Five must-have pieces for spring

and | Staff Writers

Stephen Huber | Student Life

This recent outpouring of rain means that spring has recently sprung, and it hasn’t come a moment too soon. However, the weather here in St. Louis is known to change quite quickly, so you may have found yourself—and especially your closet—quite unprepared to take on the fashion scene this spring. Here are the pieces you should secretly order from Amazon with your mother’s credit card.

1. Crop Top

Formerly only appropriate for parties and music festivals, this summer staple is making its way into street style this season. This season’s crops come in a wide variety of luxe materials, from leather to lace, and are longer than the bralette-like tops of last summer. In order to rock this trend for class, make sure to a) choose something with a conservative neckline, b) show just a sliver of midriff and c) pair with high-waisted bottoms in order to look chic, not trashy. I don’t care how proud you are of your abs: I don’t want to see them in chemistry at 9 a.m.

2. Statement Jacket

Although the weather is supposed to be getting warmer, grab a colorful peacoat or rain jacket in order to brighten up the overcast sky during the upcoming chilly days. In order to prevent yourself from appearing childlike, choose one with an allover solid color rather than a print. Peacoats are perfect for trying to look a bit more professional, so put one on for your walk to your business class or even just the next time you visit Einstein Bros. Bagels in Simon Hall. Rain jackets are better suited for casual activities that require a lot of time spent outdoors, so be sure to wear yours to the upcoming ThurtenE carnival. Both kinds of jackets are especially spring-like in bright pastels but, if you’re trying to look a bit more rugged, subdued oranges and blues are still nice departures from the usual black.

3. Sheer Blouse

The ultimate way to be tasteful but feminine and sexy, this season’s sheer fabrics manage to leave a bit to the imagination. To keep on trend, layer pieces in a graphic way so that what’s underneath creates an interesting geometry. It is important to think about the context in which you will be wearing the blouse. At night, you may be able to get away with just a bralette underneath, but for class, the same shirt may require a camisole. Think before you wear or you may get awkward looks in Olin.

4. Kimono

These bohemian wrap sweaters are hardly what comes to mind when one thinks of the traditional Japanese kimono. Instead, they are hitting the streets as flowing, sheer layers. If open cardigans and artistic scarves had a love child, this season’s kimono would be it. Try layering one with high-waisted shorts or jeans and a simple top. In order to avoid looking like you are on your way to Coachella, make sure to keep your other pieces simple.

5. Statement Necklace

When investing in a statement necklace, a key consideration is versatility. Consider length, color and style before choosing a piece that will fit into your wardrobe. Longer necklaces may be particularly wearable because they don’t depend as much on the neckline of your choice top. Motifs that are particularly in for this season are all things eccentric: think graphic, bold and eclectic.