Rom-coms to warm your heart this winter break

Jaden Satenstein | Staff Writer

Do you just want to spend four weeks cuddling up with a fuzzy blanket and some romantic comedies that will make you feel all the feels? You’re not alone, and winter break is the perfect time for that. Here’s a few options to get you started.

If love, actually, is all around this holiday season: “Love, Actually” (2003)

Do you feel it in your fingers? Do you feel it in your toes? The creme de la creme of Christmas rom-coms, “Love, Actually” follows nine interconnected storylines, including a young boy with crush on his classmate, a woman struggling to balance her love life and familial obligations and a wife navigating her broken marriage. You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. You’ll swoon. You’ll never get “All I Want for Christmas Is You” out of your head.

If you’re super lonely but the holidays still give you hope: “Bridget Jones’ Diary” (2001)

“Love, Actually” alums Hugh Grant and Colin Firth star alongside Renee Zellweger in this hilarious, charmingly relatable British rom-com. Featuring ugly holiday sweaters and the title character belting out Celine Dion’s “All by Myself” while sipping wine and hysterically crying, this film will satisfy all your emotional needs. Also, the classic line, “I like you very much, just as you are,” could make anyone fall in love.

If going home and seeing your high school friends makes you wish you had experienced some epic teenage romance: “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” (2018)

When hopeless romantic Lara Jean’s (Lana Condor) secret love letters are mysteriously sent to all her current and former crushes, including her sister’s ex-boyfriend, Josh (Israel Broussard), the high school junior engages in a fake relationship with former crush Peter (Noah Centineo) in order to convince Josh that she no longer has feelings for him. Part of Netflix’s “Summer of Love,” “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” is witty, compelling and, with an Asian-American leading lady, a step towards increased representation in the genre.

If you’re in desperate need of a break from summer job or internship applications but you still want to feel like you’re doing something work-related: “Set It Up” (2018)

In another recent Netflix rom-com, two assistants (Zoey Deutch and Glen Powell) team up to set up their tyrant bosses (Lucy Liu and Taye Diggs) to get them off their backs. However, the duo runs into trouble when they start to question the morality of their actions as well as the status of their own relationship. Deutch’s and Powell’s characters are charmingly likeable, while Liu and Diggs play delightfully dislikable bosses that are hilariously entertaining to watch, but by whom no one would ever want to be employed.

If you’re in need of an island escape: “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” (2008)

This film caters to both die-hard rom-com fans and those who find the genre revolting. In addition to writing and co-producing the film, Jason Segel stars as television score composer Peter, who travels to Hawaii for a much needed vacation after a bad breakup. In addition to general hilarity and an amazing cast (Mila Kunis, Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd and Kristen Bell, to name a few), the film includes some awesome original songs, such as the vulgar yet strangely beautiful “Inside of You,” performed by Russell Brand (yet another stand-out cast member), and selections from Peter’s comedic Dracula musical.

If you’ve spent so much time staring at your computer that you’ve begun to long for an internet romance: “Love, Simon” (2018)

When extremely likeable, closeted teen Simon’s anonymous online conversations with another boy are discovered by a schoolmate, he must try to prevent himself from being outed. The film gives an intimate look into Simon’s experience of coming to terms with his sexuality, a topic that is scarcely explored in blockbuster films, especially considering that heterosexual romances dominate the rom-com genre. “Love, Simon” is touching, funny, and an instant teen rom-com classic.

If you want to spend break binge-watching new On Demand releases that haven’t yet made it to Netflix: “Crazy Rich Asians” (2018)

The highest grossing rom-com in the last 10 years, “Crazy Rich Asians” has received a ton of attention since its release in August. And that’s because it’s just so good. The film is not only funny, emotionally compelling and beautifully shot, but it also discusses hard topics regarding the clashes and nuances of culture. The all-Asian cast not only provides much needed representation in the genre but is also incredibly strong with great chemistry apparent in each relationship in the film, whether romantic or otherwise. Also, you’ll spend the next month solely listening to the killer soundtrack.