Students, faculty respond to CNN hire of local Tea Partier

Washington University students and faculty are divided over the impact of CNN’s controversial decision to hire Dana Loesch as a political correspondent.

Loesch, co-founder of the St. Louis Tea Party, was hired this month to be the 24-hour news channel’s Tea Party expert for the 2012 election.

“I believe things have been shaken up,” Jessica A. Brown, a teacher of media literacy in University College, said. “[CNN’s hiring of Loesch] gets people out of their comfort zone, which is good.”

Loesch is the editor-in-chief of Andrew Breitbart’s website, Big Journalism, and the host of “The Dana Show,” a conservative talk show in St. Louis. She has also made numerous media appearances on FOX News, ABC, CBS and CNN and has been a guest on “Real Time with Bill Maher.”

While the controversy surrounding Loesch’s hiring is being debated across various media outlets, politically involved students have their own interpretations of the event.

Junior Kevin Paule, president of Young Americans for Liberty at Washington University, believes that CNN’s decision reflects its bipartisan audience.

“The Tea Party is not only a major force in the Republican party, but also in the American political scene,” Paule said, “[The Young Americans for Liberty] are happy to see that CNN has come to this realization as millions of Americans call for the shrinking of government.”

Sophomore Joel Yambert, president of the College Republicans, also believes that Dana Loesch will be a good addition to the network.

“I am quite excited to hear about Loesch’s hiring at the CNN network,” Yambert said. “I feel that she has a lot of good to put forward to the network, and she has a strong foundation in her ideals. I believe that she is an intelligent woman who is able to look at both sides and always tell a straight story—she tells it as it is, if you will.”

Yambert also mentioned the fact that many conservatives, himself included, feel that CNN has a liberal bias.

“I feel that her addition to their team will be great for those on the right wing,” Yambert said. “It will also provide a new perspective and add more of a fair situation in CNN’s delivery of politics to the American public.”

In contrast, Adam Shriver, a graduate student in Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology at the University and the leader of the St. Louis Activist Hub, believes that Loesch’s credibility as an analyst is questionable at best.

“Hiring Dana Loesch as an election analyst severely damages the credibility of CNN as a news organization, not because of the fact that she’s extremely conservative, but rather because she is a proponent of the Andrew Breitbart approach to journalism which is fundamentally dishonest when it comes to the gathering and presentation of information,” Shriver wrote in an e-mail to Student Life.

Shriver cited Loesch’s recent comments regarding Bristol Palin’s guest speaker controversy last week as an example of her dishonesty.

“Loesch was completely dishonest about the Bristol Palin controversy at Wash. U.…she claimed that Wash. U. paid Van Jones $20,000 to speak at the school,” Shriver said. “Actually, Van Jones usually speaks for $20,000, but agreed to speak at Wash. U. for only $5,000. Green Action applied for a small amount more for a panel, but they were turned down.”

Shriver concluded by addressing what, he believes, made this hiring controversial.

“There are plenty of honest people out there who can effectively communicate a conservative message,” he said. “I see no reason why CNN should hire a person with Loesch’s track record of pushing blatant misinformation.”

• Jimi

Wow Shriver!

Your ego takes up half of the article with your hate and obsession over Dana Loesch AND THEN you have the audacity to attack her again in comment section with Media Matters of all things? What method of philosophy are we using today?

Jimi

• Justin

Dana Loesch is THE worst thing to come out of St. Louis in recent years. She is a proven hypocritical nutcase.

• Adam

Bwahaha! Dana Loesch really sent people over from Big Journalism to a student newspaper to complain about an article that included quotes from the College Republicans and YAL? Really? Talk about being thin-skinned!

• george baikal

They didn’t hire Darling Dana for her extreme conservatism. They hired her as eye candy. The same way Fox didn’t hire Palin for intellectual contributions, but as a masturbatory outlet for its mostly male white middle aged audience.

• waicool

Dana Loesch presents a viewpoint the political left does not want to hear and are working to suppress. It is hypocritical, fascist and bigoted of the political left to suppress speech they do not agree with. So much for the university status of washu

• EricR

CNN can only improve it’s legitimacy by hiring a conservative. Taking it for granted that the Van Jones usual rate would be paid is not misinformation. Stating so is reason to disregard the opinion as biased. Van Jones is an admitted communist and that the university even paid him to speak at all is far worse than paying a celebrity that has no professional mission and only represents the values America was founded upon. Just putting them on the same level to make a point lends the reader an insight as to the what motivates the opinionated professor. In fact it is fair to say that Ms Palin is representative of what the political opposition to the American founding seeks to disenfranchise through political power. Far be it from the legitimate purpose of any government to interfere with the traditions of a moral people simply to create an ideological society which as yet has never been shown to be just or serve the natural rights of any people anywhere it has been set upon them.

• Troy

Who gives a damn what CNN does anyway? Their reporting of the news has essentially been a joke for years now. They’re free to hire and pander to whomever they like, and I’m free to not watch.

• Eric

This article source is censoring comments of those critical of the left.

• Jerome Bauer

This source censors comments of those critical of the status quo, left or right. Much of it is automated and probably temporary.

• Jerome Bauer

By “this source” I refer to College Publisher Network, specifically Student Life’s online edition, based on my own experience and the experience of my friends on the left and libertarian right. I don’t know about CNN or Media Matters. I have never posted on their discussion boards.

