NOW That’s What I Call Country

Stuffed with the best known names in country music, “Now That’s What I Call Country” is the perfect hits CD for country music lovers. The songs are quite diverse, with popular songs from Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, Reba McEntire, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban and Sara Evans, among others. Due to a personal dislike of country, the album was tough to sit through.

However, I enjoyed the variety of sounds and tempos presented in the compilation. Paces vary from fast and rock-tinged to slow, heart-wrenching ballads: the stuff country is made of. The remake of “Because of You” with Reba McEntire and Kelly Clarkson is actually a compelling, talent-filled piece—better than the original. Other songs, such as “Stay” by Sugarland, even made me question my dislike of country music. On the other hand, “Trying to Stop Your Leaving” by Dierks Bentley proves detrimental to the overall sound of the album. Another notable song is Julianne Hough’s “That Song In My Head.” Whether or not you prefer her dancing to her singing, the song is a simple reminder that multi-talented people do exist.

All in all, “Now That’s What I Call Country” is a must-have for avid country music listeners and a potential listen for non-country folks who are looking for new sounds.