Tennis sweeps DePauw for pair of wins over ranked teams

| Editor-in-Chief

In a competitive matchup against No. 11 DePauw University, the No. 8 Washington University women’s tennis team won four of six singles matches to eke out a 5-4 victory in its final tuneup before the indoor championships.

Earlier in the day, the No. 5 men’s team won all three doubles matches and coasted to an 8-1 victory over the No. 24 Tigers.

The pair of victories moved each team to 2-0 on the young season as they begin their competitive stretch of the short winter season.

The women started the day by losing two of three doubles matches, but sophomore Rebecca Ho, freshman Grace Deering and senior Hanna Newstadt collected straight-set singles victories to put the Bears ahead. With three singles matches entering a third set, the Bears needed just one victory to complete the comeback, and sophomore Kaylan Griffith picked up a 6-1 third-set win at sixth-flight singles to finish the job.

In addition to her singles win, Deering was part of the winning Wash. U. doubles pairing to continue her impressive freshman campaign. Including the short fall season, Deering has tallied a 6-1 record in singles and a 4-1 mark in doubles play this year.

The win came easy for the men, with all five of their singles victories coming from nationally ranked players in straight sets. In the two most lopsided matches, sophomore Jeremy Bush won with dueling 6-1 scores at fourth-flight singles and freshman Johnny Wu picked up a 6-2, 6-1 win at fifth flight.

Overall, seven different Bears contributed to the victory against DePauw, helping emphasize the team’s depth early in the season. With the Bears attempting to defend their title at the ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championships next week, that well-roundedness will be of utmost importance in the grueling tournament format.