Reflections and advice for Bear Beginnings 

| Managing News Editor

Sophie Leong | Student Life

Two years later, I still remember my first day at WashU: the humidity and harsh sunlight, the sound of cars honking on Shepley Drive mixed with the chatter of groups of friends on their way to tour each other’s dorm rooms, and the feeling of being completely overwhelmed. Bear Beginnings was simultaneously intense and relaxing. Most days were a fluctuation between chilling in my dorm and turning my social skills up to 11 so that I came across as approachable (but not a loser), fun (but in a cool way), and smart (but not nerdy). People say first impressions are everything — that is the biggest mistake I made during my Bear Beginnings experience in 2021.

After spending 10 days going from WUSA group meetings to Olin information sessions and other events planned by the school, the whole class gathered in Brookings Quad for Convocation. Sitting in the tiny plastic folding chair meant the world. I was actually here. This was not a dream. My college journey was beginning. We received our coins and listened to a few speakers. The event flew by, at least for me. Afterward, I followed the herd of students into Tisch Park, where there was live music and snacks for us to enjoy. I got to the park at 8:30 p.m. and left at 9:00. I felt like going to bed was the wrong thing to do and that I should be having fun enjoying the music and the vibes… but I couldn’t do it.

My social battery was spent. I could not bring myself to meet someone new and explain that I do not live in DC but 30 minutes south of the city in Virginia or that I spent my summer working at a sleep-away camp. I just wanted to get to classes and the start of college.

So I called my friend Izzy, who is a year older than me. Her advice remains true: “Avi, you do not have to meet your best friend during orientation, and it is okay if you did not meet your future spouse in the next 10 days.”

During the orientation process, I felt compelled to meet people out of necessity, not out of want. The social desire to feel included and part of a group is deafening during this time, but you are the one in control of your life. If you want to go to bed early, do it. If the result is that people think of you as a nerd, so what? Trust me, everyone is as much in their own heads as you are in yours.

When classes start, the social dynamic almost entirely changes. All of a sudden, the upperclassmen are on campus going about their business, being sure of themselves. The first impressions that initially felt so important are dwarfed by the blur of classes, clubs, and the larger WashU social scene.

The key to a successful orientation is to remember that it is your experience. Yes, you will have to attend mandatory events, floor meetings, WUSA things, and they may be boring. But during the in-between time — the downtime — do what you want to do. Go for a walk in Forest Park, listen to a podcast, find a tree to sit under, and read a book. If you want to meet people, do that too. Spend time touring other people’s dorms and making those first impressions (they can be significant, but they shouldn’t feel all-consuming).

You may feel compelled to connect with people, go out, or secure an invitation to a dorm party, but remember that no matter what, you will meet people. Only a few people are going to find their best friends before classes start. Bear Beginnings is the start of your college journey, and as a WashU student, you are curious by nature, hardworking, and passionate about something.

Rely on those skills in the classroom, but also during social interactions. Seek out the clubs and people that sound cool. So what if no one else wants to sign up? You are a student here for a reason, I promise. The admissions office does not make mistakes. Own all of your characteristics and relish the experiences that are to come.

Bear Beginnings may feel like forever, but the nine days will fly by, and before you know it, school will start and, with it, your college journey. So, no matter how you approach it, find a way to enjoy orientation and make it your own. There is much to discover at WashU, and your journey here is only beginning.

Sophie Leong | Student Life