A guide to the Fall 2023 Student Union Election

, , and

Voting for the Student Union (SU) Fall 2023 Election will begin at 9:00PM on Tuesday, Nov. 14 and will close at 9:00PM on Nov. 16. 

There are positions open in Treasury, Senate, and the Arts & Sciences Council. There are 15 candidates running for 12 seats in the Senate and 21 candidates running for 12 seats in Treasury. 

There are two candidates running for each of the following: Arts & Sciences Council President, Vice President of Programming, and Vice President for Academic Outreach. There is one candidate, running unopposed, for each of the following: Vice President of Administration, Vice President of Finance, and Vice President of Public Relations.

Leading up to the election, Student Life reached out to the 46 candidates about issues faced today by Student Union, including the role Treasury and Senate play on campus and how candidates intend to support their constituents if elected.

Below are the candidates’ responses to the survey questions, some of which have been edited for length and clarity but retain their original intended message.

Treasury Representative

Candidate: Meris Damjanovic – Class of 2026

Why are you running to be in the Treasury?

I am running for Treasury to continue to be an advocate for student groups, build connections with them, and help them put on exciting programming for the student body.

What unique perspectives would you bring to Student Union?

My approach to Student Union involves collecting as much feedback as possible from student groups. I created and shared an SU Treasury Feedback form when I was Communications Chair as well as a feedback form for the Activities Fair. I want to know what the student body thinks about the things we are doing and how things can be done better for the future! I think it is important for us to be as connected as possible with the student body in this way to address any communication errors or things of that nature. 

Are you currently serving, or have you previously served, on Student Union?

Yes

What is/was your position? What have you specifically accomplished?

I have served as Communications Chair and Activities Committee Chair. As Communications Chair I initiated the sharing of weekly agendas to our social media for transparency and raised our social media presence. As Activities Committee Chair I put on the largest ever Activities Fair, initiated the overhaul of SU Long-Term Storage, and re-structured the Activities Committee to be as efficient and effective as possible. 

What do you believe Treasury’s role is in supporting both student groups and SU’s constituents?

While not everyone of our constituents is in a student group, each member of this campus’ student groups are also our constituents. When supporting student groups, we are directly supporting our constituents and groups through funding things like competitions, other mission critical events, and socials. As we support the two we are making it more enticing for constituents that are currently not in any groups to join student groups and get involved on campus! 

Candidate: Samuel Sweat – Class of 2026

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

Student groups are what make campus feel like home, but in order to operate well, they need proper funding. This is the job of SU’s treasury, and nothing would please me more than to be a part of an organization that helps our student groups to thrive in such a manner. I want to make sure that every student group has an equal opportunity to share in SU funding and that benefits are shared across the board.

In my experience with student clubs, the groups that are the most fun are often those that are smaller in size yet impactful with their activities. Close bonds and friendships can be made in clubs that are just getting off the ground. Equally important are the larger student-run events on campus such as WILD. These are marked on calendars months in advance and provide a source of excitement for the whole student body. I believe that both the much smaller student clubs as well as larger student events should be receiving more attention from SU, and as Treasurer I will work to do so. 

No 

All who wish to have a slice of the pie should have the opportunity to do so, and it is SU’s obligation to those receiving funding that honesty and transparency of information is honored. Student groups experience regular frustration with denial of funding due to unknown reasons, and SU should work to be more forthright in their communications about how decisions are made.

Candidate: Deven Rozario – Class of 2026

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

I want to help budget clubs at WashU to encourage students to participate in activities to maintain a socially vibrant environment. Handling a large budget is interesting, significantly impacts student life, immerses St. Louis’ culture among students, and creates a place of collaboration. 

I take an unbiased approach to understanding student groups and what they need funds for. I have been involved in many industries and can evaluate and understand the costs of items in certain areas and decide whether the amount requested is equitable. I come from the largest high school in the country and have met people from all backgrounds. I have understood them, which will significantly improve relationships between student groups and the treasury. 

Yes 

I am a treasury representative currently, and I have been able to convey logic and reasoning to help the entire body better understand where student groups are coming from and help groups understand fiscal policies. In one harsh situation, the body was confused about whether a social event with dangerous activities was allowed if the use of hazardous weapons wasn’t explicit. My thought process regarding this was that renting out a lane for target practice implied the use of firearms. It is included in the cost of renting out the road in the same regard as bowling pins, balls, and shoes are included if one were to rent out a bowling lane at a bowling alley. That analogy helped the entire body process the information, reducing confusion and allowing for proper budget allocation. 

Treasury ought to make the best and most well-thought-out decisions to represent the general beliefs of the entire student body.

Candidate: Hieran Andeberhan – Class of 2025

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

I am running for Treasury because I believe in providing students with the financial resources they need to organize successful student events that are mission-driven and impactful. I believe that by serving on Treasury, I can support all student groups by advocating for fair funding practices that meet their needs. 

As a woman of color, I bring my unique intersectional perspectives of being a woman, person of color, and immigrant to Student Union. Additionally, as a local St.Louis student, I can help student groups increase their engagement with the local community. My background in the humanities also provides me the knowledge to eliminate systemic barriers and ensure equitable funding for all groups. 

Yes 

I am a Treasurer. Last semester, as a member of the Budget Committee, I led the Budget Allocation Team meetings for 29 cultural student groups. During the spring semester of 2023, I dedicated nearly 50 hours to meeting with these cultural groups to review their budgets for the 2023-2024 school year.  I also worked with my fellow Treasurers to approve all student groups’ budgets and finalize their funding for the upcoming school year as a part of this committee. 

I believe that Treasury’s role in supporting both student groups and SU’s constituents is to provide student groups the funding they need to create events and organizations that address their constituents’ needs. Additionally, by educating student groups on the various financial resources that are available to them through SU, Treasury can empower constituents to take advantage of them by making them more easily accessible to students. 

