling. That’s who you’ll miss meeting. Pity, that.

Sincerely,
    Dad

• Alma

I just thought I write what happened to my friends and I last weekend in a bar in Arkansas. Racism is still very strong and present. An argument started when two WHITE females provoked a fight by sitting on my friends boyfriends lap and refused to move! after the fight was stopped by about 4 or 5 (WHITE) bouncers, I was choked out the club/bar along with my friend! while the two (WHITE) females weren’t even messed with by the bouncers. What made me so mad is that before throwing me out the club/bar the bouncer was holding me by my neck while the (WHITE) girl kept swinging at me with no bouncer in sight to stop her from hitting me!( He basically held me so she could hit me!)
    They weren’t even kicked out the bar after they had provoked the fight! I felt so humiliated and hurt to feel first hand the hatred that still exists among people! by the way my friend and I are Hispanics but we get asked all the time if we are African Americans. I don’t do anything about what happened to me because I don’t have the money or the time.

But Regis Murayi I’m with you! I believe this was raciest and I’m glad something is being done!

• An Adult

Still Anon,

I am really tired of your “holier than thou” pretentious attitude.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and approach the matter with an open mind, just as you have asked everyone else to do and truly consider and LISTEN to the side of the story opposing your own. Have you ever put yourself in the shoes of someone who is not a white female and taken the time to consider their point of view? That is all I ask that you do.

• Still Anonomyous

I think it is extremely interesting that when a mother chimed in on the issue, you all acted like her opinion was golden, whereas when a father who was on the opposing side chimed in, you all attacked him.

I think he makes extremely valid points, and I am trilled that a third party, someone who doesn’t go to Wash U and someone who has an outsider’s opinion is willing to comment on this issue. Fresh perspective is what we need, and he was willing to get it. Of course, the moment his perspective is brought to light the disrespect comes out in spades.

It is a shame that we live in a society where we don’t feel the need to respect what our elders have to say. Yes, we are adults. But we are YOUNG adults, and we don’t know everything. We can stand to learn something from people- we come to class every day because we want to learn. Why can’t we also learn life lessons?

“Dad”‘s opinions are just as valid as yours. Just because you don’t like them or agree with them doesn’t mean you can be so openly disrespectful. You wouldn’t address a professor like that, no matter how much you didn’t like them or the way they taught you something.

“Dad” has just as much a right to respond to the events here (as this is the US and we do have freedom of speech- oops- I forgot, unless you don’t like when they’re saying, apparently), as the mother of a student who talked about how horrendous this incident was. You say that he wasn’t there- neither was she, and yet she gets props for defending your cause, he gets attacked.

Yes, we are all adults. So let’s please start acting like it. Adults, particularly those of us who attend such a university as Wash U, demonstrate tact, intelligence, a willingness to an open mind and different perspectives, and the desire to ask questions and gather information. So yes, please, let us act like adults. I think it is time for that.

• http://newageofpolitics.wordpress.com Charles H.

My blog, http://newageofpolitics.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/on-racism/

Has my thoughts on this issue, which are far too long to put in a comment…

• Freshman

To Dad/Voice of Reason,
    Let me just say right now that I am a freshman of Indian origin, who has indeed experienced discrimination before. You make many legitimate points, however your comment was overwhelmingly condescending in more ways than I can describe, and your sheer lack of respect and compassion towards this situation is astounding. There are literally thousands of ways to detail your feelings about this article, yet you chose to immaturely make false accusations and sarcasm while utilizing the cover of “tough love” to warrant your responses.

I am actually ashamed to go to a school with an individual whose father can be so disrespect–and dearly hope that I never have to meet your son or daughter during my career here.

Now to address your comment.

1. It’s good to know that YOU are omnipotent and can form your stone-cold, biased and inflammatory conclusion without having been there. You hypocritically call out Chancellor Wrighton on his comment despite his not being present, yet you weren’t present either. If one’s presence at a situation like this is a qualification for having an opinion, then you do not deserve to respond either.

