Lizzy Crist nominated by UAA for NCAA Woman of the Year

| Editor-in-Chief

Lizzy Crist is the UAA nominee for the 2017 NCAA Woman of the Year Award.

The award honors graduating female student-athletes who excelled in athletics, academics, service and leadership throughout college.

Bears, Women's Soccer, Lizzy Crist

Lizzy Crist plays in goal in the NCAA finals in December 2016. The Bears won for the first time in program history.

Crist, who graduated this May, was the goalkeeper of the Washington University women’s soccer team, leading the team to a program-first national championship in fall 2016.

In addition to being named the top defensive player in the NCAA Championship in both 2015—when the Bears lost to Williams College in the final—and 2016, Crist tied the Wash. U. single-season record in wins (19) and broke the mark in shutouts (13) in the latter campaign.

She also received numerous other athletic accolades as the Red and Green goalie, being named D3soccer.com’s Goalkeeper of the Year in 2015, the National Soccer Coaches Association of America National Player of the Year in 2016 and the Division III Honda Athlete of the Year in 2017.

Academically, Crist was an academic all-UAA honoree three times and graduated summa cum laude with a 3.9 GPA. She earned the Outstanding Senior Achievement Award from Wash. U.’s Department of Biomedical Engineering.

Crist is off to the University of Minnesota in the fall, where she will pursue a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering.

She will find out whether she is the choice for NCAA Woman of the Year while at Minnesota: The top 30 nominees for the honor will be selected in early September, the nine finalists will be determined later that month and the winner will be announced at an Oct. 22 awards dinner in Indianapolis.