Candidate: Andy Mun – Class of 2025

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

I am running to be a treasury representative because I enjoy broadening my perspective to all the unique interests that WashU’s student body has to offer. All of the hard work and planning is done by the student groups, but I think it is very cool to be part of the body that helps all this planning take place. As a treasurer, I can also offer some insight for student groups that might not understand things when submitting appeals, such as what information Treasury needs to see to help make decisions. But the best thing about Treasury is watching the impressive efforts of my peers in bringing life to campus.

As an Asian American from a college town from Alabama, I believe there may be one other student that shares a similar upbringing to mine. I was introduced to a variety of ideologies from various institutions which have helped shape my own ideas and gave me the ability to make judgements of those ideas. One perspective I have gained from serving in treasury this past term was that treasury has seen hundreds of appeals and knows how to think about each of them whereas student groups appeal maybe once or twice a semester and do not know the inner workings as well. I think it is important for treasury to be approachable to student groups outside of treasury meetings as well so that students can be ready before them.

Yes 

I was a treasury representative for the Spring 2022 – Fall 2023 term. A big role I played in treasury particularly during the budget cycle was meeting every category 1 student group and representing them in 40+ hours of budget committee meetings to advocate for them in the upcoming year’s budget. Unofficially, I like to meet with peers who reach out to me and assist them with some of the inner workings of treasury and what the group likes to see to make an informed judgement! (contact me if this is you!)

Treasury is essentially trusted with the student activities fee of all ~9000 WashU undergraduates. Although Treasury manages lots of money, it is not infinite so it is critical to fund equitably for the best interest of the student body. There is likely a large overlap between student groups and SU constituents, but treasury should doing their best to listen to and support every student’s voice.

Candidate: Nate Wilson – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

In almost every organization I have ever been a part of, I have seen misallocation of resources that is easily solvable. I want to be able to enact this change through the treasury at WashU and better and more equitably fund programs.

I personally really enjoy having one on one conversations with people so I will sit down and talk with representatives from any organization outside of the weekly treasury meeting to better understand where they are coming from so I can advocate for them.

No

If it is an honest miscalculation I would take note of it and simply ask them to return their excess funding back. If it is intentional, I will leave them to use that funding to last the remainder of my term. I will also take note of it to cut their funding in the future. 

Candidate: Ben Nikpour – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

I am running for the Treasury as I am very interested in fostering financial stability at our University. I believe that I can bring a new perspective to the Treasury that will allow me to provide my expertise to ensure our community prospers. I recognize the vital role that the Treasury plays in shaping different organizations at WashU, so I am willing to approach this position with the care and respect it deserves. I know I can effectively work with my peers and listen to the needs of our constituents to transform our campus for the better.

Upon joining the Treasury in Student Union, I will bring a new and unique perspective. As a student actively engaged in many different organizations on campus, I have been exposed to many different people with different interests and opinions. This contributes to my multifaceted perspective, allowing me to understand how to best represent my peers’ interests through my position in the Treasury. Additionally, my background contributes to my unique perspective, enabling me to use my knowledge to approach difficult and complex situations to find effective solutions.

No

I believe that the Treasury is entrusted with supporting both the needs of student groups and Student Union constituents. As Treasury members, we are tasked with the equitable allocation of resources on campus. I understand the critical role Treasury plays in the success of organizations on campus. Our role is governed by our commitment to providing funding to a diverse set of initiatives that leave a positive impact on our WashU community. Furthermore, we are commissioned to listen to and address the needs of Student Union constituents. My approach for this position will be to respect and confront all concerns handed to us on the Treasury.

Candidate: Varun Vadhera – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

I am running in order to improve the WashU experience for everyone no matter their background or history. By serving on the SU Treasury I hope to allocate funding towards programs that students want (such as WILD and other social events). I also hope to improve the SU relationship with students by creating feedback forms for students to fill out if they have opinions they would like to share based on recent decisions. I would make sure an in-depth discussion among SU takes place for each of these feedback forms 

I believe I have a wide range of interests involving medicine, business, and engineering. Having participated in many of these activities in the past, I understand the issues that each group faces. I hope to use my knowledge and past experiences to help members of ALL groups be the best that they can be. 

No

I believe SU is meant to support both equally in order to create the best academic and social environment possible. Treasury can support student groups by listening to their needs and providing what they need, if more funding is needed, SU should work one on one with those groups in order to create a plan for them to get funding. SU can also support their constituents by serving as advocates and actually acting as a UNION rather than a governing body.

Candidate: Cole Nelson – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

I would like to become more actively involved in my community. Being a Freshman from Vermont, I came to this college not knowing much. I think that a position in student government would help me learn more and give back and I think Treasury fits into my skill set.

I have experience making important decisions in a leadership position. I was on the Admissions Committee in my high school in which I read applications from students and voted on whether they were accepted to the school alongside faculty and other students. This is very similar to the type of critical thinking and judgement that is required in the SU Treasury.

That experience has made me well-read and prepared for covering large amounts of material with a group while coming to concise and informed decisions about issues.

No

The Student Union budget comes from the activities fee that every student needs to pay with their tuition. What that means is that the Treasury representatives are ethically required to listen to the comments, suggestions, and concerns of the student body. Rather than making decisions based on personal bias, the Treasury reps should be tapped into the thoughts and feelings of their constituents, and then use their reason and judgement to settle on appropriate funding decisions. 

Candidate: Jack Applebaum – Class of 2026

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

I am running for an executive treasury position in an effort to promote religious and cultural diversity on the board with regards to funding allocation for religious and cultural groups and clubs. In my experience as the Chabad treasurer, I found many positives to the SU treasury system. One flaw that I noticed however, was that the board lacked sufficient religious diversity. At times, this posed an issue for religious groups such as Chabad, as the treasury board had difficulty grasping the concept of the need for funding for certain religious events and festivals. As a member of several on-campus religious and sociocultural groups, I plan on helping to build a treasury board that is more familiar with the necessities of all religious and cultural groups.

I will bring my knowledge and experience from being a part of several religious and sociocultural groups. With this, I will ensure that diverse groups get a fair judgement when requesting funding for their individual events and necessities.

Yes

Chabad (Category 1)-Treasurer (Elected by peers for 3 semester terms). (First to be re-elected for 3 terms in organization’s history).

