‘American Idiot’ to play Peabody Opera House

| Senior Cadenza Editor
Where
Peabody Opera House
When
March 2nd – 8 p.m.
March 3rd – 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
March 4th – 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Price
$22-$92

Don’t want to be an American idiot? You might be if you miss out on this weekend’s performances of the Green Day musical at the Peabody Opera House. “American Idiot” opened on Broadway in April 2010 and stayed running for almost a year. It has been touring the country since the beginning of 2012, and its time in St. Louis is here.

“American Idiot” is a one-act musical that seems more like a concert than a play. It includes the entirety of Green Day’s 2004 album “American Idiot,” plus a few songs added from more recent effort “21st Century Breakdown,” including lead single “21 Guns.” There is a loose story connecting the songs that centers on three best friends who plan to leave their small town. Things don’t go as wonderfully as planned, of course. Johnny moves to the big city but finds drugs while he’s there. Tunny, disaffected with urban life, decides to join the army. Will is forced to stay in town when he learns that his girlfriend is pregnant.

There is very little dialogue, and, like I said, the storyline is loose. Interested viewers should not go in expecting a strong storyline. Instead, they should imagine it as a rock concert with a little Broadway flair. Some songs, like “American Idiot,” and “Holiday,” shine and make the whole experience worthwhile. Others, like “Extraordinary Girl,” just leave you a little confused.

If you’re a fan of the 2004 rock opera album, then “American Idiot” is a show for you. The songs change up the rock melodies to allow for harmony, but it usually sounds amazing. As long as you don’t expect a strong book, you won’t be disappointed.