Op-Ed: So you wanna go to space? An astronaut’s guide to becoming one

Brandon Rios | Class of 2022

Every kid at least once in their life dreams of becoming an astronaut. The appeal of strapping into a rocket and hurtling out of the atmosphere at a speed of about 8 kilometers per second simply sounds like the most exhilarating experience one can have. In light of our very own Washington University alum, Bob Behnken, being launched up into space to live and work on the International Space Station (ISS), I was motivated to find out what it takes to follow in his footsteps.

In order to fulfill my search for answers on what it takes to become an astronaut, I decided to ask one. The 2020 graduating class of NASA astronauts features highly skilled and extremely qualified men and women from across North America. One of these exceptional graduates is Dr. Frank Rubio, an Army Lieutenant Colonel who has accumulated over 1,100 hours as a Blackhawk helicopter pilot and went on to earn a Doctorate of Medicine. As a Hispanic man growing up in Miami, and the first Salvadorian astronaut, Dr. Rubio is a huge inspiration not only to Hispanics (a severely underrepresented demographic in STEM careers) but to all races and ethnicities. Dr. Rubio did not let social barriers hold him back from achieving greatness and a life full of happiness and success. When I asked him what it feels like to be a role model to Hispanic men and women and representing his Salvadorian background, Dr. Rubio said he tries not to think of it. Carrying the weight of an entire demographic is a lot of pressure, and he tries his best to stay humble, even in a job where he will quite literally be on top of the world one day. “Once it’s all said and done,” he said, “I’d like to look back and be grateful for the good job I hopefully did.”

As much as we all like to think of astronauts as floating around in space all the time, of course they don’t spend their entire careers up there. So what are they doing for the majority of the time when they are stuck on Earth like the rest of us? Given the current state of the world with the pandemic, there were two parts to this answer: a historical one and a modern day one. In a world without COVID-19, Dr. Frank Rubio would spend his time training in all ISS systems, improving his expertise on these systems to prepare for a potential mission aboard. Also on his training regimen is proficiency flying a T-38 jet. Probably the most exciting part of his training, he says, is practicing EVAs (Extravehicular Activities) wearing the space suit. The space suit is a 500 pound conglomeration of metal and kevlar fabric. “After six hours practicing with the space suit in the neutral buoyancy lab you burn as many calories as running a marathon; it’s extremely exhausting,” said Dr. Rubio.

Dr. Rubio also receives training by practicing operating robotics such as the Canadarm, a remote controlled mechanical arm used to maintain and repair the Space Station, as well as providing input to the teams of engineers assembling hardware and equipment for the crew. Nowadays much of his training has been paused thanks to COVID-19, to which Dr. Rubio admits the job has taken on a bit more of a dull tone; “Take away the fun and active part and throw in more virtual meetings,” he said regarding the change. We surely share the general aversion towards the virtual takeover, Dr. Rubio, and just like you we look forward to the return of in-person training.

At this point in my conversation with Dr. Rubio, I understood quite well what astronauts do, but was still unclear on how to become one. When I asked, I did not exactly receive the answer I was looking for. “There is no one set path on becoming an astronaut; everyone is different. One thing to note is that NASA is not interested in people who are just trying to check boxes in hopes of looking good on an application.”

Dr. Rubio goes on to elaborate on what NASA does look for in its astronaut candidates: academic excellence combined with operational experience in high-stress environments. Being up in space where the slightest malfunction could lead to sudden death is obviously a bit anxiety-inducing, which is why NASA emphasizes the need for candidates to have had experience dealing with these high-stress situations in order to prepare them for similar situations they may encounter in space, and know how to respond calmly and efficiently.

Truth be told, I was a bit disheartened at Dr. Rubio’s intentional ambiguity when answering my question. I was hoping for a roadmap on becoming an astronaut; first I should do this, and then apply for X internship and then work at Y company which finally leads you to Z. As it turns out, no one path makes an individual any more suited for the challenges of being an astronaut over any other. The reality is, “You must be pursuing a challenging passion,” says Dr. Rubio.