Granted (Unspecified) tens of thousands of dollars for events and appeals.

I believe that the SU Treasury’s role is a complicated and often misunderstood one. The ultimate goal of SU treasury is to provide the financial tools required for proportional growth within each student group. SU Treasury serves as a financial referee in the sense that they need to determine which funding allocations will foster the greatest return on investment in terms of club/ group growth. My goal as treasurer is to give the board a better understanding of cultural and spiritual events across the board.

Candidate: Sahithi Pogula – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

WashU is defined by its variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and visions. All of these ideals come out in the form of the clubs and organizations on our campus. As a part of the treasury, I hope to support and fund these organizations to bring out the WashU culture. 

The job of a treasurer is primarily accountability and responsibility, whilst also being understanding. As treasurer for the PUDD college council, I had the pleasure of handling those responsibilities this year. Previously, I served as President of Massachusetts Business Professionals of America and undertook the same responsibilities at a large scale. These experiences are what I hope to bring to SU. 

No

It is the Treasury’s role by definition to allocate monetary funding for the student groups of WashU. Despite this, the role expands greatly beyond just that. It is important to remember that the culture that propagates WashU is built at its base by these student groups. It is the Treasury’s role to be responsible for the monetary funds available, but also mindful of its direct connection the culture of WashU. 

Candidate: Ha-Young Cho – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

Working in the Treasury is more than allocating funds and writing expenditure reports. I want to learn about WashU student groups and their needs while foraging connections and relationships. My goal with the Treasury is to ensure that all student groups are treated equally so finances do not hinder a group’s goals. 

Having experience with leading student groups and clubs, I understand the frustrations that budgeting and finances bear. Thus, as a Treasury representative, I aim to ensure that groups feel free of this frustration by improving communication to make sure that their needs are met (check-ins, surveys, emails) and equitable funding so all students can pursue their passions without boundaries. I seek to be the bridge between student groups and SU so that all group’s needs are heard and met, that groups feel more comfortable in their activities, and that the funding process will be simplified and more approachable.

I have had the experience of holding various leadership positions (e.g., president, vice-president, newspaper editor, media team head, lead video editor) in multiple groups and opportunities. Thus, having experience on the opposite side of the Treasury, I understand the immense struggle that finances can bear to one’s group’s initiatives and would use my term of office to represent those student groups efficiently. Additionally, like many other WashU students, I am a lifelong learner and constantly seek new opportunities to learn and grow. I want to understand and empathize with each student group on a more personal level and thus want to allocate time to join their meetings/events and have chats with various group e-boards to understand their initiatives, goals, and struggles. 

No

The Treasury’s role is to ensure that they provide adequate funds to student groups and SU constituents so parties can properly function to achieve their goals and purposes. The Treasury should ensure that all groups are given equal financial opportunity to pursue their passions without being unfairly treated and improve existing inequalities. The Treasury should be flexible in its funding but simultaneously manage the current finances and resources effectively to protect the financial system and avoid groups and constituents misusing their funds. 

Essentially, the Treasury’s purpose in supporting student groups and SU’s constituents is to offer financial support so all WashU students have proper conditions for growth and improvement. Working in the Treasury, I aim to properly support the WashU student body with adequate funding so all groups can effectively serve their purpose without finances being an ultimate reason restricting their goals.

Candidate: Sydney Kim – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be in Treasury?

To engage with different student groups on campus and learn more about the student body’s interests! I want to support existing and new student initiatives, as well as increase access and awareness about the funding processes and opportunities available to student groups. 

Funding for existing traditions may garner more support from incumbent representatives, but newer ideas may be met with more skepticism. As a first-year running for Treasury Representative, I will be uniquely receptive to new, innovative ideas. I see running for Treasury Representative as an opportunity to initiate changes in campus culture – changes that I would like to see materialize in my next three years here. 

No

I believe that SU Treasury has a responsibility to support Student groups and their goals. By extension, SU Treasury is responsible for funding our campus culture. 

Candidate: Saish Satyal – Class of 2025

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Brian Aguilar – Class of 2027

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Emily Huang – Class of 2027

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Jared Garelick – Class of 2027

Did not submit answers

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Matthew Gomez – Class of 2026

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Grace Marcus – Class of 2026

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Max Collins – Class of 2026

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Shreya Mangalam – Class of 2025

Did not submit answers

Senator

Candidate: Beni Bisimwa – Class of 2026

Why are you running to be in the Senate?

To work with senators and student groups to make WashU a more inclusive and accessible community. Whether it’s through infrastructural improvements or expanding mental health services, there are steps WashU can take to improve the experience of all students. 

As a candidate for Student Union Senate, I bring a unique blend of adaptability, flexibility, and a commitment to inclusivity. I have consistently demonstrated my ability to adapt to different situations and challenges, thriving in diverse academic environments and actively participating in various student organizations. I am also a firm believer in the power of inclusivity, seeking out diverse perspectives and incorporating them into decision-making processes. I am confident that my adaptability, flexibility, commitment to inclusivity, work ethic, and passion for student advocacy will make me an invaluable asset to the Student Union Senate. I am eager to serve our student body and contribute to shaping a more inclusive and representative Student Union.

Yes

During my first appointed term as a Senator, I have focused on learning the inner workings of the Senate and the Student Union, understanding the bureaucratic processes that govern our organization. This period of learning has been instrumental in shaping my approach to achieving tangible goals and recognizing the importance of collaboration.

As a Senator, what are the top three priorities you plan to advocate for?

1. Disability Justice: Enhance accessibility(door handles, automatic door openers, etc) and mental health resources for all students.
  2. Appreciating Unsung Heroes: Recognize and value the contributions of individuals like EST, Uncle Joe’s workers, and others for all the work they do.
  3. Expanding Financial Literacy: Advocate for increased financial literacy programs to support students from all socioeconomic backgrounds.

