Men’s and women’s soccer teams defeat Fontbonne on Tuesday

Anna Schoenfeld | Contributing Reporter

On Tuesday evening, the Washington University men’s and women’s soccer teams both shut out their Wydown Boulevard rival, Fontbonne University. The women dominated the Griffins by a 2-0 score, while the men were able to convert late in the game and push to a 1-0 win. Combined, Bears soccer has shut out their opponents in 15 of 19 games thus far this season.

Men
It took awhile, but the No. 8 Bears were finally able to get on the board in the 77th minute when senior midfielder Corey Meehan beat a defender down the right side and slotted a pass into the box for graduate student and fellow midfielder Jack West. West lofted a shot into the upper corner of the net, giving the Bears a 1-0 lead they would never relinquish. The goal was West’s third of the season and the assist was Meehan’s second.
Despite the close score, Wash. U. controlled the pace play throughout the game, outshooting the Griffins 11-2 in the first half and 20-5 overall. Sophomore midfielder Kyle Perez lead the barrage with a game-high five shots of his own.
The Bears also made the most of their chances, pounding the Fontbonne goalie with eight shots on goal.
With their seventh shutout of the season, the Bears continued their undefeated play, improving their record to 7-0-1. They are one of only 12 unbeaten teams remaining in all of Division III men’s soccer. Meanwhile, the Griffins fall to 1-9-1 on the season.
Wash. U.’s next contest is a face-off against conference rival Emory University on South Campus on Saturday afternoon. Last season, the Eagles defeated Wash. U. 1-0 in a tight defensive battle that featured a combined four shots on goal

Women
After a disappointing 3-1 loss to University of Rochester over the weekend in their first conference matchup of the season, the No. 15-ranked Bears bounced back in a solid game against Fontbonne.
Wash. U. got on the board early during a corner kick in the 17th minute. Senior back Hannah Rosenberg took the kick, sending it into the box toward the opposite post where senior forward Katie Chandler was able to convert for her third goal of the season. Chandler also led the Bears with five shots on goal in the contest.
The Bears dominated the remainder of the first half, outshooting Fontbonne 10-2.
In the 57th minute, Wash. U. completed a crisp passing play that resulted in their second goal. Freshman midfielder Jesse Rubin set up junior midfielder Gillian Myers for a left-footed shot which beat the Fontbonne goalie, extending the lead to 2-0.
The Bears’ defense has been rock-solid throughout the season, and Tuesday was no different, as they held the Griffins to just two shots on goal. Wash. U. also had a 6-0 advantage in corner kicks.
Senior goaltender Lizzy Crist was barely tested in the game, only having to make one save. The contest was her eighth shutout of the season and 23rd of her career, the third most in Wash. U. history.
Wash U. improved their record to 8-2-1, ending Fontbonne’s four-game win streak. The Griffins fell to 6-5-1 on the season.
The Bears will look to continue their dominant play heading into the weekend, when they resume conference play against Emory University on Saturday morning at South Campus.