Chancellor Martin responds to latest Israel-Hamas war, affirms support for affected community members

Chancellor Andrew Martin released a statement on Oct. 10 on behalf of the Washington University administration in response to the “devastating events in Israel and Gaza” that occurred over the weekend.

“I know this situation is weighing heavily on the hearts and minds of a great many in our community,” Martin wrote in his email to the University community. “I felt it was important to take this opportunity to express my deep sorrow and offer my support to all who are hurting.”

On Saturday morning, Hamas, a Palestinian militant group and the governing body of the Gaza Strip, launched a surprise attack on southern and central Israel by sea, air, and ground. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared war on Hamas a few hours later, before launching a series of retaliatory air strikes in Gaza. Since the initial attack, at least 1,900 people have been killed.

In his email, Martin said that the University is composed of people from many different nationalities, including Israelis and Palestinians, and is committed to fostering a supportive environment for everyone.

“I urge you to take care of one another and engage in thoughtful and constructive dialogue with your peers and colleagues,” Martin wrote.

According to Martin, the University is working closely with relevant members of the community to provide any necessary assistance.

When asked for comment on the Chancellor’s statement, Julie Flory, vice chancellor for marketing and communications, wrote that the administration had nothing to add.

Martin’s statement regarding the latest war between Israel and Hamas is one of several released today. Rabbi Hershey Novack, co-director of Chabad, outlined goals to support the Chabad community and those in Israel. Dorian Traube, dean of the Brown School, also released a statement in which she encouraged the community to “check in with each other, ensuring that everyone feels cared for and supported.”

Martin echoed a similar sentiment and expressed concern for any future violence.

“Thousands of lives have already been lost in this conflict in just the past few days and I fear that this is only the beginning of what will be an incredibly painful chapter in modern history,” Martin wrote.