A Beginner’s Guide to St. Louis Radio

| Senior Cadenza Editor

The majority of Washington University students come from outside the St. Louis area. Moving to a new place can be pretty exciting, but it can also be fairly daunting. You have to find new restaurants to frequent, but Yelp helps you there. You need to find new place to visit, but a Google search can generally highlight the best destinations for both tourists and locals. One thing the Internet can’t really help you with? Good radio stations. Finding a favorite radio station in a city where you didn’t learn to drive is a stupidly hard task, so hopefully Cadenza’s “Beginner’s Guide to St. Louis Radio” will help you accomplish this. Here are some notable stations to start with.

Fresh (KEZK 102.5 FM) – Fresh 102.5 boasts a soft-rock playlist for those looking for only a little bit of edge. Yesterday, the station played Bruno Mars immediately following Rod Stewart, so there’s really a little bit for everyone.

Gen X (WSGX 100.3 FM) – Gen X is our local ’90s station, but it also plays more modern music. As a senior, I feel like I’m just old enough to understand all the music they play, but younger generations might prove me wrong. Anyway, if you’re looking for grunge or hair metal to be mixed in with today’s American Top 40, this is the place for you.

Oldies (KLOU 103.3 FM) – If you can’t already tell, 103.3 is St. Louis’ oldies station, playing hit songs from primarily the 1960s and 1970s. The station’s current top-20 playlist includes James Brown, Creedence Clearwater Revival, ABBA, Stevie Wonder and Elton John. If nostalgia’s your thing, check out this station.

St. Louis Public Radio (KWMU 90.7 FM) – For those less interested in music, St. Louis’ local NPR station is a logical choice. All perspectives get to shine on this talk radio channel, and if you don’t hear enough opinions in your philosophy classes, maybe St. Louis Public Radio can help you out.

The Bull (KSD 93.7 FM) – The Bull is St. Louis’ premiere country music radio station. If twang is your thang, listen here.

Y98 (KYKY 98.1 FM) – This adult contemporary channel plays Top 40 songs, but it does not do so exclusively. It’s fairly mellow, thus making it a good choice for in-the-car listening, early in the morning or late at night.

Z107-7 (KSLZ 107.7 FM) – Z107-7 is St. Louis’ Top 40 radio station. It features Ryan Seacrest’s American Top 40 countdown, syndicated from more major markets, as well as more local shows that play a lot of the same songs. There’s never anything revolutionary playing, but it’s a pretty good station if you’re looking for some pump-up music.

• KWUR Fan

Perhaps a follow up article on KWUR and KDHX would be a welcome addition to the article above. It could even direct our student body to the KWUR website where they can listen live to the station as well as find out a lot about what the station offers and when. In addition to that there are links to Vintage Vinyl and Student Life, two things KWUR wholeheartedly supports.
    Very few colleges even have their own radio stations. Those that do are lucky.
    Let’s make sure we appreciate ALL that WashU offers us. A shout out to KWUR and KDHX is in order. KWUR is applying for block funding on March 6th and 7th. Cast a vote for KWUR and keep our school’s station alive!

• Rooooooooooooo

What about KDHX or KWUR? Also, 1430AM is the shit. Also, 103.3. is like a freaking Christmas station around late fall and winter…it just gets obnoxious.

• Robert

This is thoroughly under-researched. 4 Clear Channel owned stations and no KDHX or KWUR? Not to mention not a single AM station–KZQZ demands a mention at least for being KRAZY.

• Taryn

KWUR 90.3 FM doesn’t make the list for offering a top notch selection of underplayed alternative? It is Wash U’s own radio created and run by hundreds of students!
    Thats like saying “Your Guide to St. Louis Carnivals” and not including Thurtene. Come on StudLife.

• Anony-moose

and you can’t even get KWUR on campus, come on now. I’ve driven around all campus roads in my car and only get it in the women’s building.

• Anonymous

Seriously? Where’s KDHX? Where’s KWUR? KZQZ?

I really don’t understand this list…

• LeRadio

No 88.1? No 105.7? Fail.

• radiolisteningperson

KWMU – that lovely station making sure you can’t actually LISTEN to KWUR on the airwaves once you leave campus.

• Anonymous

Hot 104.1 for hip-hop/R&B music?! Come on now…

• Andrew

Why does this list not include KDHX (88.1) a fantastic local station or KWUR (90.3) WashU’s own radio station?

• Joe Lampone

Pretty shameful that you left of KDHX (88.1) as it is without a doubt the station most ingrained in the local St. Louis music scene. It also has the added benefit of being an independent (i.e. community supported) radiostation, meaning no unbearable radio ads.

Also no KWUR, seriously? For a “St. Louis” guide, you managed to miss the the uniquely St. Louisian stations.

• Papaya King

How did you not list KWUR? Embarrassing.