A case for cancel culture

Dakotah Jennifer | Staff Writer

“Canceling” people for saying the wrong thing, or promoting the wrong business, or using the wrong terminology is very common on social media now, and a bit controversial. “Cancel culture” has arisen from a rising frequency of canceling influential people on social media. Claiming something or someone is “canceled” is a call for a boycott or shaming of that person’s actions—whether you unfollow them, stop watching their TV shows and films or stop purchasing their makeup products and merchandise. Canceling someone usually means you stop supporting them, socially and financially, because of something offensive or ignorant that they’ve said or done. For instance, James Charles was canceled for a tweet where he claimed he was afraid he’d get ebola on his trip to Africa.

Recently, I’ve seen more and more critiques of cancel culture. To some, cancel culture may be synonymous with consequences for one’s actions, and to others, it is a way to shut people down without listening to them. Either way, I don’t really care—I understand cancel culture, and I support its intentions. To put it simply: I am for cancel culture, and here’s why.

Of course, in a time like ours, listening to each other and not silencing communities is very important, and canceling someone for saying or doing something considered not “politically correct” may be hindering their growth—shaming them instead of allowing them to learn. Cancel culture has the potential to alienate and segregate us. But here’s the thing: cancel culture is not an attempt to create division among us. It is an attempt at safety and protection for people who have been traditionally marginalized and alienated in society.

As a Black woman, racism and sexism affect me greatly. I have also learned the importance of mental health and the toll words can take. Hearing racist, sexist words come from influential people and celebrities, and knowing people support them all the while, often takes a mental toll, and sometimes, it feels worse than a personal interaction in which the same words are said. I have had many a day when I wanted people to stop speaking because what they said harmed me, and it doesn’t change when those people are celebrities. If anything, I want larger repercussions for such public figures. With cancel culture, those repercussions are instituted and people are held responsible.

I do want to be clear: I do not support the violent or vengeful sides of cancel culture. I don’t think threats, bullying and doxing are helpful—I don’t even think they should be included in cancel culture—but I do think the spread of canceling is important, and it is a way of protecting one community and boycotting someone’s offensive and ignorant ideas or actions. The core aspect of cancel culture is essentially boycotting, and a “protest” message can easily be spread through the online sphere.

Canceling is critiqued because it feels too final and swift, but some cannot wait decades before they begin a boycott. In a time when everything moves at lightning speed, boycotting should, too. The frequent critique of cancel culture—that it is too harsh—feels like a request for mercy or absolution and forgiveness of those being canceled. A lack of consequences for celebrities and influencers often means they don’t learn about the extent of the harm they inflict, and sexism and racism ignored and unchecked only grows.

When I’ve been in personally harmful situations, where someone has said or done something racist or sexist that offended or hurt me, I wanted to censor them. I wanted them to never speak again because then I would be safe and have no fear of their damaging words or actions. I knew it wasn’t fair, but it was instinct. It was an innate reaction to having my very identity invalidated. It was a way of protecting myself, and in those cases, the person rarely faced any consequences. With cancel culture, we hold those more public and influential people responsible for their actions—we create consequences with canceling, and because cancel culture creates caution, it deters and chastises.

Cancel culture, in my opinion, seems to be a type of coping or the creation of a safer space. I don’t think other people should be silenced, but I don’t think I should be either. Cancel culture is a way to shut people out who threaten our well-being—mentally or physically—and it is a valid way of doing so. Even if I were to dislike cancel culture, I don’t think it is my place to criticize it—who am I to tell people that they are wrong for shunning someone whose actions have harmed them? I understand completely the desire to shut people out, and when those people are influential and supported in society, there must be a way to do that. It is a relief to see someone made responsible for insensitive actions. Canceling someone can bring closure and consequences—I can’t oppose that.