Student mugged at gunpoint near Greenway apts.

| News Editors

Four people mugged a female student outside the Greenway Apartments at the corner of Washington and Melville avenues at 9:20 p.m. Sunday night, holding her at gunpoint and stealing her backpack, according to Washington University Police Department Chief Don Strom.

The University City Police Department, which has jurisdiction over that area, has not yet identified any suspects, as the student was unable to provide them with detailed physical descriptions of the muggers, who ran toward Delmar Avenue after robbing the student.

The victim was not physically injured in the incident.

The lead detectives from University City Police could not be reached for this article. Because the investigation is ongoing, the police would not release the student’s identity.

According to the Police incident report, the victim’s cell phone, purse, debit card, student I.D. and apartment keys were also taken in the incident.

According to Strom, while University City Police will be leading the investigation, the Washington University Police Department (WUPD) will cooperate with University City to provide any assistance necessary and specifically to increase patrols in the area of the mugging.

“We’re providing any assistance that University City Police requests,” Strom said. “Part of the extra patrols is to try and identify any potential suspects in the area.”

WUPD issued a crime alert to University students living off campus on Monday, informing them of the incident and suggesting safety precautions.

Despite the promise of additional patrols, some off-campus residence students still feel ill at ease. Junior Alex Gordan, a Greenway resident who walks back to his apartment from the art school around 2 a.m. four nights a week, says he cannot help but think about the incident when he walks home now.

“I was a little shocked,” Gordan said. “I feel a little uncomfortable. Once you get over the bridge, it’s always more uncomfortable. It makes me ride my bike.”

Following the incident, junior Jeff Nelson, Student Union vice president of administration, wrote a letter to Strom and Assistant Vice Chancellor for Students Justin Carroll, encouraging them to inform the entire student body about the incident, increase the frequency of WUPD patrols in the area, expand the Bear Patrol service range and provide more lighting on the walkway to Greenway.

“This is the third year that a major crime incident has occurred. Every time it happens, and people get shaken up and there’s a lot of talk about security, but then it sort of gets lost in the mix,” Nelson said.

The police department encourages any persons with information that may be of value to call 314-935-5555 or Crime Stoppers at 866-371-TIPS. Anonymous information can also be provided to WUPD by visiting the “Silent Witness” at police.wustl.edu.