is here!

Swimming sweeps team titles at Illinois Wesleyan Invitational

Winning eight of 12 events apiece, the Washington University swimming and diving teams both claimed first place Saturday at the Illinois Wesleyan University Invitational.

The women’s team routed its competition, with a point total of 172 well ahead of runner-up Augustana College, which had 102 points. The men’s team also enjoyed a comfortable winning margin over Augustana, 162 to 127. Seven schools competed on both the men’s and women’s sides.

“We’re two weeks away from a pretty big meet up in Chicago,” head coach Brad Shively said, referencing the Wheaton Invitational Dec. 6-7. “We were looking for a little bit of momentum, and I thought it was a really good chance to focus on some details.”

Senior Jason Wan had a banner day, winning the 100-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 49.08 and contributing to relay victories in the 200 medley and 200 freestyle. Junior Luke Dobben was also part of the 200 freestyle team, and he raced to an individual win the 100 freestyle. Other event winners for the men were freshman Michael Lagieski in the 100 breaststroke, freshman Andrew Ellison in the 500 freestyle, Reed Dalton in the 100 butterfly and Sam Guenin in the three-meter dive. Dalton was another member of the 200 freestyle relay team, joining Wan, Dobben and sophomore Kaisen Yao.

For the women’s team, freshman MariMac Collins chipped into three event wins. First, Collins anchored the victorious 200 medley relay squad. She also notched wins the 500 freestyle and 200 freestyle relay. Sophomore Katie Anderson swam on both of the winning Wash. U. relay teams as well. In addition to her spot on the 200 freestyle relay, sophomore Kristalyn McAfee won the 100 backstroke for Wash. U.

Junior Sara Taege placed first in the 200 freestyle, and senior Chi Pham was victorious in the 200 individual medley. Sophomore Sophie Gan won the 100 breaststroke and swam on the 200 medley relay squad. Freshman Lauren Carlos was another event winner for the Bears in the 100 butterfly.

The swimmers will now get some time off before the taxing two-day meet in Wheaton.

“It’s really our first opportunity to get a little bit of rest,” Shively said. “They get to go home this week for Thanksgiving. It’s nice to clear the head a little bit and hopefully give themselves the opportunity to let the bodies heal and get prepared mentally and physically for a meet like that.”