2. You obviously have never experienced anything close to discrimination… or you are just overly ignorant about the world. Eventually, yes, all of us will get over it and move on, but after those who are responsible are punished. What you are advocating is comparable to a judge in a courtroom telling the family of a murder victim to get over it, without punishing the killer. To prevent a similar situation from happening, students must take action.

3. There is literally no purpose in responding to this comment, as it is nothing more than an unwarranted attack on the students. These students are attending one of the best universities in the country — and are extremely qualified (why don’t you try reading about some of those qualifications before ignorantly and angrily responding). They have done their work for four long years and this trip was nothing more than one weekend of relaxing.

4. You indeed could conceal weapons in the outfit that the students were wearing…. except when the same outfit was put on another student (a white student), he was allowed in the club. Your argument could be something close to plausible if you ignore the fact that another student of a different skin color was let into the club. How about you straighten your facts and find out what actually happened before you express your opinions on something, or you will end up looking ridiculously naiive, as you do in this situation.

5. “Tough love.” Please. If this is your version of love, then I reiterate, I really do not ever want to meet one of your children. Also, this isn’t a matter of you As I said before, people will be forced to move on – but only after ensuring that something like this will never happen again.

“It truly disgusted me just now to read what you wrote, and made me ashamed that you went to such a prestigious university as Washington University” – Voice of Reason

Furthermore, how dare you attack anyone at Wash U in this manner. This is a completely childish, immature, and pathetic way to persuade people. You make comments like this, yet demand respect? Are YOU kidding me?

“…you are openly showing extreme disrespect for someone who knows a lot more than you do, who has been through more life experiences than you have, and might be able to teach you a thing or two.”

Finally, I do not know what decade you were born in, but nowadays, age doesn’t simply buy respect. If you want respect, you need to earn it–and stating your “disgust” for one of your children’s classmates is not a good way to start.

I hope you can at least attempt to respond to my comment with something that resembles maturity and civility.

Sincerely,
    Freshman

• Matt

Great article, but you misstate the scope of Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title II only prohibits discrimination on the basis of race in places of public accommodation, defined by the statute as inns/motels, restaurants or places which principally sell food, and movie theaters, stadiums or other places of exhibition or entertainment. There is little legal support to the idea that a bar/club like Mother’s would be included in the public accommodations definition in the statute.

Other than that, you capture many of the legal aspects pretty well.

• Cedric

“The 1st amendment guarantees freedom of speech, tradition often guarantees freedom of ignorance”.

Reading the myriad of comments over the past week on the Chicago incident has affirmed my belief that we are still a long long way off from equality in this country. In the past most believed that racism and bigoted attitudes towards blacks was perpetuated by ignorant southern whites. Clearly many of these posts can truly dispell that theory. I mean this is WASHU the mid-west Ivy Leaguer right?

Most of the posts I have read that are “against” the efforts of the “6″ are based on mis-information and /or simply just a lack of knowledge about the event itself, blacks, and even civil law. While I would like to take a moment to educate, I will refrain because if the wealth of true information that already exists on all these issues still makes people write their divisive comments then the ignorance is obviously self imposed.

I guess terms like liberal, and “post racial”, even at WASHU (the #12 national and #73 world college) are mere figments of the imagination. Perhaps WASHU needs to put on a 2009 version of “Ragtime” using it’s own campus as a setting.

• A Washington University Voice

Develop at thicker skin? Is that what we should do to cope with this race issue? Just deal with it?

Yes this is 2009, but the sad truth is that we’re still waging this age-old battle. These 6 students absolutely deserve the right to seek legal action; in fact, they need to seek legal action.

My view on this is that it couldn’t have happened to a better group of people. In their original press release, the students cite several other instances over the past few years in which discriminatory complaints were filed against Mother’s, yet no serious or lasting action has ever been taken. It took a group of highly educated and motivated individuals to decide not to just “toughen up” or “get over it,” but to take some righteous and necessary action against this bar so that this kind of discrimination forever comes to an end.

