Pro-Choice Panel advocates for engagement in promoting reproductive freedom

| Contributing Writer

In the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision that overturned Roe v. Wade, a panel of specialists and social workers from activist organizations, including Pro-Choice Missouri and Medical Students For Choice (MSFC), explored the implications of Missouri’s ban on abortion rights for state residents on Oct. 24. Panelists also advocated for young people to join the movement and be a part of the statewide effort to protect reproductive rights.

The panel session was run by two of the University’s student-run organizations, College Democrats and Planned Parenthood Generation Action (PPGA). The organizations have historically been advocating for abortion and reproductive health educational programs, including abortion training and family planning.

Since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, Missouri legislatures have taken quick actions, as early as June, to eliminate the right to abortion.

Olivia Danner, the President of PPGA, said that even when Roe was law, abortion services in Missouri were hardly accessible, as the state’s only abortion clinic was in Saint Louis.

Missouri statutes now stipulate that abortion is to be performed only when the person’s life is in immediate danger.

“That’s very subjective,” Danner said. “Doctors are having trouble figuring out when the right time is to intervene.” 

The impacts of the Dobbs ruling have already led people to cross state lines to get abortions. 

“Every state that bans [abortion] pushes people who need care into another state,” Executive Director of MSFC Pamela Merritt said. “Every single state that gets a ban becomes more and more of a roadblock in the flow.”

A student in the audience asked about the future of the privacy rights of patients in the post-Roe era. The panelists predicted that the prospects will be bleak, as the Supreme Court has not taken a strong stance on the issue. 

“Every single state that is likely to ban abortion could potentially re-litigate and set their own legal framework for all of the privacy rights,” Merritt said.

According to Maggie Olivia, Policy Manager of Pro-Choice Missouri, crisis pregnancy centers that claim to provide services under terms of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) collect patient data, such as their menstrual cycles.

“The Director of the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services kept a spreadsheet of Planned Parenthood patients’ menstrual cycles, and he admitted this under oath,” Olivia said. “Nobody did anything about it because this is Missouri, and there’s no accountability here.”

As head of MSFC, Merritt also dissected the problem through her lens of expertise. 

“My biggest concern is that, without clinics, doctors can’t study — doctors who can’t study are going to where they can. Ultimately, it won’t take very long — we’re looking at three to five years — before we start seeing the regionalization of certain OB-GYN [obstetrics and gynecology] care,” she said.

The panelists suggested that there is still hope for reproductive healthcare, despite the obstacles. They offered words of encouragement to the audience, looking to inspire change-focused action.

Merritt asked prospective medical students to “not let universities pass easily” on their stance pertaining to this issue.

“If they’re located in a banned state, ask them whether or not they can send you a public statement from the administration, articulating the medical support for abortion training and family planning, training, and education,” she said. “If they don’t have a press release, if it’s not on their website, ask them why — and make a decision that’s right for you in your career.”

Olivia spoke about the confusion that was spread statewide after the overturn of Roe. 

“A hospital chain…cease[d] providing emergency contraceptive care for a matter of hours to rural Missourians, so please check your sources before sharing information that is rapidly changing so that we’re not accidentally hindering access [to services],” Olivia said.

She also encouraged students to talk bravely and firmly about abortion. 

“Use the word ‘abortion’ when abortion is what you’re talking about. Abortion is not bad or scary,” she said. “The more times that we can get folks to think about abortion in medically accurate terms, with respect and dignity, the further we can perpetuate that.”

The stake of the future lies in the hands of our generation, Merritt said. “Ultimately, the power lies in how outraged and disgusted and unapologetic you are in response to this.”

Editor’s Note:

Nov. 3: A previous version of this article incorrectly said that this event occurred with support from the University’s Social Policy Institute.