Missing from the 40, missing from my heart: Find my Swamp Friends

| Senior Editor

Nothing spells out friendship and love more than a trio of neon green squiggly monsters, and for three years, the Swamp Creature Friends sculpture has both greeted students living on the South 40 and confused them with its presence.

But when students returned to campus this fall, the friends had vanished without a trace, leaving behind an empty void on the Swamp.

According to Sam Fox Curator for Public Art Leslie Markle, the friends aren’t gone for good. The sculpture is currently undergoing renovations and is scheduled to be reinstalled during fall break.

The sculpture was installed by Washington University alum Tom Friedman in 2016 as part of the Art on Campus program. He was selected to design an art installation on the South 40 to accompany Umrath House. Friedman was inspired by the grassy field of the South 40 and its nickname, the Swamp. This inspiration paved the way for the concept of Swamp Creature Friends, and it was unanimously approved by the art committee.

He also cited inspiration from The Creature from the Black Lagoon and the social aspects of being a college student.

Since then, the sculpture has remained one of the most memorable pieces of art on campus.

Markle said that the Art on Campus program aims to make art “part of the everyday student experience” and to “foster a dialogue about art.”

The Swamp Creature Friends has maintained its position as a part of the everyday student experience in a way more memorable than most art installations on campus, with students often taking photos in front of it. Sophomore Hannah Millner spoke positively about the sculpture because of the way it “adds character” to the South 40.

“I’ve seen students creatively dress the monsters up for different occasions, which is always a fun surprise,” Millner said. “It’s also fun to build a snowman and add it to the sculpture in the winter.”

Sam Fox Dean Carmon Colangelo believes the art installations on campus set the University apart from other institutions.

“I think having a great art museum and then also having art on campus distinguishes the University, and gives it kind of [a] unique character at the same time,” Colangelo said.

Many sophomores living on the South 40 were disappointed to find out that the sculpture had seemingly vanished at the start of the school year.

“I was pretty disappointed when I saw the statue was gone. That was really the only notable landmark in the Swamp,” sophomore Joey Niizawa said. “We were kind of confused about what it represented, but it was nice to take pictures in front of it during our first year. I just feel a little bad that the first years don’t have that weird thing in front of the Swamp to take pictures in front of.”

“I barely notice the other sculptures on campus, but the Swamp Friends I noticed every time,” sophomore Hannah Yoken said. “It always felt like they were welcoming me back to the 40 every time I saw them. I want my friends back.”