This bar has a deep and telling history of rejecting customers due to race. It’s time that someone take a stand and win but one small battle in the war against this country’s underground but prevalent racism.

Yes, this bar admitted other black individuals but the demographics of the bar were largely white. While there may be a black female present at the bar, the bar’s decision to not let in a group of black males because they look like “gangbangers” is highly unjust.

This whole situation is just entirely saddening. Here on campus, we have isolated ourselves in a bubble of understanding and compassion– a bubble devoid of any racist undertones. It’s so easy to forget that racism and discrimination exist out in the “real world.”

Toughening up is not the answer.

• wow, seriously

Yay, the self proclaimed voice of reason returns. Although I dont find your arguments to be reasonable. Who are you to tell people they should be ashamed of themselves?? How do you know someone who signed their name “Dad” is actually an “elder”? Also, i should remind you that we are all adults here.

Are we really going to blame a BLATANT case of racism on LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS???? COME ON.

This is not a knee-jerk “Race Card” response. It is a very obvious case of racism.

• Reasonable brother

The definitive answer to this controversy lies in the diversity of the clientele on the night in question. Were there any blacks allowed into the club? If not, Mothers deserves to go down.

If there were, its time to stop diminishing ourselves with this type of nonsense. To those of you who still blame your failure to succeed in anything on the color of your skin, give it up. You embarrass the rest of us who compete, who excel and who win in life on our own merits. Stop belittling our race, implying we need “special” help and empowering those who gain political points by “bringing up” the “poor black man.” Those pandering to our perceived weaknesses are our true enemy.

Don’t like Mothers? Vote with your dollars, spend it elsewhere.

• Tom Jefferson

I find this entire article fishy if you look just behind the ‘white guy’ to his left, there is a ‘b;ack women’ sitting at the bar.

Something is odd here…

• Realist

Whatever happened to the other 4 students who were also turned away as reported by the Chicago Media?? Nobody wants to make this fact more well known because it would blow a hole in any attempt to spin this into a race related story. There were 6 + 4 others, let’s hear from the other 4, oh wait, maybe it was a dress code issue. The liberal media is partially to blame, stirring up controversy for the sake of readership. There are two sides to every story and nobody makes the efforts to talk about the other 4 turned away, or how the “caring, sensitive” Wash U student protesters, decided to still get drinks inside and leave their fellow students outside. Kids at this campus make me sick, you may think that by flapping your gums for a liberal cause may make you a better person, but in reality your priorities are still self centered and biased. I’m not claiming to to be a Mother Theresa, but at least I don’t say one thing and do another.

I think everyone involved needs to develop a thicker skin and just let it go. Try going to a club in New York as a male of any race, good luck getting in. Pulling the race card just because you didn’t get your way is only perpetuating further stereotyping. Oh and by the way, in the picture of the white kid in the jeans, isn’t that a black woman enjoying a beverage at the bar?

• Voice of Reason

Have some respect for your elders. Have you never heard of that?! It is fine if you don’t want to respect your peers (which you should anyway because their opinions hold just has much weight as your own), you are openly showing extreme disrespect for someone who knows a lot more than you do, who has been through more life experiences than you have, and might be able to teach you a thing or two. It truly disgusted me just now to read what you wrote, and made me ashamed that you went to such a prestigious university as Washington University. Is that how you would speak to an adult to their face? Are you kidding me?

• Son

Hi Dad,

I know you probably don’t know the students involved. Thats fine. But, being a young “urbanite” myself- is that the PC term nowadays for a black man?- i want to correct some, ahem, GLARING, inaccuracies to your argument.

