Phyllis Schlafly, recipient of Wash. U. honorary degree, dies at the age of 92

Phyllis Schlafly, a Washington University alumna and prominent St. Louis politicial activist, died of cancer Monday at her home in Ladue, Mo. at age 92.

A self-described housewife, Schlafly led volunteer-based campaigns against the Equal Rights Amendment, abortion and Communist values. Schlafly was a prolific author, having written 21 books, and an unending proponent of her opinions.

Schlafly earned a bachelor’s degree in political science from the College of Arts & Sciences at Washington University in 1944, a master’s in political science from Harvard University in 1945 and a juris doctorate from the Washington University School of Law in 1978, before passing the bar in Illinois.

Before and after graduating from the law school, Schlafly assisted with political campaigns in the St. Louis area, and she ran for Congress in 1952 and 1970 as the Republican candidate but lost in the general election both times. During the 1970s and 1980s, she worked to protest the Equal Rights Amendment, and her grassroots campaigning contributed to its eventual demise.

Most recently, Schlafly endorsed Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump this past March.

When asked if her active political career contradicted her conservative views of women’s roles, Schlafly referred to her activism as “a hobby.”

In 2008, the University made the controversial decision to award Schlafly a doctorate of humane letters.

Students, professors and community members organized a protest against the “anti-feminist” Schlafly in the weeks before Commencement, citing her views regarding sexual assault, abortion and lack of inclusion. All members of the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies department, including current department chair and professor Mary Ann Dzuback, participated in a silent protest during commencement exercises upon Schlafly’s receipt of the award. Students and faculty members also participated by staying silent and turning around in protest.

In a statement read by former emerita trustee Margaret Bush Wilson at the 2008 Commencement prior to Schlafly’s acceptance, University administrators defended their choice to honor her.

“One of the great virtues of America is that people are not expected to agree with one another. Mrs. Schlafly has unceasingly debated and argued her views in this true American tradition,” Wilson said.

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to reflect the correct details of the silent protest held during commencement.