Men’s, women’s swimming and diving teams defeat Chicago

Both the Washington University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams picked up wins against the University of Chicago at Millstone Pool this weekend.

The men’s team overtook Chicago by a score of 173-115, while the women narrowly edged out Chicago by a score of 152-148 during the Saturday meet. The Bears earned a collective 18 first place finishes, with 85 of the men’s points and 83 of the women’s points coming from first place finishes.

A diver flips into the pool at Wash. U. in the Bears' meet against University of Chicago. Both the men's and women's team won their meets this Saturday.Allison Hamburg | Student Life

A diver flips into the pool at Wash. U. in the Bears’ meet against University of Chicago. Both the men’s and women’s team won their meets this Saturday.

Junior Nicole Zanolli won the most individual races for either team, securing wins in the 100 backstroke (58.51), the 200 backstroke (2:05.5) and the individual medley (4:31.08). In total she earned 27 points all on her own.

Junior Niamh O’Grady won the 200 butterfly with a 2:06.6 time, while freshman Stephanie Li won both the 100 (1:07.99) and 200 breaststroke races (2.28.45). Sophomore Lauren Sapp came in first in the 50 (24.6) and 200 (1:55.23) freestyles and added 21 individual points, the second most of any Bear behind Zanolli. Every first place finisher for the women recorded a season-best time.

Zanolli, O’Grady and Li also teamed up with freshman Maria de Figueiredo for the 200 medley relay, earning a first place finish with a time of 1:48.48 to secure the women’s team’s only relay victory.

On the men’s end, victories in two relays helped lead the Bears to victory, while seven individual first place finishes secured the team win.

The men’s 200 medley relay team, featuring junior Ross Brown, freshman Jerry Chen, senior Michael Lagieski and sophomore Andrew Pek, came in first with a time of 1:33.05. Brown and Lagieski also teamed up with freshman Chase Van Patten and senior Justin Morrell to win the 200 freestyle relay with a 1:24.82 time.

Brown added to his team success with an individual victory in the 50 freestyle (21.4), while Lagieski came in first in the 100 breaststroke (56.85) and Van Patten won the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:42.52.

Sophomore Brandon Lum earned the most individual points for the men, recording 18 through victories in the 100 (51.30) and 200 (1:53.10) butterfly races. Freshman Peyton Wilson came in first in the 100 backstroke (52.23), while junior Ryan Nathenson secured the only Bears’ first place diving finish, on both the women’s and men’s sides, with a 241.35 score in the one-meter dive.

After meets on each of the last two Saturdays, the Bears have a chance to rest up for two weeks before the next meet, Nov. 19’s Illinois Wesleyan Invitational in Bloomington, Ill.