Men’s soccer defeats Wisconsin-Whitewater in first round of NCAA playoffs

It took 69 minutes and 12 corner kicks for Washington University’s Peter Jebson to put away the second goal in a 2-1 victory over the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks in their first round NCAA tournament game.

The breakthrough came off a corner from senior Cody Costakis. Senior center back Kenji Kobayashi headed it across the box, and junior midfielder Zachary Query headed down the uncleared ball towards Jebson, who redirected it into the back of the net.

The Bears had a number of breakaway chances to increase their lead after the goal but the Warhawk goal keeper, Matt Mikesell, stopped them all to keep score at 2-1.

“We would take a touch in the box, and it would be inches away from where it needs to be, or we’d find a guy on a pass and it’d be inches away from him,” Query said.

With the win, the Bears have earned the right to play No. 5 Ohio Wesleyan University in the second round on Sunday, one of the four teams with a bye. Last year, Wash. U. had a bye but lost their opening match to Loras College.

“Last year we had a bye, and it kind of threw us off, so here we got to play the first round and get the feel of things,” Query said.

Wash. U. scored the game’s opening goal in the 48th minute. Senior Patrick McLean picked off a pass deep in the Whitewater end and calmly the passed the ball to wide open sophomore Jeremy Kirkwood, whose toe poke rolled pass the keeper into the left side of the net.

Whitewater answered in the 61st with a goal by junior forward Logan Fye off a quick throw-in. Fye’s one-time shot beat Jonathan Jebson to the top left corner.

See Monday’s issue of Student Life for a full recap of the weekend’s action.