SU and block funding endorsements

Habitat for Humanity (YES):

Habitat for Humanity is seeking $14,750 over two years. We believe that Habitat for Humanity should be approved for its block funding appeal. Habitat for Humanity has clearly detailed its plans to utilize the budget, which we believe will greatly aid and is necessary for this very important group.

The groups has laid out a series of events which will be beneficial not only to the student body, but to the greater St. Louis community as well. Habitat for Humanity is a great organization and fully worthy of its block funding appeal.

KWUR (YES):

KWUR is looking for $62,066.66 for one year in order to support KWUR Week and replace outdated equipment. This is a very substantial sum but we believe that KWUR should be approved for its block funding appeal. Though some have expressed skepticism over the amount requested for the group’s event, KWUR Week, it’s well attended, and we support its fundng.

We also believe that KWUR is very badly in need of new equipment (which has been around for decades), and with 150 students DJs who stand to benefit, we vote yes on this appeal.

S.A.R.A.H. (YES):

S.A.R.A.H. is asking for $13,280 over two years. We believe that S.A.R.A.H. does a great job on campus and provides a very necessary function. The funding request is in line with previous years and the work that S.A.R.A.H. engages in makes it the ideal type of student group to receive block funding. Vote yes.

Student Sustainability Fund (NO):

The Student Sustainability Fund (SSF) is appealing for $30,000 over two years. We believe that SSF should not receive block funding for several reasons. The group’s job is to promote students’ awareness of their environmental impacts through individual projects with other student groups. We believe that those projects could be accomplished through the normal appeal process to Student Union or through the Office of Sustainability.

Currently, the SSF works to fund sustainable projects on campus and was moved from SU to the Office of Sustainability. However, there is no accountability for how SSF utilizes these funds. Furthermore, there is already an (elected) funding body on campus and the SSF only bypasses the normal Treasury appeals process.

Sustainability is an important initiative for our university. However, giving the SSF a chunk of money without knowing what exactly it will be used for is not the only way to be sustainable.

SU Executive (U)nity slate

Elections for the executive board of Student Union are this week, and as (U)nity slate is running unopposed. Student Life met with the members of (U)nity—Julian Nicks for president, Matthew Re for vice president of administration, Ammar Karimjee for vice president of finance, Bailey Breems for vice president of programming, and Taylor Docking for vice president of public relations.

The best part of the (U)nity slate is the enthusiasm of its members. They are genuinely excited and eager to take office. We especially liked their idea to put videos of student groups appealing for funds in all-campus emails.

They also have other good ideas, such as a Wash. U. DAYGLOW at The Pageant, improving efficiency in event planning, and coordinating with Saint Louis University to have inter-university events. But while these events and projects seem exciting, details are lacking and even the candidates themselves admitted that they weren’t sure if these ideas could come to fruition or not. It is a little disappointing that (U)nity seemed to have few of the large-scale initiatives that previous administrations have taken on. We had hoped to see more clearly outlined campus-focused initiatives, and we hope they will come soon after the group gets elected and has a chance to talk to the student body.

Student Life believes that there is potential to this slate. It wants to make its mark upon Wash. U., and to improve campus life, but in the coming months, the group will need to form a better idea as to how. We hope that they can do good things next year.