Scoring the teams in the 2012 Fall Classic

Leah Kucera | Student Life

Not sure who to root for? Can’t quite decide who the more appealing team is in this World Series? Here, we’ll help you by evaluating the teams (from 0 to 10) in several categories of the utmost importance.

LINEUP: Tigers 8, Giants 6

In 2012, the Tigers scored more runs in the tougher American League (AL) than the Giants did in the National League (NL), and the heart of their lineup (Cabrera, Fielder, and American League Championship Series MVP Delmon Young) looks better right now than that of the Giants, who have had struggles this postseason from some of their best hitters (Pence and Posey). This could all change if Marco Scutaro continues to hit like Babe Ruth reincarnate, but that’s not something you can count on. –Kurt Rohrbeck

PITCHING: Tigers 8, Giants 7

Verlander/Fister/Sanchez/Scherzer is about as good as you’ll see in a four-deep rotation, and while Matt Cain is tremendous, I don’t know what the best you can hope for is when you’re asking for up to four starts from historically troubled Barry Zito and recently troubled Madison Bumgarner. However, if the Tigers can’t get seven innings a night out of their starters, then the bullpen edge goes to the Giants. José Valverde has been wild—to put it lightly—and while the rest of the Detroit bullpen is decent, the committee approach that the Giants have taken all year puts them at an advantage. –KR

MVP CANDIDATES: Tigers 8, Giants 6

While no one is certain on who will be the AL and NL MVPs—they are announced after the World Series is over—it is definite that the incredible offensive force that is Detroit third baseman Miguel Cabrera and the young yet powerful San Francisco catcher Buster Posey are both in serious contention for these awards. Cabrera earned the Triple Crown and at times looks completely unstoppable, which will lead to a few intentional walks in this series. Posey is a remarkable story, rebounding from a horrific collision that led to a broken leg and managing a lights-out pitching staff. Cabrera wins on his sheer dominance at the plate but doesn’t get full credit—his defense and baserunning leave something to be desired. –Danny Schwartz

ATHLETE THAT LOOKS UNATHLETIC: Giants 9, Tigers 8

Julian H. Gonzalez | Detroit Free Press | MCT

Tigers’ 1B Prince Fielder

Pablo Sandoval is listed as a generous 240 pounds; Prince Fielder, 275. Let’s be real, both of those numbers seem pretty low. As far as their stats go, it’s a tale of two seasons. Fielder hit 30 homers and 108 RBIs in the regular season, while Sandoval missed time with a hamstring injury. Sandoval, however, is batting .320 with three homers and nine RBIs in the postseason, compared to Fielder’s .211 average, one home run and three RBIs. Heading into the World Series, Sandoval has the slight edge just because he is on fire. –Sahil Patel

Gary Reyes | San Jose Mercury News | MCT

Giants’ 3B Pablo Sando

BATTLE OF THE CABRERAS: Tigers 9, Giants 0

Fun fact: There are only two M. Cabreras in Major League Baseball history. One is the first Triple Crown winner since 1967 and likely MVP; the other used a banned drug and tried to avoid a suspension by creating a fake website intended to fool the authorities. I’m pretty sure college kids are better at making up excuses for imbibing illicit substances. –Zach Kram

UNIFORM/COLOR COMBINATION: Giants 9, Tigers 7

In what is admittedly just my biased opinion, orange and black is one of the best color combinations in sports, so the Giants have the edge here, even though I’m also a fan of the classic-looking blue-on-white that the Tigers have going on. It’s very clean. Looking forward to an aesthetically-pleasing series. –KR

FACIAL HAIR: Giants 9, Tigers 4

Just because I suffer occasional nightmares as Brian Wilson’s beard assaults my dreams (watch Wilson’s “This is SportsCenter” commercial if you want a horror flick but don’t have two hours to spare) doesn’t mean I dismiss it. Rather, I see his frightening fuzz as an immaculate work of art, more Michelangelo with David than Johnny Damon with the Red Sox.

Wilson and fellow reliever Sergio Romo are the Ruth-Gehrig of beards; Detroit’s neatly trimmed facial hair simply has no chance at competing. The Giants only lose a point because of Tim Lincecum’s terrible, three-whisker excuse of a soul patch. –ZK

Karl Mondon | Contra Costa Times | MCT

Giants’ reliever Brian Wilson

NON-BASEBALL TEAMS WITH SAME MASCOT: Giants 8, Tigers 4

In major college and professional sports in the United States, there are more teams with Tigers as their mascot, primarily in college football. Three Southeastern Conference schools (Auburn University, Louisiana State University and the University of Missouri) boast the striped felines as the representatives for their teams. But the Giants’ one major team happens to be the New York Giants, a team that is the defending Super Bowl champion and sits in firm control of the NFC East. The Giants have the more recent championship pedigree, giving them the advantage. –SP

BETTER LCS MVP WHO’S ACTUALLY NOT THAT GOOD: Giants 9, Tigers 1

If you had to name one player on both the Tigers and Giants that would lead his team to triumph in a seven-game series, would you pick Delmon Young and Marco Scutaro? Highly unlikely, but those two players took this year’s League Championship Series MVP honors. Scutaro is a journeyman middle infielder in his late-30s, and Young, despite being a former No. 1 overall draft pick, has performed below the level of a Triple-A replacement player (according to the sabermetric statistic Wins Above Replacement) in four of his seven big league seasons. Why so large an edge for Scutaro? For one, his past five seasons have actually been the most productive of his career. And unlike Young, who was arrested earlier this year after scuffling with four New Yorkers and allegedly shouting an anti-Semitic slur, Scutaro has not been charged with a hate crime. –Alex Leichenger

Chris Lee | St. Louis Post-Dispatch | MCT

Giants’ shortstop Marco Scutaro