New CS40 Exec hopes to increase visibility

Freshmen Kyle Jeter and Daniel Grossman prevailed Friday in contested elections for Congress of the South 40 speaker and director of finance, respectively.

Jeter narrowly edged out freshman Natty Bernstein, garnering 51.5 percent of the vote to Bernstein’s 47.6 percent. Grossman, meanwhile, received nearly 85 percent of votes for director of finance.

The newly elected CS40 Exec hopes to increase visibility on campus through advertising efforts and to branch out from programming into advocacy efforts.

Jeter noted that he was not sure whether past races had been so close but is glad he came out on top.

“[The race] was tight, and you know what, at the end of the day, I think either of us would have done a really great job,” Jeter said. “But it went my way, and I’m glad it did.”

Freshmen Cassie Bergman, Jack Ploshnick and Amy Wang ran unopposed for director of development, director of services and director of public relations, respectively, and will join Jeter and Grossman on the 2016-2017 CS40 Exec.

CS40 is primarily a programming board, responsible for coordinating large underclassmen-targeted events like WUStock, the Residential College Olympics, Carnival on the Swamp and the South 40 Formal along with smaller events like Hangout Fridays at Ursa’s and events through the individual college councils.

Jeter hopes that CS40 can also advocate on behalf of students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and has met with Student Union President and junior Kenneth Sng to discuss opportunities to get involved in advocacy efforts.

“There is definitely a lot of talk about it, and there is definitely some action going on as well, but I think that coming from a different group than Student Union it might help, actually,” Jeter said.

In addition to advocacy efforts, both Jeter and Director of Public Relations Amy Wang want to explore advertising through multiple mediums, such as Facebook and the Underpass, to increase student attendance at events.

“Right now, I’m the PR [representative] for my college council, and I feel like sometimes our events don’t get put out very well,” Wang said. “A lot of people tend to ignore some of the larger [Facebook] pages, like Wash. U. 2019.”

Freshman Grant Galasso feels that students generally are unaware of the various programming CS40 puts on.

“I’m pretty sure most people don’t know what [CS40] actually does,” Galasso said. “I don’t know what’s directly sponsored by the Congress of the South 40, but I’m sure there are everyday things that I see and just take for granted.”

Bergman thinks that students realize that there is programming on the South 40 but may not recognize CS40’s role in planning the events.

“Students know that there are programs on the [South] 40 for them, but I think that there definitely could be some more transparency as to who’s putting on these programs,” Bergman said.