Despite kinks, Seigle Hall stuns students

What was a gaping hole on the edge of Mudd Field last year is now Harry and Susan Seigle Hall, a building containing classrooms as well as offices for the law school and the political science and economics departments.

Both students and faculty have been struck by the building’s aesthetics, which include glass panels, a large walkway leading up to the building and classic campus pink granite architecture.

And although students reported several drawbacks, including an air conditioning system that has yet to function, the building’s occupants have so far enjoyed their experience there.

“It’s very well designed, very nice and clean. I think it’s really pretty,” Harry Hartfield, a sophomore taking a history class in Seigle Hall, said.

His professor, Peter Kastor, agreed.

“Externally, I think it’s an attractive building that fits in architecturally with the rest of the University,” Kastor, who teaches two classes in the building, said.

In addition, Kastor found the rooms conducive to teaching and well-equipped with teaching tools. He also appreciated the familiarity of the technology.

“I love that they did not do anything different. I walked into this room, and I thought, ‘I know how to work this room,’” Kastor said.

Other professors were similarly appreciative.

“This is just a tremendous building from a practical standpoint and an aesthetic standpoint,” Mark Vaughan, lecturer in the Department of Economics, said.

Seigle Hall, like the Danforth University Center, is built to be environmentally friendly; Seigle Hall aims for silver LEED certification. It was designed to minimize water usage both in the building itself and for irrigation use outside, project manager Frank Freeman said.

The reduction in water use has been achieved by using trees native to the area that require less watering while creating shade. According to students, the foliage adds to the building’s beauty.

“The classroom I’m in is just so pretty,” freshman Limor Zisbrod said. “When you’re looking out the window you’re like, ‘Wow, that’s so gorgeous.’”

While students may feel guilty peering out of the rooms in Seigle Hall during class time, those involved in the site’s design meant for each classroom’s windows to attract students’ gazes.

“A great effort was put toward having the classrooms with the exposure to the east so students have a great view,” Freeman said.

Freeman intended for the natural light flowing through the building as a result of those windows to create a positive interior environment, one that has been noted by Seigle Hall’s occupants.

“I love that building because it’s very well laid out, very airy,” Tanya Roth, a history teaching assistant, said. “[It] is certainly better than other places on campus that are a little older.”

Roth added, however, that the building’s floor plan has presented a challenge to her. Others have voiced similar concerns.

“The layout of the classrooms in Seigle Hall is somewhat like a maze and is confusing to people who are visiting for the first time,” freshman Ben Furtick said.

And while many students appreciate the building’s overall effect, they have also encountered some of its disadvantages.

“The doors are really heavy—they’re impossible to open,” Hillary Voth, a senior, said. “The seating could be better, [and] there aren’t any aisles.”

“As with anything new, there’s a few bugs to iron out,” Freeman added. “Not any complaints that I would consider something that I’d be concerned about.”

The lack of a circulation system has also challenged students, but Freeman is sure that the problem will soon be fixed.

Even so, students have been able to appreciate the building’s overall feel, no matter the temperature.

“There’s no air conditioning, but it’s really beautiful,” freshman Eric Yen said.