Why you must visit the St. Louis Basilica - Student Life

Why you must visit the St. Louis Basilica

Elena Wierich | Staff Writer

Suspend your doubts for a second and consider this question: What if the most beautiful structure in the world is closer than you think? What if there was a building so stunning that the oldest, most beautiful churches in Europe couldn’t rival it? And what if it was in the Central West End?

Construction on the towering church started in 1907, during a time when St. Louis was one of the richest cities in the country. The Olympics had just been held at WashU, and the World’s Fair had just taken place in St. Louis. Stepping into the Basilica feels like stepping back into a time when St. Louis was almost named the nation’s capital and had a larger population than Los Angeles or Chicago. 

This is not my attempt to convince you to go to a cute church. This is me recommending something that will truly surprise you. The Basilica holds the world’s largest collection of mosaics, which adorn the ceiling and walls and create a glittery, dizzying effect. The inner-most dome is almost 200 feet high, a third of the height of the Arch. The first section of domed ceiling is peppered with images of important St. Louis Catholic institutions, including St. Louis University. 

Even though the Basilica is a religious institution, it’s also a cultural center for St. Louis. Guided tours are available every weekday from 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m, or on Sundays at 1 p.m. The Basilica also has incredible acoustics and is a dream destination for choirs around the world. I went to a performance by the Estonian Philharmonic Choir a few weeks ago and learned that the Basilica has an 8-second echo, allowing the singers to layer harmonies on top of each other over and over again. 

I recently came back from studying abroad in Madrid, where I saw my fair share of beautiful churches. They are — and I’m not kidding — not nearly as beautiful as the St. Louis Basilica. I know that sounds crazy, but make sure that you’re not discounting the church simply because it has “St. Louis” in the name. I’m happy to debate with you once you’ve been inside. 

When I came to WashU for undergrad (not because of the Basilica — I’m not that crazy), I was disappointed to find that most students weren’t interested in venturing out into the city. I wanted to see what other surprising parts of St. Louis I could uncover but couldn’t find anyone to explore with. I felt trapped in the WashU bubble: the stretch between Clayton and the Brentwood Trader Joe’s that allows WashU students to enjoy restaurants without having to run into many St. Louis natives. While part of this has to do with the inadequate metro system and the difficulty of navigating St. Louis without a car, I think the main reason is WashU’s culture, which attracts mostly coastal kids who buy into the narrative that St. Louis doesn’t have anything that San Francisco, Boston, or Chicago can’t provide. 

So I started forcing my friends to visit the St. Louis Basilica with me. We would go out to dinner in Clayton or lunch in the Central West End, and unless one of us had somewhere to be, I would suggest going to the Basilica afterwards. It became a running joke in my friend group that I was set on converting my (mostly atheist or Jewish) friends. But each time we went, a new friend would go silent for a second when entering the Basilica, then turn to me and say, “It’s stunning.” I had a series of deep, engrossing conversations with friends about spirituality, beauty, and appreciating St. Louis. 

So, if you want to have a deep conversation with a friend, or if you’re looking for an escape from the WashU bubble, or if you just have a desire to see something beautiful — take a chance and visit the St. Louis Basilica, and believe that you can be surprised by St. Louis.

More in Best Of STL 2026

Sign up for the email edition

Stay up to date with everything happening at Washington University and beyond.

Subscribe