New art and culture magazine hopes to refocus on students’ ‘eccentricity’

An open call for diverse models run by Washington University’s newest fashion magazine drew over 75 potential models.

Cling Wrap is a new online art and culture magazine co-directed by sophomores Erin Waldman and Carla Beghin that aims to push boundaries of style on campus through fashion, photography, film, illustration, creative writing, articles and interviews.

Organizers said Cling Wrap will be primarily made up of independent projects and serve as a platform for artists to further the aesthetics of both the magazine and their own art. Beghin said the magazine plans to give artists the ability to express themselves freely through minimal editing of writing and video.

“There’s so much of the editing component that tweaks or revises what art really is to the person that made it, and we’re trying to avoid doing that as much as possible,” Beghin said.

At the moment, Cling Wrap is still looking for content creators, but they hope to have their first issue out online by the end of the semester.

While Washington University’s preexisting fashion magazine, Armour, already has a strong presence on campus, Cling Wrap hopes to create a space for the unconventional.

“There’s no outlet on campus where people can really put forth, for lack of a better word, weird content,” Beghin said. “There’s no publication that promotes this weird eccentricity or visual or written content, and there’s nothing that’s really provocative to look at.”

Armour aims to celebrate style and culture in the WU community. In early days it primarily targeted students actively involved in the fashion scene, but has since grown to include students from broader fields of study interested in learning more about fashion and their own personal styles.

“I think that having all these writers and editors—that people come from such different disciplines is something to be celebrated,” junior Charlotte Jones, co-editor of Armour, said. “We want some more conversation, some pushback against mainstream fashion or against common-held beliefs.”

As a well-established and widely read magazine, Armour hopes to use their position to reach out to students. They hope to partner with Reflections, WU’s body positive group, to promote dialogue about body image in the fashion industry.

“We have such an ability to voice different issues and different topics that we want to talk about,” senior Lily Sullivan, co-editor of Armour, said.

Cling Wrap plans to go about initiating this conversation through the overall content of their magazine.

“That was…part of the goal of the model call, to have this broad group of people that all show up with different physical attributes that we can say, ‘Look, we’re trying to be as comprehensive as possible in representing the student body,’” Beghin said.

While Armour and Cling Wrap have similar goals for their work, creators say there is no animosity between them.

“There’s never a shortage of creative content, and especially on a campus like this where everyone is so intelligent and comes from such different parts of the country, the world, economic background, everything,” Sullivan said. “All these rich outlets are coming to campus and I’m excited to see and participate in that.”