Fall 2013 class recommendations

It’s time to choose classes for the fall semester. Filling clusters and integrations aside, this is an exciting time and a chance to get outside of your academic comfort zone. Here are our picks for the best classes on campus:

Sahil Patel, Editor-in-Chief: Beginning Hindi I

The Hindi I and II sequence equals 10 total credits and a Language & the Arts cluster. On top of that, professor Mohammad Warsi maintains a positive learning environment and keeps class entertaining with jokes and videos. Go through the grammar and vocabulary of one of the world’s oldest languages, spoken by more than 1 billion people.

John Schmidt, Managing Editor: Greek Mythology

Whether you’re a lover of art, psychology, anthropology, literature or practically anything else, Greek Mythology is sure to pique your interest. Professor Timothy Moore makes the class more than just a survey of the Greek myths by including elements of psychoanalysis, anthropological theory and artistic representations of mythology spanning more than four millennia.

Derek Shyr, Managing Editor: Introduction to Archaeology

Have you ever wondered what human lifeways were like 3 million years ago? Introduction to Archaeology will not only show you how the past is reconstructed and presented but also easily fulfill one of your social sciences requirements. Plus, Dean Darla Dale’s ebullient and funny personality makes lecture enjoyable and adventurous.

Emily Sybrant, Managing Editor: Typography and Letterform: The Design of Language

You might think you’re a typographic pro when you choose Times New Roman or Georgia for a paper, but there’s more to typefaces than the dropdown menu in Microsoft Word. Typography and Letterform will challenge your preconceptions about type, and you get to print with wood type on real printing presses.

Natalie Villalon, Senior Forum Editor: Exposition

Most of us took Writing 1, moaned about it, then never took another writing class. Exposition is completely different; focused on personal essays, this class will develop your writing skills while allowing you to develop a proper narrative voice. Take it with professor Bethany Daniels. She is a goddess. Friendly and encouraging in class discussion, she also actually gives you useful feedback on your essays. Bonus: it’s a writing-intensive course, so you can get that pesky requirement out of the way in an enjoyable way.

Alex Leichenger, Senior Sports Editor: Community Building

If you can spare six hours of class per week and two Saturdays for walking tours, take Community Building with architecture professor Bob Hansman, who will teach this course for the final time in fall 2013. You will grapple up close and personal with the lingering legacy of segregation and urban decay in St. Louis and learn about similar issues in other American cities.

Caroline Ludeman, Senior Scene Editor: Introductory Psychological Statistics

Introductory Psychological Statistics is a great introduction to statistics for those who enjoy problem solving. Professor Sara Estle thoroughly explains the concepts and provides time at the end of class to practice problems on your own, which is extremely helpful when reviewing for exams. And there’s no final!

Zach Kram, Copy Chief: Introduction to Linguistics

There isn’t a better breakfast than word trees with a side of phonetic transcriptions. Take Introduction to Linguistics with professor Brett Hyde—not only does he make class entertaining, but he isn’t reluctant to introduce his class to more advanced topics if it masters the linguistic basics.

Richard Matus, Social Media Director: Politics of the European Union

For those interested in political science without lofty philosophy, professor Matthew Gabel touches on European institutions, the evolution of the European Union and the ongoing Euro crisis. One day is dedicated to a fun political bargaining simulation, but mostly Gabel shares his European experiences and research in a concise way with two noncumulative exams.