Now Hear This!: Steve Aoki

Kimberly Henrickson | Contributing Writer

Who Steve Aoki, with Borgore, Waka Flocka Flame, Felix Cartel, Deorro, and Kryoman

Where The Pageant

When Thursday, Nov. 7, first opener at 6:30 p.m., headliner at 10:20 p.m.

Price $31 in advance, $33.50 at the door

Steve Aoki, the disc jockey and producer sometimes referred to as the “Asian Jesus,” returns to St. Louis Thursday after less than eight months away from the city. The EDM mastermind behind the studio album “Wonderland” and remixes such as that of Kid Cudi’s “Pursuit of Happiness” is known for both his popping beats and astonishing on-stage antics, which include spraying champagne into the crowd and executing acrobatic tricks. Since his performance with Kendrick Lamar at Chaifetz Arena last April, Aoki’s been busy: he’s released three new singles, worked on his upcoming album “Neon Future” and just launched his current tour, “Aokify America.”

The lineup, which includes a whopping five openers, will definitely be conducive to the rave-type atmosphere; there will be back-to-back performances from 6:30 p.m. until almost midnight. If you’re in the mood for a rap vibe, make sure to check out Waka Flocka Flame, starting at 8 p.m. Otherwise, get to The Pageant early to catch the first opener, Aoki-protege Felix Cartel, and then go get dinner at one of the loop’s many eateries before Aoki begins spinning his set.

Aoki promises both awesome EDM and an insanely entertaining show. What’s not to love? As the man himself has said, he’s a “time-traveling, speed-reading, fortune-telling, machine-gunning, gypsy-loving, scuba-diving, multitasking, poker-playing fan of life.” Sounds like a good time to me. And maybe if you’re lucky, he’ll even throw some cake in your direction as you jam out to his otherworldly tunes.