CS40 announces Daya to headline WUStock in April

Singer/songwriter Daya will headline this year’s WUStock, which will be held on April 1, Congress of the South 40 announced Saturday.

Known for Billboard No. 23 hit “Hideaway,” Daya was nominated for a 2017 Grammy for her feature on The Chainsmokers’ “Don’t Let Me Down.”

The Congress of the South 40 reveals Daya as the WUStock artist for 2017. The annual concert will be held on April 1.Courtesy of Regan Banvard

The Congress of the South 40 reveals Daya as the WUStock artist for 2017. The annual concert will be held on April 1.

Past WUStock headliners have included BORNS, MKTO and Walk the Moon, with student performers opening the set, as they will this year as well.

Daya was revealed as this year’s headliner at CS40’s annual Battle of the Bands event, which featured nine Washington University student bands. The top three bands—The Swamp Cats, River Static and Devin and the Atmospheres—will open WUStock this year, along with a DJ that CS40 plans to secure for the event.

Sophomore Regan Banvard, CS40’s Swamp chair, said that Daya was chosen because of her popularity, adding that Daya is the first woman to perform at WUStock in the past several years.

“We chose Daya because we wanted to have an up-and-coming artist perform at WUStock that people already knew,” Banvard said. “It’s super cool that this year we were able to get an artist who has songs people know and enjoy, and we finally have a female artist for WUStock for the first time in a while.”

Sophomore Erin Egan is excited to see Daya perform at WUStock.

“She’s young and has a really good voice,” Egan said. “She had a lot of top 40 songs this summer.”