Candidate: Mika Kipnis – Class of 2026

I am running for the Senate because, during my first year at WashU, I observed certain aspects that I felt needed improvement for the betterment of our community. My motivation to serve in the Senate is deeply rooted in my unwavering commitment to enhancing the quality of life for all 8,284 undergraduates at WashU. While no single person can address all concerns alone, I firmly believe that by amplifying the diverse voices and stories of WashU students, positive change is not only essential but truly becomes achievable. To facilitate a stronger connection between students and the administration, I plan to implement more town halls and establish pathways for meaningful interaction between students and administrators. A guiding principle I uphold in my life at WashU, in meeting fellow students and aspiring to continue holding my seat in the Senate, is that every student possesses a unique voice and story. A vote for me would be a vote for the assurance that student voices are not only heard but felt through the actions of change and diplomacy from the Student Union.

Frequently, I find myself navigating the intersection of science and arts, embodying a unique blend as a pre-med neuroscience major with a minor in English literature. Beyond my academic pursuits, I am a ballet dancer who dabbles in lifting, cycling, and running. As an immigrant, the occasional lapse in my native language serves as a reminder of the delicate balance between preserving my roots and embracing the creation of a new home. These are just a few examples of the ways I often live life bridged between different worlds. While acknowledging that I cannot singularly represent the myriad student groups at WashU, I firmly believe that my engagement in various spheres has instilled in me a profound understanding of the value of diverse voices and stories in the Student Union. Bridging different worlds has taught me the importance of connection. Your vote for me signifies a commitment to ensuring that the Student Union genuinely reflects the rich tapestry of WashU. I pledge to do my utmost in incorporating the perspectives, voices, and opinions of numerous student groups, striving for an authentic representation of what WashU stands for and the diverse community it encompasses.

Yes

In my brief two months on the Student Union, I’ve immersed myself in understanding the disciplines and structure inherent to the organization, gaining insights into the operations of the Senate. This short but intensive experience has equipped me with valuable lessons that I believe will serve as a strong foundation for the coming year, pending election. As a new Senator, one of the most crucial lessons I’ve learned is the necessity of focusing ambition on a singular, central goal to effect meaningful change. While I knew that no individual could single-handedly address all the challenges within our community, the constraints of our role underscored the importance of directing efforts toward a specific, achievable objective. This insight has shaped my perspective on how to make a substantial impact within the Senate, and I am eager to apply this understanding in the coming term if granted the opportunity through the election.

In my role as Senator, my primary objective is to enhance opportunities for students to engage with the Student Union and administrators, with a particular focus on fostering a more open and connected community. My foremost initiative involves the implementation of additional town halls, recognizing that it is not enough for student voices to be merely heard; they should be tangibly felt through actions that bring about meaningful change. Advocating for students is the core principle of my campaign. Furthermore, I am committed to addressing specific challenges that students may face, especially in situations such as sexual assault cases. I believe that incorporating greater leniency in these circumstances is essential for fostering a supportive and empathetic environment. If entrusted with the opportunity to continue serving in the Senate, I intend to persist in my role within academic affairs. This will enable me to advocate for students’ health and well-being in relation to their academic experiences at WashU, furthering my dedication to making a positive impact on their lives.

Candidate: Fatima Elmenshawy – Class of 2027

What’s up WashU!

I’m Fatima Elmenshawy, and I’m excited to run for Student Union Senate! Fueled by a passion for positive change, I aim to amplify your voices. My SU goals? Better health, inclusivity, and making sure student opinion is represented while making important decisions.

Currently, Habif is closed on weekends, making access to medical resources tricky. Waiting till Monday? Not a fun time. I’m ready to team up with Habif’s administration, pushing for weekend hours and ensuring timely health support for everyone on campus.

I hope to make our campus one where every student thrives. Your concerns fuel my passion, and I’m committed to delivering an exceptional WashU experience.

Vote for me! I promise you won’t regret it!

Fatima Elmenshawy :)

As an Egyptian immigrant who arrived in the United States four years ago, I’ve always had a passion for student advocacy and amplifying our diverse voices. As a Senator, I hope to shed light on important events and issues that minority groups on campus are experiencing and raising their voices and complaints. 

In the past, I advocated for my Muslim community by attempting to pass a bill to recognize Eid as a holiday. Additionally, when students brought up Diwali, despite there being a large population of students who celebrate, they didn’t have the day off. I used my experience from my work with Eid, and I advocated and supported them at district board meetings by sharing their perspectives and interviewing other students to hear their voices. We were able to get both Eid and Diwali recognized as religious holidays!

As a Senator, I hope to advocate for students on campus from all different backgrounds by keeping them informed about our Student Union mission, and by also speaking with them and inviting them to share their diverse perspectives on important issues on campus.

Yes

I was an appointee this fall! I’ve been involved in the Health and Wellness committee and one of my goals is to invite student groups, like Uncle Joe’s, to share their concerns and how we can help make student life better. 

I’m running for Senate because of my passion to amplify student voices and to make our WashU experience the best it could be. My top priorities include:

1) Improve student health and wellness on campus by providing more access to Habif, specifically on the weekends.

2) Extending the add/drop deadline so students have the opportunity to explore more classes to find their passions. 

3) More community service events for the entire student body so that we can all come together and multiple student groups can collaborate together.

Candidate: Mahid Abdulkarim – Class of 2027

I’m running for the Senate to use my experience from Sudan to NYC to create a more inclusive college community, ensuring every student’s voice is heard and their educational and social needs are met.

I left home and my parents behind just three years ago, moving from Sudan to New York City, seeking a quality education. The journey over the years has deeply ingrained in me the value of educational opportunities and the importance of a supportive community.

No

Boosting academic support for students facing transitional challenges, enhancing communication between the Senate and student body, and prioritizing mental health resources to foster a healthier, more connected campus community.

Candidate: Salman Yonis – Class of 2026

My name is Salman Yonis and I’m a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences. I’m running for the Senate to serve as a point person between the undergraduate student body and the administration, with the aim of unapologetically voicing the interests and concerns of the student body to those with the power to make real change on our campus. 

I’ve failed at WashU (a lot). This is a topic many shy away from but as a student who was counted out completely and was able to turn things around, I am passionate about addressing the administrative systems that make it harder for struggling students to achieve success at WashU. Furthermore, as a first-generation low-income student, I understand how important access to the right resources can be. I wouldn’t be here at WashU without them. As a senator, I will strive to produce more multifaceted resources, while also working to make the ones that exist more accessible and effective.

