2019 Sex Survey reveals students’ sex habits

News Editors

Student Life’s 2019 Sex Survey found that 74 percent of respondents (approximately 1,406 people) said they have had sex. This is a decrease from the 2018 survey when it was reported that 75 percent of students have had sex.

2,027 people took the survey from Jan. 28 to Feb. 9. This is an increase from the 2018 survey when 1,188 people were polled.

Seventy-five percent of respondents reported that they were heterosexual. Twelve percent said they were bisexual, 5 percent said they were homosexual, 5 percent said they were questioning and 2 percent said they were asexual. When reporting their gender identity, 60 percent said they were cisgender female, 37 percent said they were cisgender male and 1 percent said they were genderqueer.

When qualifying what they considered to be sex, 98 percent of respondents said vaginal penetration counted. Seventy-five percent said anal penetration counted as sex and 45 percent said oral sex counted.

Approximately 52 percent of respondents said the first time they had sex was during high school. Following that, approximately 24 percent of respondents said their first time was during their freshman year.

At the time of taking the survey, approximately 41 percent of students said they were in a relationship. Sixty percent of students said they had had one relationship since coming to college. Twenty-four percent said they had been in two relationships since coming to college.

For students who said they have had sex, approximately 77 percent of students said they used male condoms. Fifty-six percent said they used a form of hormonal birth control, and 25 percent of respondents said they had an IUD.