Pro-Palestine art piece displayed outside Steinberg Hall, WUPD called

| Junior News Editor

A student’s pro-Palestine art piece was placed on the outside of Steinberg Hall as part of a critique for their sculpture art class on Dec. 6. 

The piece included the phrase “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free,” a statement that Washington University Chancellor Andrew Martin recently condemned in his blog post titled “Free speech and responsibility.” A Sam Fox administrator and staff member removed the piece before WUPD arrived. Several students then requested that the Sam Fox faculty reinstall the piece for a second, later critique, which it was shortly thereafter.

In an emailed comment to Student Life, Julie Flory, Vice Chancellor for Marketing and Communications at the University, wrote that the piece was placed there for a critique, an evaluation process common in Sam Fox courses. 

“The banner was part of a student art project that was displayed by the student during an end-of-term critique,” Flory wrote. “It was up for a short time during the class activity and then was removed.”

Flory also wrote that the University intends on protecting student speech.

“We will protect the ability of our faculty and students to express their views,” said the email. “Even those views some may find offensive.”

Flory added that the University intends to follow up on any incidents that break University policy. 

Harassing, discriminatory or intimidating conduct is unacceptable at WashU,” the email read.
“We will address any reported instances of such behavior.”

In an email to Student Life, the creator of the piece, senior Dvora Redlich, explained her motivation for creating the piece.

I am a Jewish student who stands firmly against genocide and the Israeli state (which is an apartheid government),” Redlich wrote.

Redlich also said she believed that WUPD’s arrival amounted to an attempt to silence her speech.

“Regardless of your beliefs, shouldn’t we all be worried as students that WUPD was called on student artwork DURING a critique, which is the Sam Fox equivalent of an exam?” she wrote.  

At of the time of publication, WUPD did not respond to a request for comment on the event from Student Life.

Sam Fox administrators held a meeting with students in the course and several other Sam Fox members after the piece was taken down to discuss the events that took place at the critique. Some students defended the piece and were told that Sam Fox faculty was not responsible for calling WUPD.