Quick cash on campus

| Scene Reporter

As the holiday season is fast approaching, many of us are looking for ways to make some extra pocket money for gifts. While there are certainly real means of obtaining a steady income—like, I don’t know, getting a job—there are also quick and easy ways to score some spare cash.

The first method is a fan favorite. Remember when you were in Psych 100 and had to do six hours of psychology experiments for class credit? Well, many of those same psychology experiments conducted by graduate students offer cash payments of around $10 per hour. For those who have never done a psychology experiment, they usually consist of filling out surveys or performing menial word tasks on a computer. Considering that many of them do not last the full hour, boredom—with the occasional fun experiment—is a small price to pay for $10. For the high rollers, there are also some experiments that dish out around $25 per hour in exchange for MRI scans of your brain.

For any sports fans looking for a more exciting way to get cash, there are other options. The Intramural (IM) Office is always looking for students to serve as referees for a variety of activities from volleyball to football. If you love to play a sport but don’t know how to referee, don’t worry! The office will provide free training as part of the job. As a referee, you’ll usually make $7 per game and also get a free T-shirt and whistle.

Freshman Catherine D’Antonio, who referees for IM volleyball, said “It was enjoyable because [I] like volleyball, both playing and watching. It’s an easy way to make some extra spending money.”

What can be better than watching your favorite sports and getting paid for it?

If you prefer hitting the books over hitting baseballs, you can use your brain to fill up your wallet at Cornerstone. Cornerstone hires notetakers, or people to take notes in certain classes, usually at the start of each semester. Not the best option for holiday cash, but this is a good idea to keep in mind for next semester. The job entails attending all classes, taking thorough notes and sending them to the Cornerstone office after each class meeting. For $80 per class unit—$240 for a typical three unit class—the requirements are a small price to pay. If you’re an academic that happens to fulfill all of the conditions already, becoming a notetaker is a simple way to earn some extra money. Better yet, for those prone to skip lectures, becoming a notetaker will give you an extra incentive to go to class each day.

Cornerstone also offers qualified students excelling in a subject with an A- or higher a chance to become an academic mentor. While the application process is a little more difficult, with a minimum 3.0 GPA and professor recommendations required, the rewards go beyond just payment. As the Cornerstone Web site mentions, “mentors are paid and trained, but when discussing their work, they often mention that the greatest benefit to them is in the experience of teaching and working with their peers.” You can choose from a variety of courses and majors in which to become an academic mentor and strengthen your own understanding of the subject with training.

If you are still not sold on any of the aforementioned money-making schemes, the Student Financial Services Web site is a great way to find both local and on-campus jobs. Work ranges from giving massages to babysitting young children. The SFS Web site is updated often, so be sure to check constantly for new opportunities.

So, for those of us without steady jobs or work-studies, there are other ways to earn money on campus. Make sure to use your strengths in academic mentoring, sports or menial word associations when seeking money-making activities. Don’t get discouraged by the lack of “GET $100 FREE” signs on campus. If you look around closely, you’ll be able to find things to do.