Women’s basketball extends winning streak to four

On Sunday afternoon, the Washington University women’s basketball team pulled away late to defeat New York University 76-59. Five players scored in double figures, led by senior Brianne Monahan’s 17 points and 12 rebounds.

Senior Claire Schaeperkoetter stepped into the point guard position and performed well, scoring 12 points and recording six assists. Senior Dani Hoover contributed 11 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three steals in 28 minutes of action.

The teams traded baskets early before Hoover sank a three to give Wash. U. its first lead of the day at 13-10. The Bears led by as many as nine following a jumper by freshman Alyssa Johanson to make the score 29-20 and coasted into the half up 34-26.

In the second half, NYU pulled to within two points three times before Schaeperkoetter went to work. She hit sophomore Jordan Rettig for an easy layup and, after a Monahan bucket, hit back-to-back threes to give Wash. U. a 58-46 lead.

Monahan then hit jumper after jumper to put the Bears comfortably in front for the rest of the game. Rettig finished with 12 points and six rebounds, and freshman Maddy Scheppers scored 11 points as well.

On Friday night, the Red and Green team suffocated Brandeis University’s offense en route to a 57-33 victory. The Judges committed 19 turnovers and shot just 27 percent from the field.

Hoover led the way for the Bears with 12 points, and 12 different players contributed to the final tally. Monahan added a team-high seven rebounds to go with her six points of the night.

For Brandeis, the game was put into perspective on their first possession. After the Judges earned possession on a back-court violation off of the opening tip, missed a jumper and collected the offensive rebound, senior Bethany Morrison forced a steal and drove the other way for an easy layup, giving the Bears a lead they would not give up.

It was a game of runs, as Wash. U. stormed out to a 25-5 lead, thanks to 5-7 shooting from the three-point line in the first 11:34. Brandeis responded with a 13-0 run of its own to close the lead to 25-18 with 3:02 left in the first half.

After the Bears came out of halftime with a 29-18 lead, the defense stepped up, holding the Judges to just three points in the first 13 minutes of the second half as Wash. U. went on a 16-3 run to push the lead to 45-21. From there, the Bears coasted to the finish as their lead never got smaller than 21.

Wash. U. concludes its regular season next Saturday on the road against No. 2 and undefeated University of Chicago. Tipoff is at 1 p.m. in a re-match of a hard-fought 65-62 win for the Maroons on Jan. 7.