The songs of the summer

Alexis Hutchinson | Freshman Press Writer

Summer is always the perfect time for great friends, fun times, good vibes and most importantly, new music. This summer, our radios, phones and even Spotify accounts have been filled with these tunes, which happen to be the most downloaded, streamed and played songs this season.

The list compiled below is based on the well-known music charts Billboard, iTunes, Shazam, Spotify and Google Play. Media interactions, downloads, radio play, sales, tags and searches were all considered in ranking these songs.

1. “See You Again” — Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth

Written for “Furious 7,” “See You Again” combines rap with soulful music and creates a feeling of nostalgia and sympathy for anyone listening who has lost someone. It has topped all of the summer charts and found its way into our hearts.

2. “Cheerleader” — OMI

When introduced to the dance/electronic genre, “Cheerleader,” a reggae song with a soulful flair, conquered radio stations and social media outlets. OMI optimistically and cheerfully discusses his relationship with a girl while captivating the audience with his unique lyricism and beat. Whether you are making a Snapchat video or cruising with friends, “Cheerleader” is the song to put you in a good mood.

3. “Bad Blood” ­— Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar

This song took the Internet by storm due to Taylor Swift’s advertisement of the video, which contains minimal singing and mostly rapping, but it intrigues audiences, and the storyline behind the video—as well as the song itself—encapsulates Taylor Swift’s conception of feminism. It’s a very interesting take for Swift.

4. “Trap Queen” — Fetty Wap

This rap song is interesting, as it takes an unconventional approach to talking about love and Fetty Wap’s personal “relationship goals.” It is also extremely catchy, has completely transformed the way we say “1738” and has taken over our radio stations. It’s a perfect anytime song.

5. “Watch Me” — Silento

Made popular by Vine and Twitter, this song has become a national dance craze. Everyone nationwide is “whipping” and hitting the “Nae-Nae.” This dance song is perfect for any party or get-together.

6. “SHUT UP + DANCE” — WALK THE MOON

“SHUT UP + DANCE” is a very bubbly, alternative song that compels listeners to actually shut up and dance. It reminds the audience of a classic 1980s tune and also provides an interesting flair. It’s great for intimate get-togethers and friendly jam sessions.

7. “Can’t Feel My Face” — The Weeknd

This upbeat, catchy tune uses repetition and a techno beat to discuss The Weeknd’s feelings towards a woman who symbolizes drugs. The factors that make this song interesting are its simplicity and sense of euphoria. It’s great for a private headphone session or listening with friends.

8. “Uptown Funk” — Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars

Mixing classic funk sounds with new age rock and pop, Ronson and Bruno Mars shook up the music industry with this fun, dancing tune. It is perfect to play anytime and anywhere.

9. “Lean On” — Major Lazer & DJ Snake ft. MO

This song combines aspects of classic songs and motivational phrases with dance and electronic music to create a song that everyone can appreciate. If you want to dance, this is the song.

10. “Hey Mama” — David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha & Afrojack

This roster of artists creates a unique sound and song to dance to as well as sing. The lyricism and electronic beat make the song perfect for a party or to listen to with friends.

11. “Fight Song” — Rachel Platten

This song motivates anyone who feels the need to fight and take their life back. It leads listeners to sympathize with Platten and understand her struggle while giving them a sense of empowerment. It is a choice post-breakup song if you are ever feeling down.

12. “Honey, I’m Good” — Andy Grammer

Grammer has combined a country/folk sound with a dance/electronic beat that sends audiences into a trance. It also provides interesting insight on relationships and partying. It is a great party song.

13. “Where Are U Now” — Skrillex & Diplo ft. Justin Bieber

Although the video has sparked much controversy due to its insensitivity, “Where Are U Now” has listeners escaping into their inner feelings and questioning “Where are you?” while also forcing them to dance and feel the electronic beats of the infamous Skrillex and Diplo. This song is great for any occasion.

14. “Want to Want Me” — Jason Derulo

Jason Derulo has done it again. Since his “Whatcha Say” days, he has always managed to sneak into the summer’s top songs with his interesting songs about women and love.

15. “The Hills” — The Weeknd

This interesting, soulful song has taken audiences aback with its relatable lyrics and entrancing tune. The Weeknd, with two summer hits, has captured the social media generation. It is perfect for any occasion.

These musical selections vary quite a bit, but there seems to be a central theme and genre that the general population prefers.

Genre

Pop: six songs

Hip-Hop/Rap: three songs

Electronic/Dance: three songs

R&B/Soul: two songs

Alternative: one song

Theme

Love/Romance: six songs

Dance: four songs

Motivational: two songs

Illegal Substances: one song

Sex: one song

Bad Relationships: one song

It seems as if the pop genre and love/romance songs are the most popular this summer. This is possibly due to the upbeat manner and versatility of the music as well as the audience’s ability to connect and sympathize with the lyrics.

In previous years, the most popular songs included “Fancy” (2014), “Blurred Lines” (2013), “Call Me Maybe” (2012) and “Party Rock Anthem” (2011). All of these songs fall under the pop genre, but some are centered around love/romance while others are centered around dance.

These top 15 songs have appealed to the nation and are perfect for any time or place, and since summer is not over, you can still rock out to them!