1. They weren’t wearing baggy jeans. They weren’t. Black people don’t do that anymore. Furthermore, the same jeans were worn by another white guy, who was allowed in. The same jeans looked substantially “baggier” on him because hes smaller/skinnier. He gets in. There is a difference here.
    2. Funny- they should be studying. Oh wait- you mean they’re seniors at one of the top schools in the country? And they planned this weekend to have a good time and de-stress from all the studying they’ve been doing? Interesting. I’m pretty sure adults can drink. Get off your pompous ass.
    3. They’re students in a university- not gangbangers. They just happen to be black. Black does not equal gangbanger. This argument implies racism, this is the argument that the bar tried to supply, hence they are being levied with a charge of racism.
    4. The chancellor thing- irrelevant.
    5.Its one thing to be denied entry for a bar, its quite another to be SELECTIVELY AND FOR DISCRIMINATORY REASONS denied from a bar. This is not something people should just “get over”.

We dont want your love. Sorry. We do want the ability to drink where you drink, eat where you eat, and party where you party. Thats all.

Love, Son.

• Dad

1. It’s good to know that the Chancellor is omnipotent and can form this stone-cold, biased and inflammatory conclusion without having been there. Chancellor, didn’t Obama recently jump to a similar conclusion in defense of a Harvard scholar, to howling censure from every quarter?

2. Poor, poor, humiliated and discouraged six young students. Let’s forever and a day wrap them in the comfortable cloak of victimhood where they can feel safe and warm while we protectively and knowingly pat them on the head. Get over it and move on.

3. When turned away, did the humiliated and discouraged young students return to the hotel, crack open the books and find solace working on that upcoming mid-term paper? Thought not. Get out of the bars and into the library.

4. Pea coat and baggy pants? You could conceal six weapons easily in that malevolent merchant-marine costume. Sorry to be the one to break the news – but the juxtaposition of photos above screams Ron Artest vs. Pee Wee Herman. In the split-second crush and shove of entry to a crowded bar, IN LATE-NIGHT DOWNTOWN CHICAGO, that’s a judgment call you don’t get to second guess Monday morning. Lose the clown pants, watch what Justice Thomas wears in his off-hours and emulate.

5. Tough love.

• Maggie

That Bar sucks anyway…They are always trying to force girls into the bar by offering free shots. Its disgusting in there.

• That Guy

“Women and black folks get to vote now too. Just so you know.”

Holy crap when did that happen? j/k

I don’t think anything I said had a racist or sexist undertone, so I don’t know why you jumped down my throat for that.

I’m not saying they used their best judgment in not allowing these students into their bar, and their stated reason is what they’ve stated, I wasn’t there, I don’t know. What I was surprised at is that everyone quickly jumps to codemn the business when they do have the ability (is that better than ‘right’ for your semantic argument?) to set dress code, personal conduct rules etc for their establishment, meaning they ultimately have the final say. This situation is a lot of hot air from two sides that are pissed.

Don’t pick a side until you see all of the facts, it’s not fair to either of them.

• Andi D

“I’m not siding with the bar, but did small businesses lose the right to chose their clients? ”

They “lost” the “right” in 1964. The Civil Rights Act. It’s mentioned in the article (and most basic civics classes). Public establishments are required to serve the public regardless of race. They have other oppressive rules like health standards and licensing requirements as well, poor things.

Women and black folks get to vote now too. Just so you know.

• That Guy

I’m not siding with the bar, but when did small businesses lose the right to chose their clients? If I’m working at an auto dealership and a person comes through the door that does not look trustworthy, I can’t kick him out for fear of a lawsuit? It’s not the public library, it’s a private establishment.

It’s too bad these guys weren’t admitted to the bar, but was I being discriminated against for being a male when I stood outside of a nightclub while the women were allowed in? Was I being discriminated against when I had to be 21 to go to the clubs when female patrons were invited in at 18? Yes, but it’s their business, they can decide who they want to provide their services too.

Plus, who said the jeans were actually baggier on the white student, maybe he had thicker legs, that’s not evidence.