‘The Book of Mormon’ hits St. Louis

(Erica Shi | Student Life)

The touring production of “The Book of Mormon” rolled into the Fox Theater on Tuesday, April 9. This modern musical masterpiece, which has run on Broadway since 2005, was a product of “South Park” creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker and EGOT winner Robert Lopez. A satirical musical poking fun at the Mormon religion, “The Book of Mormon” doesn’t pull its punches (we would expect nothing less from Matt and Trey). Originally starring Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells, this new touring production is as up-to-snuff as one could hope for. The story follows two Mormon missionaries, Elder Price and Elder Cunningham. We follow these two on their mission to convert the people of a small village in Uganda, which is being terrorized by warlord, General Butt Fucking Naked. 

This musical had spunk, grit, and heart. “The Book of Mormon” has the characteristic “South Park” humor that has 99% of the audience crying with tears of laughter and 1% gasping in shock. Parker and Stone set a strong plot that establishes a conflict that draws you in, making you care about the characters and their struggles. The soundtrack is lively and irreverent, matching the humor of the musical. Songs like “I Believe” and “Turn It Off” will leave you humming. 

This production stars Sam McLellan as Elder Price and Sam Nackman as Elder Cunningham. Nackman’s portrayal of Elder Cunningham felt original, and while there were some Josh Gaddian tones (akin to his iconic characters from Olaf, to recently taking up Bud in “Gutenberg the Musical”), I felt his take on the character was authentic and true to himself. I loved Keke Nesbitt’s portrayal of Nabulungi; her performance allowed the hopeful and sad sides of the character to shine through while staying true to the Parker and Stone sense of humor.

The lighting and stage design were remarkable in this production. Detailed and varied sets allowed the musical to move effortlessly from scene to scene while being easy to follow. The lighting added an ephemeral tone to the quasi-religious scenes and plunged the audience into the depths of “Spooky Mormon Hell Dream,” as one scene reflects. The sound quality, which can be unpredictable at the Fox, was also pretty good relative to the other shows I have seen there.

Above all, what surprised me while watching this musical for the first time (though I have listened extensively to the music) was how showy it was. On par with the musical numbers of “Cabaret” and “Funny Girl,” “The Book of Mormon” is for the person who loves big dance numbers and toe-tapping songs, and appreciates the spectacle of Broadway. 

For those who don’t necessarily enjoy the theatricality of Broadway, “The Book of Mormon” is still for you. In many ways, it feels like an episode of “South Park” in its hilarious, free-flowing plots and silly lessons we all learn at the end; if you love “South Park,” it is a definite can’t-miss.

To enjoy “The Book of Mormon,” you have to appreciate its ridiculousness, engage in the plot and story, and empathize with the characters. The show’s heartfelt and funny songs accompanied by pointed dialogue make this easy. Parker and Stone know how to make an audience laugh, and in my opinion, these songs are their best.