On the coming year: Letter from the new editor

| Editor-in-Chief

Hello all,

As Matthew wrote in his letter last week, this is my first week as Editor-in-Chief for the 2022-2023 year. I’m writing this to share the rest of this school year’s plans with the community and to reaffirm Matthew’s calls for change within Student Life.

The plans for the rest of the year are as follows:  We will be releasing online content in the weeks to come, in addition to sending out our newsletter, although not on a daily basis. The end of this semester will be devoted to producing Finish Line (our final issue) and some of our regular content. More importantly, we will be focusing our time on restructuring our processes and reenvisioning our culture to make Student Life an organization that staff members and editors are excited to work for. 

Two of our immediate changes are as follows: Our organization is expanding our section editor teams to reduce the burden on individual editors, and we will make sure that our news team prioritizes their mental health over releasing content on time frames that are unsustainable for their mental health. 

I’ll close with this. I’ve been an athlete for as long as I can remember. One of the main takeaways I’ve had from my time in sports is that people perform better when they are part of teams where they are having fun and love the people they are working alongside. My main goals for this year are to reduce stress within Stud Life, bring a spirit of fun back to the organization, and do that all while producing content that our community can learn from. 

I feel grateful for everyone who has taken the time to speak with me about how to make this organization better, and I’m ready for more of those conversations in the year to come. 

If you have questions about the future of the paper, feel free to reach out to me. 

Cheers,

Julia Robbins

Student Life, Editor-in-Chief | 2022-23

[email protected]