No

1) Amending administrative systems that hinder student success

2) Making student resources more accessible and effective

3) Increasing student engagement in senate proceedings and initiatives

Sonal Churiwal – Class of 2026

Having served as a Senator since my first year at WashU, including as Senate Clerk and Diversity & Inclusion Committee Chair, has provided me with a meaningful avenue to advocate for and empower students. When reelected, I aim to continue my ongoing projects, including installing a 24/7 subsidized emergency contraceptive machine, organizing semesterly financial aid town halls, and making federal election days campus-wide holidays. I will expand my work to address remaining gaps in previous Student Union projects such as the Mental Health Fund, updating the eligibility on the website to reflect accounting for financial dependency, family situations, and socioeconomic status, and initiate conversations to expand the fund to serve survivors of relationship & sexual violence. I strive to better incorporate student voices into Senate’s work by reviving the project tracker that Senate previously had, an initiative I began within my committee this semester as Diversity & Inclusion Committee Chair, and embedding a way for students to provide feedback or ask questions about ongoing projects within the tracker. 

As a student involved in advocacy work through student groups outside SU, I have a thorough understanding of how SU can collaborate with these groups to elevate, rather than co-opt, their work. As a member of the Asian Multicultural Council, Title Mine, and South Asian Justice Collective, I have worked on projects relating to the University’s response to the overturning of affirmative action, instituting caste protections, and improving relationship and sexual violence response and prevention. My involvement with various student groups informs my work in Student Union, and vice versa, as I can bring back information about university bureaucracy, connections with administrators, or organizational knowledge to other students. 

Yes

Served as Senator on Health & Wellness and Diversity & Inclusion Committees and Senate Clerk Spring 2023 

Served as Diversity & Inclusion Committee Chair Fall 2023 

Accomplishments include: 

      - Retroactive withdrawals so students can withdraw from classes after the conclusion of the semester in the case of hardship (mental illness, relationship & sexual violence, etc.)

      - Modified Student Union statutes so students taking Medical Leave of Absence may run in SU positions. 

      - Provided updates on ongoing projects and answered questions at the Senate Town Hall 

      - Participated in the Condom Collective 

      - Promoted WashU Student Financial Services’ financial literacy program 

Ongoing projects include: 

      - 24/7 subsidized emergency contraceptive vending machine 

      - Make federal election days campus-wide holidays 

      - Organize semesterly townhalls with Student Financial Services to educate students on changes to WashU’s financial aid policy

Reproductive justice, financial accessibility, mental health & wellness.

Candidate: Sonali Sharma – Class of 2027

It is essential to have people from diverse backgrounds with varying experiences and involvements to represent the Student Body accurately. My experience will help lead the movement to decrease the divide between students and the Senate. Many of the Senate’s actions need to be documented better for the general public, and transparency will be an excellent way to bridge the gap. I understand that representing a diverse student body is challenging; however, that is my priority. By having open events and trying to get to know the student body, there will be changes in the perception of SU and an overall positive outcome for students. Additionally, the Senate could benefit from a more organized communication system that will affect all four committees and allow for streamlined efficiency in beneficial programming for students. My role will enable students to advocate for their needs and see results.

As a St. Louis local, I have a unique connection with the city, which will be beneficial, especially as we make decisions involving our local community. My background has aspects that relate to a portion of the student body, allowing me to help understand and represent our students. My previous leadership experience has made me comfortable with advocating for the students and has given me the skills needed to talk to the administration to make sure change is seen on this campus and is not simply heard and dismissed. I am here for every student and will always be someone to come to with thoughts regarding anything.

No

Creating a way to share information discussed by SU with the Student Body to allow for more transparency and make less of a divide. 

Having more open events so that students can informally communicate with Senators and see their input implemented. 

Increasing communication regarding events on campus in a more efficient manner, especially those centered around mental wellness.

Candidate: Saara Engineer – Class of 2027

I am running for the Senate because I am deeply committed to reproductive rights and Title IX. My advocacy journey has been marked by a continuous effort to raise awareness about sexual health. I have a proven track record, having successfully installed Plan B vending machines at the University of Iowa, and now, I aim to do the same at WashU, eliminating the need for students to pay for this basic necessity.

Currently serving as a Senator, my interactions with diverse student groups have highlighted the challenges students face, especially in accessing essential services during weekends. In the upcoming semester, my primary focus is to extend the hours of Habif to ensure accessibility, even on weekends. Additionally, I plan to collaborate with the RSVP Center to organize events that empower students with a comprehensive understanding of their rights under Title IX. I believe that informed and educated students contribute significantly to fostering a safer and more supportive campus environment. I am running to continue advocating for the well-being and rights of all students at WashU.

My unique perspective stems from a combination of hands-on advocacy experience, direct engagement with student concerns, and a proactive approach to addressing challenges. If given the opportunity, I am confident in my ability to contribute valuable insights and work towards the betterment of the student body. In the past, I have been an activist with Advocates for Youth, where I was able to propose bills to the congressional staff in my state to increase abortion coverage and funding. I was a part of a program where we trained people to become abortion doulas and volunteer at our local abortion clinics. My successful initiative to install Plan B vending machines at the University of Iowa demonstrates my commitment to practical solutions that directly benefit students, something that I plan on continuing in my term as a Senator. 

Yes

Currently as an appointed senator, I am on the Health and Wellness Committee where we have been working with the EST on making WashU a heart safe campus. We plan to do this by training students to be CPR certified, and this project is currently in the works. Additionally, we have also spent a majority of our time connecting with other student organizations to understand their needs. 

1. Establishing Plan B Vending Machines on campus: Currently, Plan B is not available on the weekends, and they are usually around $40 which can make it quite inaccessible for students. I plan on working with PPGA so that students can have 24×7 access to free Plan B. 
  2. Extending the hours of Habif and having it open for at least a few hours on the weekend. Currently, Habif does not operate on the weekends and students have to wait more than 60+ hours after Friday to access services. 
  3. Collaborating with the RSVP Center to have more educational events that empower students with a comprehensive understanding of their rights under Title IX and the different accommodations they have access to.

