St. Louis fall concert preview

Cadenza Staff

Tonight’s impending Tokyo Police Club concert got us here in Cadenza pretty excited, so instead of just telling you about it, we decided to throw together a fall concert preview. Here are some our most anticipated events.

Tokyo Police Club

Tokyo Police Club plays at the Gargoyle at 8 p.m on Monday, Sept. 12, 2011.

Tokyo Police Club – Short of failing to get a ticket, Wash. U. students have no excuse for not coming out to enjoy Tokyo Police Club’s stop in St. Louis. These indie rockers native to Ontario are playing for free right in our own backyard. The band is well known to Canadian alternative-music aficionados, and it is beginning to make waves in the States, especially after the drop of the group’s 2010 album, “Champ.” Making a special appearance is St. Louis’ own Union Tree Review. (Tonight, 8 p.m., The Gargoyle) – Elena Bell

They Might Be Giants might be getting old, but they’re still as much of a college staple as Ramen noodles. Since forming in the late ‘80s, They Might Be Giants has become an important part of the alternative/pop scene, and their newest album, “Join Us,” follows their usual pattern of quirky and catchy songs. The band’s music ranges far and wide, and their lyrical non-sequiturs are always entertaining. After nearly thirty years of playing to college students, They Might Be Giants know what they are doing. (9/24, 8 p.m., The Pageant) – Trevor Leuzinger

Aretha Franklin and Jay Leno – Okay, so this one’s more of a gala than a concert, but it’s still worth mentioning. The Peabody Opera House is reopening after a 14-month renovation process, and these two celebrities have been called in to celebrate the premiere affair. It may be a bizarre mix of semi-stale comedy and some rocking by the Queen of Soul, but the benefit promises to be a good time. Proceeds go to the John L. Trotter Multiple Sclerosis Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Maybe it’s not for our generation, but this event definitely deserves some r-e-s-p-e-c-t. (10/1, 8 p.m., Peabody Opera House) – Andie Hutner

Death Cab for Cutie – The good news is, Death Cab for Cutie puts on a fantastic show. For a band with multiple radio hits, a song on the Twilight soundtrack and several mentions on “The O.C.,” Death Cab has somehow mystically managed to retain its cool factor. The latest album, “Codes and Keys,” pretty much sticks to what Death Cab does best: a mellow, alt-rock sound and choruses you can sing along to, but with a slight new edge of electronica. The bad news is, the show at the Pageant is already sold out. St. Louis just loves Death Cab too much for its own good. (10/2, 8 p.m., The Pageant) – Nora Long

Arctic Monkeys – “Suck It and See,” the title of Arctic Monkeys’ latest album, succinctly sums up what their sound is all about. With Alex Turner’s in-your-face vocals and Jamie Cook’s raw guitar riffs, Arctic Monkeys is an act that you need to take in live to understand why crowds go wild at every one of their shows. The band is set to rock The Pageant with new material like the fiery “Brick By Brick” and the heavier, slower anthem, “She’s Thunderstorms.” Of course you can expect some staples off of their classic album “Favourite Worst Nightmare,” like “Fluorescent Adolescent,” to be played as well. For anyone in the mood for some pop-inspired Brit-rock, this show is not to be missed. (10/4, 8 p.m., The Pageant) – Matt Freilich

Wilco – This show at the Peabody Opera House will bring to St. Louis a unique combination of old and new. Formed in Chicago 17 years ago, the alt-rock band Wilco has been compared to Radiohead and My Morning Jacket. Its members have honed their performing skills with many years on the concert circuit. They are slated to release their newest album, titled “The Whole Love,” a week before the concert, meaning that there will be fresh, unfamiliar songs not only for the curious new Wilco fan but also for the long-time Wilco devotee. The show is already sold out, but tickets can be found for elevated prices online; regardless, no one should miss this extraordinary band’s performance in this unique and historic location. (10/4, 7:30 p.m., Peabody Opera House) – Joe Bernardi

Matt Nathanson – Before some of the freshmen were born, Matt Nathanson released his first album, “Please.” Now, 18 years later, he’s back with “Modern Love.” Nathanson pushes the boundaries of his usual sound with a rockier flair, especially heard in songs like “Mercy” and “Queen of (K)nots.” On the All Night Noise Tour, you’re likely to hear some old favorites like “Come On, Get Higher,” along with new songs that feature Nathanson’s breathy voice mixed with more up-tempo beats. Nathanson promises to bring a beautiful fall Night of Noise. (10/18, 8 p.m., The Pageant) – Alieza Schvimer