WashU Wrapped: ‘On Hold with the IRS’ brings community and camaraderie to center stage

and | Senior Forum Editor, Contributing Writer

On Hold with the IRS members Nick Rodriguez, Solly Lerman, Caroline Haber, Charlie Morrison and Jake Tindall perform at The BAO in Clayton. (Credits to Lily Kapner)

The sounds of thudding drums, bouncing keyboard, jazzy saxophone, laughing, and chatting swept through the halls of Park as we walked towards a music practice room. Slowly cracking open the door, we tried not to interrupt what we expected to be a traditional music practice. Instead, we were immediately welcomed by junior Caroline Haber, the band’s singer and pianist, who assured us that we weren’t interrupting — this was a writing session, and they had been messing around and improvising on their respective instruments. The band had just started writing originals but has been playing gigs and developing a unique sound for a little over a year.

Charlie Morrison, who we interviewed separately from the rest of the band, said that his goal going into sophomore year was to start a band. He first reached out to mutual friends, which led him to junior Jake Tindall, IRS’ drummer. Through the Performing Musicians Resource Group (PMRG) list, a directory of WashU musicians looking for others to play with, they found sophomore bassist Solly Lerman.

After connecting with junior Abbey Russell, their former singer, On Hold with the IRS completed their original lineup. Yet finding time to play together proved more difficult. Even on their first meeting time, Abbey ran into a last-minute conflict. “Hey, weird twist of events,” Tindall remembered Abbey saying, “But my identity was stolen, and I’m on hold with the IRS.” Tindall remembered thinking, “That’d be a kinda cool band name.”

After a few shows, the band wanted to expand by adding a saxophonist and brought in junior Nick Rodriguez, the most traditionally trained musician of the group. It was Lerman’s idea to bring in the saxophone, and it soon became clear to the whole band how valuable Rodriguez was. Morrison described their first performance with Rodriguez, recalling that “There was a big difference…sonically, it was bigger. Sax just adds so much oomph.”

Nick Rodriguez (Credits to Lily Kapner)

His real initiation into On Hold with the IRS was through a voicemail — one that Rodriguez still has saved. Lerman’s voice played through Rodriguez’s speakerphone: “Hi, my name is Solly. I’m the bassist for On Hold with the IRS, a band on campus, if you’ve ever heard of us. And we are looking for a saxophone player and also possibly a vocalist. So let me know…if you want to come jam with us. Bye!” After listening to the voicemail for the first time, Lerman recalled, “I felt like a total badass.” Rodriguez has been a part of the band ever since.

Charlie Morrison (Credits to Lily Kapner)

The band does not limit itself to a specific genre. Lerman described it as a mix of pop; rock; R&B; and, more recently, jazz. The band plays a wide variety of covers, altering the style to make each one unique. One of their favorite songs to play, for example, is “New Body Rhumba” by LCD Soundsystem, where Haber added a classical synth arrangement on keyboard in the middle. They also prioritize playing popular songs that can engage the audience, with other favorites being “WAP” by Cardi B and Remi Wolf’s cover of “Pink + White” by Frank Ocean.

After some initial friction around choosing covers, the band decided on an equitable process. Now, every member gets to choose at least one song — guaranteed in every set. Although minimal conflict arises within the band, when it does, Lerman said, “The band, as a whole, is very receptive…​​we’re good at being respectful and in making changes.”

On Hold with the IRS wrote its first original last spring and has since performed roughly two originals at each show. For the band, writing originals is a very collaborative process. “We’ve kept it a very safe, open space where you can be very vulnerable with your lyrics or whatever you’re sharing,” Haber said. 

One or more band members will come to the practice with something prepared, such as lyrics, a chord progression, or a melody. If someone — often Haber — comes in with lyrics, the band will then workshop chords and melodies that can work with them, or vice versa. The band created a novel approach to originals with a game called “Tinder Songwriting.” Members improvise musical ideas and, like on the app, say if they want to swipe left, indicating they do not want to continue with the idea, or right, indicating that they do. 