Sooner or later your blocked comment will go to a human moderator. This tseems to take longer in the summer when nobody is around.

• your mama

Dana can hold her own.
    Hopefully it will bring out the republican and conservative students.They need to get out there and be just as vocal as the left.The time has come.
    Now get out there and be heard!

• College_Grad

“Washington University students and faculty are divided over the impact of CNN’s controversial decision to hire Dana Loesch as a political correspondent.”

Is this how you spend your parents tuition and fees dollars? watching TV and worrying about CNN? Oh please grow up and study something useful to get your degree already!

• read, think, then post

You’re right, studying current events is not useful. Silly us. Perhaps if I would have shut myself off from the world, I could have graduated in 3.5 years instead of 4 and gotten my GPA up from 3.7 to a solid 3.8. Maybe then Stanford would have accepted me for grad school, but instead I’ll have to settle for Harvard.

• Cardilover

And you’ll still have problems finding a job.

• College_Grad

and if this paper did it’s research correctly, they’d probably find the split to be 90% in favor of Dana Loesch being on CNN to balance their reporting with 10% opposed to anything or anybody that is of the left-liberal slant. PS – the decision wasn’t ‘controversial’ according to CNN’s replies. Sounds like this paper also has a slant trying to editorialize the news.

• student

84% of statistics are made up on the spot.

• kguerra

CNN was the network that coined the vulgar term “Teabagger” so this is a surrender to mainstream America and common sense, and away from liberal bias and the socialist agenda.

So, of course, moveon.org, academics, and Soros are unhappy. They just want more jack-boot journalism from the marxist point of view. The censors and book burners, as usual, are always the leftists; very old school and Soviet-like.

The Tea Party movement is just a mainstream Constitutional and fiscal responsibility movement now being embraced around the world. The American Tea Party was 1-2 years ahead of the UK, Greece, Spain, Portugal, France and Germany in calling for reductions in the welfare state as a matter of national survival.

Dana Loesch is an articulate woman who brings much needed voice of mainstream America sanity to the liberal media via CNN. Their ratings are already up.

.

• Heidi

WOW, I know this is a school I WON’T be sending my kids to.

• Troy

Can’t stand to have those kids exposed to ideas that you don’t agree with, eh?

Some of us don’t believe that sheltering minds is the answer.

• washUbeaconoffreespeech

Let me understand becaus Van Jones only received $5,000 instead of $20,000 that makes a difference? Did he still speak at the University? Was he not allowed to speak? Was his event canceled?

• George Soros

Most of these students are so young that they don’t know chit from chinola.
    “If you’re in your 20s and not liberal, you don’t have a heart. If your in your 40s and not conservative, you don’t have a brain.” –Churchill.

• xfiler93

love how these “tolerant and compassionate” socialist liberals are so upset about differing opinions. such hypocrites.

• Lee

It’s wonderful what they are teaching these young minds of mush! If some one doesn’t agree with the leftist pap you’ve been spoon fed, then just SHUT THEM UP! No need for hearing different points of view! After all, your’s ideas the correct ones right?! No need in discussing or debating any ideas! Only a moron would fail to see that the reason that debate is an anathema to the left is because the truth and facts are not on their side and their positions will not stand up to reason and logic.

• Ann Onimus

“Dana Loesch Rocks” is a group on Facebook. All are welcome: Fans and haters alike–the moderator enjoys the debate and will never delete anyone’s comment. So join up and shake things up with your own opinion!

• Steven S. Hoffmann

Why on earth would we think that Washington University Students’ opinions of this would be valid, interesting, or newsworthy?

• CO2007

It’s the WU student newspaper.

• Student

Dana is no more “controversial” than any other conservative. I have no idea whether Shriver is right about Dana making a mistake regarding the amount Van Jones was paid, but if she was it was only a mistake – she is certainly not “fundamentally dishonest”.

(By the way, Breitbart and company have done a great job uncovering corruption and worse in groups like ACORN and Planned Parenthood – his methods are sometimes unorthodox, but making those methods the story instead of the corruption he reveals is nuts. And that he has been able to discover so much by extremely simple methods shows how much traditional media is not doing its job when it comes to investigation – at least, investigation of the political left.)

Dana will be a great addition if CNN really wants to try to be the non-partisan network.

• Adam

Looks like Loesch is off to a great start at CNN:http://mediamatters.org/research/201102180001 and http://mediamatters.org/blog/201102180007 . Non-stop misinformation!

• Student

Media Matters is itself a source of misinformation. They seem to try to keep direct lies to a minimum, but they are masters of taking quotes out of context and writing articles intended to give readers a false impression. They are not a media watchdog, they are smear makers.

Just look at your own link, for example. Jim Hoft writes an article in which he says that Logan, because of her worldview, underestimated the risks of reporting from Tahrir Square. Media Matters see this article and reports that Hoft blamed Logan for being assaulted. He did no such thing. You can see there is some tenuous connection between the MM report and what actually happened, but that is all. And this is how MM operates – they take a tiny grain of truth and distort it into something much more sinister in order to smear the original speaker.

• Andy

What?? Media matters turned off Fox to Watch CNN, how dare they!

• David Ross

Adam, I’m thinking you might need to sue WU for your education expenses. Seems with all that “knowledge” couped up in that noggin of yours you could and should do better than using Media Matters as a source. Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology LOL!

• harrys

Say isn’t mediamatters George Soros’s baby…he does bankroll it.