No. 4 North Central downs football in 43-24 win

Heman Duplechan | Contributing Reporter

The Washington University football team allowed 29 second-quarter points to high-powered No. 4 North Central College, falling short, 43-24 Saturday at Francis Field.

On paper, the Bears looked to be outmatched against one of Division III’s top teams. But the Red and Green didn’t back down from this challenge; Wash. U. came out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

Freshman Nick Cione gets tackled as he runs the ball against North Central (Ill.) Falling 43-24, the Bears look to get back in the win column, at Washington and Lee, Saturday.Grace Bruton | Student Life

Freshman Nick Cione gets tackled as he runs the ball against North Central (Ill.) Falling 43-24, the Bears look to get back in the win column, at Washington and Lee, Saturday.

It started with the defense forcing North Central’s offense to turn the ball over on downs to stop what looked to be a promising drive. The Wash. U. offense quickly took over. Wanting to impose themselves early, the Red and Green drew first blood with a 24-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Johnny Davidson to sophomore running back John Fisher.

On North Central’s next possession, the Bear defense held strong again, forcing a three-and-out and a quick punt.

Wash. U.’s offense continued to click, driving down the field with a nine-play 47-yard drive topped off with a 46-yard field goal by senior kicker Dan Kalvaitis. That put the Bears up by double digits, a surprising lead over the potent Cardinals.

North Central’s offense took the field again, desperate to find some offensive momentum. This time, the Cardinal marched down the field with a 10-play, 64-yard drive, resulting in a three-yard touchdown run to bring the score back to within three.

North Central’s defense also stifled the Bears during the second quarter, forcing Wash. U. to go three-and-out after three straight sacks on their next possession. North Central would capitalize on their next offensive possession with a 20-yard touchdown pass to quickly turn the tables on the Bears with a 14-10 lead.

After North Central grabbed the lead in the second quarter, they would never look back. Their defense came up with another big play, intercepting a pass from Davidson. Wide receiver Jalen Dennis was the next to strike for the Cardinals, rushing for a 14-yard touchdown to extend the North Central lead to 20-10.

After another three-and-out from the Wash. U. offense, North Central pieced together an 11-play, 81-yard drive, capped off by a one-yard touchdown rush that made the Cardinal lead two possessions.

Wash. U., in dire need of a response at this point in the game, was unable to deliver, punting again on the ensuing possession. North Central drove the ball down the field for the remainder of the half, putting the cherry on top of their second-quarter effort with a final 34-yard field goal. Despite the quick start, the blistering close the quarter by the Cardinals left the Red and Green down, 29-10, after a half.

“We had to make plays at the appropriate moments,” head coach Larry Kindbom said. “And we just didn’t do that.”

In the second half, the Wash. U. offense continued to struggle to replicate its early success, starting the half with another empty possession. The Bears defense was able to make a few plays early in the third quarter, including a blocked field goal by senior defensive back Andrew Ralph, recovered by senior defensive lineman Garris Goe, to temporarily keep the Cardinals off the board.

North Central’s offense would retake the field after the Bears failed to convert a tough fourth and nine, connecting immediately on a 41-yard pass. Just a few plays later, they turned it into a touchdown to extend the lead to 36-10.

This time, Wash. U.’s offense found a response, putting together a nine-play, 74-yard drive ending with a four-yard touchdown rush by Fisher to get the Bears back on the board. The Red and Green entered the final frame down, 36-17.

North Central didn’t relent, continuing to execute on the offensive end. A quick 13-yard touchdown on the ground gave the Cardinals their final score of the game; Davidson and junior wide receiver Jason Singer connected for a 32-yard score later to mark the 43-24 final.

While facing the No. 4 team in the nation was a tall task for the Bears, Kindbom said he saw a number of improvements from his players and took away a few silver linings from the loss.

“We’re growing each week as a team,” Kindbom said. “There were a handful of plays where maybe we could have had an impact, and we didn’t…but those plays might go our way one or two weeks from now.”

Kindbom also expressed great optimism about the younger players on the team beginning to come into their own.

“I’m excited about where we are,” Kindbom said. “The young guys are beginning to step up, which is what championship programs do.”

Wash. U. will look to bounce back on the road next weekend, as they travel to take on Washington and Lee University Saturday.