Looking forward, On Hold with the IRS wants to work on recording an EP. Conveniently, sax player and vocalist Rodriguez is also a sound engineer, a fact that the band discovered in the course of the interview. “Alright, we’re all set,” the band agreed.

When asked what sets the band apart from others on campus, Lerman said, “I think IRS shows are characteristically different from other shows.” On Hold with the IRS is arguably most known for its fun and energetic shows, where band members are “just trying to be silly with the audience,” Morrison explained. 

Each show, they try to set a costume theme for the audience and band members. In their second show, for example, you could either dress as someone from the 70s or 80s, or as an IRS agent. One of their most recent shows, at restaurant The BAO in Clayton, was a mix of burlesque, drag, and masquerade. 

The band doesn’t focus on perfecting techniques during shows, but rather on having a good time while playing music for friends. “Every time, after every show, I come out thinking, ‘Man, it’s just so much fun,’” Tindall said.

Every show, Morrison sets this mood. He takes the band into a corner of the venue — one that they frequent, a boiler room — and he shares what each member brings to the band. No one member brings the same thing: “We’re different people, and we’re all in a band because of our shared love for this. I think that is the flame that doesn’t die,” Morrison explained. Even during the interview, the band members went back and forth describing one another, becoming increasingly happy.

Initially, the band dove into characterizing Charlie Morrison. As the band described, he is not only extremely passionate and enthusiastic about music and the band, bringing creative ideas to the table, but he is also the backbone. He is integral to the band’s organization and logistics. “Charlie’s our leader,” Haber explained. “He’s the reason sh*t gets done,” Lerman added.

According to the band, Caroline Haber is fundamental to their energy. In Lerman’s words, “She is the essence of being On Hold with the IRS.” While her enthusiasm keeps the band energized every practice, it’s her vocals that the other members are constantly in awe of. “She has the kind of voice that, when you hear it, you go ‘Wow.’ It’s not just like, ‘Oh, that’s pretty.’ It’s wow. It…punches you in the stomach. It’s really special,” Morrison expressed.

Caroline Haber (Credits to Lily Kapner)

When it was time to describe Solly Lerman, there was a pause, then a bout of laughter. “He doesn’t shut up,” Morrison said. Beyond the joking, it is clear that the band deeply values Lerman. “You know what’s gonna be good for all of us. And you make sure to say that,” Rodriguez told him. 

Jake Tindall is the quintessential drummer. “He’s the one that counts you in…he makes sure we’re all on beat,” Haber said. He’s also the opposite of the stereotypical flaky drummer, as he’s extremely reliable. When the band recalled a practice that Tindall was not there for, Haber jumped in: “Ooh, it was bad.”

Amongst the members, there is a clear appreciation for Nick Rodriguez’s knowledge of music theory, which has helped the band expand musically. Morrison said, “It was just like, okay, this feels right,” when Rodriguez became a new addition. “We were a band, but now we’re a family.”

In separate interviews, Tindall and Morrison expressed similar reflections on how practice makes them feel. Tindall explained, “We all walk in in different moods,” or as Morrison expressed, “You come in, and you’re kind of pissed off for whatever reason.” But, Morrison continued, “Consistently, within 20 minutes, you’re in a better mood. And that’s what playing music does to you with friends.” Tindall noted, “Every time we leave practice…we all walk out together.”

The On Hold with the IRS known throughout campus involves flashy themes, spunky covers, and a communal atmosphere in every show. With sing-alongs, dancing, and call and response, they distinguish themselves from other bands by placing the band and audience on equal footing. The band creates a seamless flow between performance, engagement, and audience response. It is clear that this dynamic is an extension of the community they’ve created with each other.

Although the band has greatly evolved since its start as a jam sesh between mutual musicians, On Hold with the IRS still thrives on a shared enjoyment of music, and of one another. It’s On Hold with the IRS’ bond that makes them what they are. As Rodriguez said, “I have been in other musical settings before this, but nothing has ever felt like being in this band.”

For more information on their upcoming shows, check out @onholdwiththeirs on Instagram. 

WashU Wrapped is a new series featuring student musicians and bands.