Candidate: Ella Dawn Bruno – Class of 2027

I am running for a chance to serve as a member of the Student Union Senate with the intention of serving on the Committee of Campus and Residential Experience. My reasoning is to get the student body more involved in university issues while speaking with administrators for all student’s voices to hold more weight. Student Union Senate is an opportunity to give back to the students, campus, and administrators that bring WashU to life!

When I decided to run for a senator position, it was because of the Campus and Residential Experience Committee. With experience as President of Park/Mudd Residential House, I have gotten the chance to speak to members of the community and Residential Life about the ups and downs of living at WashU. If I was given the chance to engage with this committee and Student Union, I could be a mediator that would be devout and caring of their work. As a freshman, I feel as if I could be a voice for the 2027 class. I bring the perspective of community and unity that I strive to help implement more at WashU.

No

First, I plan to first advocate for a more direct way for students to voice their concerns. At such an esteemed university, all thoughts matter and need to be well considered.

Second, I will advocate for a more accessible schedule of campus life events. This could be done by implementing a calendar with all campus and residential events, while setting these activities in times that do not overlap with others. 

Third, I intend to advocate for the restoration of older residential houses. All places that are a home to WashU students should be as up to date as all other residential houses. 

Candidate: Aron Goodman – Class of 2027

I am running for senate to pursue various community involvement projects. I want to specifically target the division in student population, from the separation by grade to the separation by politics, I plan to bolster communications and activity between the different groups. I want to improve on specific issues that have been brought up like issues with the shuttles, community interaction and organizational reach with the student body.

I am hoping to change SU’s perspective of how to garner student engagement with SU, and how to properly navigate the political tensions between student groups. With the current SU body, I have failed to see major student involvement in SU decisions, plans and events, so I am hoping to bring better marketing ideas to improve public support of SU. 

No

1. Collaboration
  2. Representation
  3. Unity

Candidate: Chantal Ogbeifun – Class of 2026

WashU sets the perfect stage for students of all backgrounds to achieve their dreams. Student Union is tasked with aiding in this process and I intend to use my diverse background to support students who both find themselves to be similar and different from me. Being raised in a Nigerian-Croatian household, attending a public high school in rural Missouri, and having experience as a first-gen student, would allow me to assist Student Union with increasing advocacy for cultural awareness while also giving me the platform to help undergraduates find their identity. Intersectionality can often be treated as a burden, but with the right student support we can first draw awareness to our differences and then work toward using these differences to make WashU and the greater St. Louis area a place of acceptance for all identities.

No

While WashU is a great University, there is definitely room to continue putting students at the top of its priority list. 

1. As a senator I intend to advocate for more transparency in academic and financial policies. This would include advocating for adjustments to the WashU web page to make information easier for students to find, as well as calling for transparency regarding student finances. All students have the right to know where their money is being used and why adjustments are made to their accounts. 
  2. My second priority is continuing support for mental health awareness in academics. Even though WashU is a competitive institution, students should still be encouraged to prioritize themselves first.
  3. Finally, I plan to advocate for easier communication between students and administrators. Through increased programming and emphasis on student-faculty relations, I seek to close the gap between the undergraduate student body and campus administration.

Candidate: Subratha Araselvan – Class of 2026

I am running for Senate because I am passionate about advocacy, and I see Senate as a way for students to advocate for ourselves and each other. As a sophomore student who did not participate in student government my first year, I feel that Student Union was somewhat detached from the rest of the student body. Because of this, I am eager to run for Senate because I want to bring Senate closer to the student body, so that Student Union can more closely engage students and advocate for our needs. Also, I believe that the university still needs to do a lot of work in engaging with students on financial aid, work-study, and who are FGLI, and Senate plays an important role in advocating for this work to be done. Running for Senate, I hope to foster a more inclusive and engaged student body.

My unique perspectives that I would bring to Student Union inform my commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. My own involvement in student groups is primarily identity-based, and I am passionate about advocating for all identities and the intersections of these identities. Additionally, as a work-study student, and a student on financial aid, I believe that Student Union needs more representation from students who are on financial aid or are FGLI. I hope to use my experience to advocate for financially accessible resources and initiatives for all students. In this way, I hope to use my unique experiences to uplift and advocate for underrepresented identities and the students who hold these identities.

No

1. One of the top priorities I plan to advocate for is increasing Senate’s accessibility to the student body. I believe that the student body deserves to have a voice and influence Senate’s initiatives, but that’s not something I think is currently being encouraged. My top priority is to encourage student voice in Senate’s initiatives, and allow this to inform the work I do and what I advocate for. 
  2. I hope to advocate for students who are on financial aid, work-study, and/or FGLI. I believe that these voices are underrepresented in SU, and I want to prioritize this by advocating for financially accessible resources and resources for students on financial aid or who are FGLI.
  3. I want to prioritize advocating for the mental health of students, primarily through administrative support and increased academic flexibility and leniency. I also want to prioritize more financially accessible mental health resources, and encourage awareness of mental health resources among students.

Candidate: Evan Hunt – Class of 2027

One of the first life lessons I received was not to tell but to SHOW what you are telling. The Treasury helps determine how funds are appropriated, the Constitutional Council adjudicates conflicts and sets precedents, and the President helps oversee it all, but what is the Senate’s role? The Senate is the student body’s voice and must represent them. This change should not only be told but also shown. The Senate and the subsequent Senatorial committees should each be crafting policy proposals and solutions to current and anticipated issues that will impact the student body and then transparently and concisely explaining what they are doing to the public. The Senate must also ensure their policies are being successfully enacted by consistently reviewing, with a proposal that could apply to this: the Senate push for safer sex supplies in dormitories and seeing if the ample supply of materials is being sustained.

