Volleyball setter named national player of the year

| Senior Editor

Senior Allison Zastrow committed to play volleyball at Washington University in part because of the program’s prestigious history.

Four years later, the setter from Lincoln, Neb., has clinched a prominent spot in the program’s all-time ranks.

Senior setter Allison Zastrow celebrates after winning against the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh on Sept. 5, 2015.  Zastrow ranks second in Division III in assists per set this season.

Senior setter Allison Zastrow celebrates after winning against the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh on Sept. 5, 2015. Zastrow ranks second in Division III in assists per set this season.

Zastrow was named the Division III player of the year by the American Volleyball Coaches Association on Wednesday, becoming the eighth player in Wash. U. history, and first since 2002, to earn the honor.

The seven previous winners from Wash. U. have all been honored in the school’s Hall of Fame.

“I was absolutely, totally in shock,” Zastrow said about learning of the honor. “It never even occurred to me as a possibility.”

“I’m sort of still in awe over being a part of that group,” she added about the renowned company she joined. “It’s really wonderful to be a part of that tradition.”

In her first full season as setter this year, Zastrow paced one of the most productive offenses in Division III. Through last weekend’s games, Zastrow led the country in total assists (1,525) and ranked second in assists per set (11.64), and Wash. U. as a team topped the national leaderboard in kills per set and ranked fifth in hitting percentage.

Zastrow deflected credit for the team’s offensive success, instead praising the attackers surrounding her on the court. Four of the Bears’ five primary attackers this year have passed the 1,000-kill milestone in their careers.

“I really couldn’t have asked for a better group of girls to play with, who are such strong attackers and can just put anything down,” Zastrow said.

But the relationship between setter and attacker is reciprocal, her coach clarified.

“The attackers always get a lot of credit for all the kills that they get, and they’re always the ones finishing the point, but you always need the setter to get them a pretty ball, and I don’t think setters get that credit sometimes,” head coach Vanessa Walby said about Zastrow’s play for a Student Life feature two weeks ago.

“Al is a really strong athlete,” Walby added. “I don’t think she ever has a panic mentality to her— she stays pretty relaxed, pretty comfortable, but she’s also one of our players that probably is the most fundamentally sound.”

Zastrow finished her Bear career with a 127-21 record that included one conference title and three regional final appearances. She amassed 2,624 assists over four years, good for 10th all time at Wash. U., to go along with 803 digs, 588 kills and 143 blocks.

The No. 1 Bears were eliminated from the Division III tournament in the regional final over the weekend, falling in four sets to No. 9 California Lutheran University.

“I’m just really, really grateful for all the opportunities that I’ve had the last four years, and I’m really, really grateful that I got to do it with the other seniors by my side,” Zastrow said.

She said she’s probably done with her playing career, which started in fifth grade and encompassed a state championship in high school. Instead, she plans to help coach at volleyball camps and make use of her academic career, where she is majoring in physics with a minor in religious studies.

In addition to player of the year, Zastrow spent this month receiving a host of other end-of-season awards. She earned first-team status in the All-American, All-Central Region and All-University Athletic Association (UAA) distinctions, and she became the 13th player in program history to be named the UAA’s most valuable player.

Beyond Zastrow’s first-team selection, announced Tuesday, junior middle hitter Caroline Dupont earned a spot on the second team, and senior outside hitter Nkiru Udenze and junior outside Rexi Sheredy received honorable mention nods.