Men’s spring trends

| Senior Fashion Columnist

Most men I know don’t like to think about fashion, and they just buy whatever pleases them. As the weather changes, most of you will want to (or need to) replace the heavy boots, layers and thick sweatshirts with light cotton pants and shirts and sneakers. But you’ve got to do it right. This is your simplified guide—organized from most to least audacious—to looking sharp and impressing your friends this season.

Mixed prints
Some would consider this daring trend a faux pas. Mixing prints can be done in a non-comical way, however. GANT by Michael Bastian showed that certain patterns, such as plaids and stripes, can in fact work together. One hint for successfully pulling off this look is to keep one print bold and the other light.

Get shorty
This season, if designers have their way, men’s shorts will be short. Really short. GANT Rugger showcased not only short shorts, but also cropped pants for men. While these trends aren’t novel, they were very prevalent, especially on international runways. When it comes to wearing this trend, socks can range from mid-calf to barely there. I would recommend no socks for those who wish to don this trend.

Color statement
Bored with wearing blacks, grays and browns? Great, because this spring is all about bold, vivid colors. Ports 1961, among other labels, placed a big emphasis on white, especially in trouser form. Mango orange, cerulean blues and navy were common colors paired with white. The color blocking trend found on women’s runways has made its way to men’s runways and soon to plenty of stores. The goal isn’t to look like a box of Crayola crayons, but to wear multiple complimentary colors simultaneously. They need not all be vibrant; instead, pair neutral colors with a bold color this spring to update your look.

Sporty
Even if you’re not in the best shape of your life, this trend is one that just about everyone can pull off. Band of Outsiders and other brands featured athletic-inspired varsity jackets, mesh and drawstrings and lots of horizontal stripes on their spring runways. Be cautious when taking on this trend to avoid appearing like an extra for “The Royal Tenenbaums.” Instead of piling on every athletic thing in your closet, take a less literal approach to the trend and wear a charcoal gray jacket made of nylon or a hoodie in a bright color with an otherwise normal outfit.

The Southern gentleman
This trend may not appeal to everyone, however it is a nice one to take advantage of since ladies will perhaps find you more charming. The key pieces you’ll need to look like the ultimate Southern gentleman are seersucker and Sperry Top-Siders. There’s no need to rush and purchase a full seersucker suit. Rather, buy a piece, like a blazer, and incorporate it into your wardrobe.

Throw a blazer on it
Heading to class, a date in Forest Park or an art museum? Throw on a blazer. GANT Rugger placed blazers on a wide variety of outfits, from shorts to jeans to linen pants. They not only make you appear more put together, but they also keep you from looking boring and uninteresting.

The shoe game
If you don’t try anything new this season, be sure to upgrade your footwear to keep in line with the latest trends. Suede desert boots, bright sneakers and walnut-brown oxfords (with colorful laces for the avant-garde dresser) are three very popular footwear options that work for a variety of tastes and styles.