I have felt like an error in a code set all my life. When I was young, I was diagnosed with several learning disorders, including ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder. I initially felt I could not keep up with others, but through time, I learned that I wasn’t an ‘error’ but rather just processed things and thought of issues differently than many. While I struggle in some fields like physics, I excel in topics I am passionate about, including civic service and the interworking of Government. Through my own and others’ experiences, I can bring a unique voice to expanding resources and awareness for supporting students facing challenges and collaborating with resources outside of SU. Furthermore I have been proactive in community service all my life, from the coral reef institute to fostering kittens for the ASPCA. These experiences helped enshrine the importance of sustainability to my campaign.

No

While I would work to tackle many issues, the key pillars of my candidacy are Transparency, ecological sustainability, and responsiveness to students’ needs. I would designate getting support to all students who are facing inherent challenges, working in a way that doesn’t constrain our budget to implement more ways to make our campus more green friendly (which could open a pathway for more funding for green programs), and broadcasting what I am doing, the Senate is doing, and Student Union to the entire campus community.

Candidate: Ian Gomez – Class of 2027

Three words: connection, communication, and community. In the ABCs of getting to know Ian, these three sum up the spirit of what I plan on accomplishing if elected to the Senate. The main role Student Union fulfills is to be a bridge between administration and students, and ensure that student organizations on campus feel properly supported in order to thrive and provide us students with community. Connecting students with both administration and one another, communicating our agenda and plans for the future here at WashU, and building lasting community among the student organizations we support. I want to be in the Senate because I want to be a voice for my community and give back in the spirit of service. Everyone has a place at WashU, and if not, then we find ways of building that support network. The Student Union and the Senate are crucial parts of what make this school the way it is, and I want to be a part of this huge task of representing ALL student voices. I want to serve my community and play a part in making it better, with the perspective I can provide as a First-Year Student.

I would provide a unique insight as someone involved with campus life and ready to listen and represent everyone to campus administration. As President of my residential college (JKL, go elephants!), I have planned multiple events and even formed a partnership with another student-run on-campus business (shoutout to Panda Provisions) as a part of my administration and goals in CS40. I am also an active member of ALAS, and as such, I want to bring the spirit of community I have found in places like ALAS to the new ideas that students bring to the Student Union for us to decide.

No

I stand strongly for mental health advocacy and support for on-campus counseling resources like Uncle Joe’s, combating the food dessert effect on main campus after certain hours where it seems impossible to find things to eat by providing other ways of getting food, and for open transparency in communicating our decisions and agendas to the student body and media such as this, keeping everyone informed.

Candidate: Braeden Rose – Class of 2025

Did not submit answers

Matthew Broome – Class of 2027

Did not submit answers

Arts & Sciences Council President

Candidate: Rachel Kim – Class of 2025

Did not submit answers

Candidate: Scott Sauers – Class of 2024

Did not submit answers

Arts & Sciences Council Vice President for Academic Outreach

Candidate: Rodrigo Suarez Lopez Gallo – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be Arts & SAciences Council Vice President for Academic Outreach?

My father, who grew up in Mexico, has always told me to try as much as possible. He dreamed of the experiences I’m now a part of. To me, this position means understanding the education I receive to a level where I can share my experiences with others. WashU was one of the top schools I wanted to be accepted into. Now that I’m here, I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want to contribute to their education through a medium like this.

Everyone has a unique perspective because no person is the same as the other. I happen to be an immigrant who moved to a small town in a hick state and culture shock is something I still experience to this day. Culture is, I think, what makes everyone so unique. The culture of academics at WashU is at another level compared to most high schools in America. Incoming and current students shouldn’t have to feel stressed out when they’re finding internships or trying to fit a class into their schedules. I would like to see WashU ease the shock and stress that comes with college.

No

What experience do you have that prepares you for the role and responsibilities of Arts & Sciences Council Vice President for Academic Outreach?

During my high school career, I was lucky enough to hold positions that placed me near administrators of both the school and district. The connection you’re able to make at that level is extremely necessary for the success of whatever you may be championing to the administration. University is immensely different than high school; however, I know that the skills I’ve learned are transferable and I’m hoping the student body sees that.

What do you believe is the job of Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Academic Outreach?

Improving the academic careers of all individuals in the College of Arts & Sciences. The VP should create an environment where students aren’t confused or frustrated about what their next step should be in expanding their studies.

Candidate: Gabe Forrtress – Class of 2025

Recently, WashU has been rolling out numerous initiatives aimed at increasing the accessibility of the university to prospective students, namely those who are pell-grant receiving, first-generation, and/or low-income (FLGI). However, in doing so, they have neglected the internal infrastructure that catalyzes the socioeconomic stratification within the undergraduate population. As a member of Taylor STARS (formerly Deneb STARS) and TRIO, these issues mainly impact my fellow peers and result in an unnecessary financial burden being placed on them to access various materials to be successful both inside and outside the classroom. Moreover, there is a significant disconnect between students and various faculty and administrative entities within the division. I plan to lessen this divide by providing an open line of communication for students by establishing monthly forums to allow students to voice their concerns in an open environment. 

My other responses address this question, so there is no need to reiterate it. 

Yes

I currently hold the position of Vice President for Academic Outreach,. Due to the lack of guidance from people who served pre-covid, the ArtSci Council spent most of its time recovering, reorganizing, and establishing itself as a relevant entity in the Student Union. Whether or not we were entirely successful is debatable; however, I am hopeful that with my prior experience, increased funding, and better collaboration with administrative bodies, we will have a more present role in the College of Arts & Sciences. As for my position, I have spent the past semester serving on the Curriculum Committee, trying to advocate for the adoption of open-source course materials––essentially hoping to eliminate the need for students to pay for expensive textbooks, courseware, and other resources that they may only use for a semester. 

As previously mentioned, I have already spent a term as the Vice President for Academic Outreach and am familiar with my role and scope of practice within the ArtSci Council. Moreover, having spent the past two years on the Undergraduate Student Affairs Advisory Board (USAAB), I have become well-versed in the multiple issues impacting the WashU community and the steps the university takes to address them. Additionally, having been a UTA last spring and possibly reassuming the role this upcoming spring, I am incredibly passionate about seeing students succeed, communicating course policies and expectations in an accessible way, and working with peers to better themselves academically and personally.