It could be field research in South America, or Antarctica where overcoming environmental obstacles is the challenge. Most of the time however, it’s the military. This is something I wanted to know more about. I noticed that historically, NASA predominantly recruited male military pilots. In more recent years, NASA’s astronaut candidates have come from various walks of life, though still the majority had military backgrounds. When confronted about this fact and my question of “Is military experience more likely to make you an astronaut?” Dr. Rubio frankly answered, “No, it will not.”

Recall that NASA looks for courageous individuals with operational functionality in high-stress environments. Naturally, the military is a sure-fire way to gain such experience since training will force those situations upon you. Dr. Rubio goes on to explain that historically, NASA required military pilots because they were the ones most suited to manually fly the rocket ships to get to the moon. However, due to the recent advancements in technology, rocket ships and other space vehicles are becoming increasingly automated, reducing the need for manual control. This means that astronaut candidates are transitioning towards more engineering-focused backgrounds because it is imperative to understand and know how to operate advanced technological systems used for space travel, especially because NASA has just changed the minimum educational requirement to become an astronaut to a master’s degree in a STEM-related field. Recalling his roots growing up in Miami, Dr. Rubio encourages young Hispanic boys and girls to pursue careers in STEM and keep working towards their dreams, hopefully at NASA, to increase diversity.

“So what’s next,” I asked.

“Now that you are an astronaut, what does the future look like?” It may be years before it happens, but Dr. Rubio will hopefully be selected for a mission up to space—but where exactly, he has yet to find out. As we know, NASA has big plans to send astronauts back to the moon with the Artemis program, and a bit further down the road, to the Red Planet. Dr. Rubio admits that most likely he will be selected for a mission to the ISS for maintenance for 3-9 months. He remains hopeful for a moon mission, but he knows that will take time. All the astronauts train extensively for their mission, so whatever he gets chosen for, he will be more than ready.

I began to wonder: Would it be easier getting to the moon this time since we have already had experience doing so and have had many years’ worth of technological advancement and planning? Dr. Rubio answers, “Unfortunately, we can’t just reuse the same rocket and fly back to the moon like we did in the 70’s. It may be even harder getting to the moon now because safety ratings have changed drastically since the last time. Night and day kind of difference.”

Yes, it is true that the technology allows for a more automated and efficient launch, but NASA’s number one priority is still the safety of its astronauts, so every piece of equipment must meet the highest level of safety and testing before being used by the crew. This is something the crew gives much input and feedback to the engineers—especially Dr. Rubio. As a medical doctor, his feedback is trusted as an authority for everything that touches the human body.

It truly is a group effort by everyone at NASA, each team contributing a specific part of the whole, which ultimately leads up to a successful mission. Dr. Rubio looks forward to the next chapter in his career, but never forgets those who have helped him along the way. Great bosses and peers have all contributed to his success as an army pilot, doctor and now astronaut. Dr. Rubio emphasizes the need to remain humble in his line of work.

“I’ve learned just as much, if not more, from those lower in rank than me in the military, as well as nurses that work with me. Everyone has something they can contribute and you can learn from.” I am extremely grateful to have spoken with such a successful man—a true inspiration not only to the Hispanic community which he represents with pride, but to everyone. I learned a lot about what it takes to pursue one’s passion and I look forward to the future of space travel, hopefully with me, and others from underrepresented demographics in STEM, as active participants.

The prospect of space travel has been a passion of mine since I was little, and something that I’ve worked towards ever since. Being able to contribute to society in such a meaningful way as advancing humanity’s status as a multi-planetary species is the most rewarding accomplishment I can think of. Hearing from an individual with a similar upbringing to mine, who has already successfully traveled down the road I wish to pursue, gives me much needed encouragement and clarity to fearlessly follow my dreams. I hope to put into practice all that I’ve learned from Dr. Rubio in order to follow in his footsteps, and share this experience with my peers so we may all benefit from his teachings and gain the motivation to achieve greatness.