The primary role of the Vice President for Academic Outreach is similar to that of an ethnographer––to be an active participant and observer to help contextualize various issues and systems that inhibit undergraduates’ academic success. While being well-versed in the academic policies in the College of Arts & Sciences is essential, it does not eclipse the significance of identifying how these policies (or lack of specific policies) directly impact students. This includes narrowing the division between students, students and faculty, and students and the administration. Additionally, advocating for the integration of discrete and transparent policies that aid students who are not privileged with a bounty of resources. In short, this role aims to create a more equitable and open environment for all students and eliminate the “pay to play” and “survival of the richest” mentality WashU has cultivated for decades. 

Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Administration

Candidate: Omar Abdelmoity – Class of 2026

Did not submit answers

Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Finance

Candidate: Luis Tinajero-Areola – Class of 2027

Did not submit answers

Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Programming

Candidate: Roy Claverie – Class of 2024

Why are you running to be Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Programming?

My goal is to make ArtSci Council EFFECTIVE AND KNOWN. 

Ask yourself, do you know what ArtSci Council is? Can you name an event that ArtSci Council puts on? You probably answered no to both of those questions. Despite being the largest division, few people know about ArtSci Council or any events they put on. If elected as VP Programming, I promise not only to put on multiple events over the next year, but also to ensure that you hear about them.

For advertisement, I will work with the rest of the elected council to establish relationships with all the departments, to build a larger social media presence, and to advertise via tabling in the DUC and flyering. For programming, I will use the money already allocated by SU for those events and request more money as needed.

As somebody with 2.5+ years of leadership on various executive boards (ACAC, WUIRC, More Fools Than Wise, Give Thanks Give Back), I understand Campus Life and SU procedures from both student group’s perspective and the student’s perspective. I have experience planning and advertising various types of events, which is needed for ArtSci Council. 

Are you currently serving, or have you previously served on Student Union?

No

What experience do you have that prepares you for the role and responsibilities of Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Programming?

If you attended We Sing for Ice Cream or Voices and Sounds, you attended an event that I helped plan in conjunction with a university department. VP Programming is a position that requires you to coordinate with university departments, and I have that experience. I also have experience in planning events with outside vendors (AV for concerts and hotel/bus contracts for WashU’s high school Model UN conference), so I am very comfortable talking to vendors outside of WashU and working with Campus Life to get those contracts approved.

What specific programming do you hope to pursue or implement?

ArtSci Council currently has $3,300 allocated for various ArtSci mixers. I promise that all three of these events will happen some time in the Spring. Following these events, I would begin planning a larger welcome event for ArtSci Students next fall around the Activities Fair to establish ArtSci Council as an entity that puts on events like EnCouncil and Art Council. Finally, there is untapped potential for smaller quality of life programming like EnCouncil’s “cookies after physics exams.”

Candidate: Jaquelin Cardenas-Lopez – Class of 2027

I am running for ArtSci Council to drive positive change in the student body. Given that we compose the largest percentage of the WashU population, my aim is to reflect the diversity of our student body through the school’s programming. By enhancing current event structures, I hope to increase the success of our students during their undergraduate years and better prepare them for their post-graduation goals.

I bring a unique blend of perspectives to the Student Union due to my experiences as a first-generation latina with an upbringing in a rural background. Having navigated communities with limited opportunities, I deeply understand the critical need for accessibility, inclusivity, and diversity when providing opportunities for all students.  I aim to represent and advocate for students that can identify with any shared identities, as well as the broader community.  My diverse background not only enriches my own experience but fuels my commitment to ensuring that the Student Union actively represents and supports the varied needs and identities of our student body. I am dedicated to communicating the diverse needs of our student body through my presence and advocacy in the Student Union.

No

As a member of the ALAS executive board, I possess valuable experience in event planning and execution. I’ve been tasked with planning events that cater to Latine underclassmen, as well as providing suggestions to improve social events for the greater community. Through these responsibilities, I’ve honed my ability to collaborate with diverse groups and adapt event planning strategies to meet the unique needs of different communities. I am confident that these skills will allow me to provide events that satisfy the demands of ArtSci students. 

In my term, I hope to enhance the events offered by the College of Arts and Sciences to fulfill the diverse interests of the student body. I plan on meeting these needs by expanding the types of industries present at career fairs to better align with the various post-graduation goals of our students. Additionally, I plan to introduce events focused on professional development, including internship fairs. I will ensure that internship opportunities will have locations throughout the country, ensuring accessibility for all students, particularly those from rural areas with limited opportunities. Furthermore, I am committed to implementing events tailored to first-generation, low-income students that aim to enhance their professional skills and foster growth within our academic community. Lastly, I hope to establish collaborations with other schools to better guide students who hope to pursue majors and minors across schools so they can make the most of their undergraduate experience. 

Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Public Relations

Candidate: Amanna Mbagwu – Class of 2027

Why are you running to be Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Public Relations?

I am running to be ArtSci Council VP of Public Relations because I do not want the student body under the School of Arts and Sciences to feel lost and unseen among the largeness of the school. I want to promote a social environment that fosters acknowledgement between those in positions of power and students who want to be in the know about what is currently happening.

I would bring a more individual perspective to the public relations process. In the past the use of general flyers and posters has been primarily directed to a large audience, however, I feel that individual students should have the right to pose questions and learn about what the council produces and how it affects them.

No

What experience do you have that prepares you for the role and responsibilities of Arts & Sciences Council Vice President of Public Relations?

During high school, I served as an ambassador to connect current students and prospective students, along with parents, which is a similar dynamic to an ArtSci Council member and a student in the School of Arts and Sciences. As the VP of Public Relations, I am able to act as a liaison that students can rely on to provide information and resources that are readily at their disposal.

How would you improve Student Union internally?

I would advocate for more interconnectedness within all branches of the Student Union. On the outside the branches can appear quite far from each other, but since each one is under Student Union there should be a more connected image. Working on extended projects together that involve each branch is a potential method of improving the current dynamic of the Student Union that I would argue for.