Men’s basketball splits conference road games

Chris Klimek comes down with a rebound last weekend in a win over Emory. The Bears traveled to Emory on Sunday to take on the Eagles, and once again came away with a 92-83 victory. Klimek had 11 points for the Bears.

On the road for the first time since January 15th, Washington University’s 25th-ranked men’s basketball team fell to the University of Rochester 94-84 on Friday.

Senior Dylan Richter led the way for the Bears with 20 points, including his 1000th point as a Bear. His three-pointer with a minute left cut the lead to 88-80 and put him over that milestone, becoming the 20th player to do so in school history.

Wash. U had an early 16-13 lead, but Rochester’s next five shots were from beyond the arc, which gave them a lead they would never relinquish. By the half, Rochester had a lead of 45-34 and had made 9-14 three-pointers. The Bears had nine turnovers in the first half, and Rochester efficiently scored 15 points off those turnovers.

With thirteen minutes to go in the second half, Rochester had increased their lead to 20 but the Red and Green stormed back. Three-pointers by Richter, freshman Brayden Teuscher, sophomore Chris Klimek and junior Max Needle keyed the charge as the Bears reduced the deficit to six with 5:32 to play.

Rochester was able to withstand the run and made their free throws, 20 for the half, on the way to preserving the ten point win. For the game they shot 63% from the three-point line, and had a 27-10 advantage in points off turnovers and only seven turnovers to Wash. U’s 17.

Klimek had a career high 20 points off 8-10 shooting, freshman Matt Palucki had nine, and Needle had a season-high eight in only five minutes off the bench.

Sunday, the men’s basketball team finished strong on their road tour in Atlanta against No. 17 Emory University. With five players in double figures, the Bears’ 92-83 victory snapped Emory’s 17-game home winning streak.

Emory sprang to the early lead, holding a seven point advantage with 13 minutes remaining in the first half. The Bears fought back and after a layup by Dylan Richter with 16 seconds left, they held a 10 point lead going into halftime, 49-39.

After a three by sophomore Alan Aboona, Wash. U. had their largest lead of the game, 13, two minutes into the second half. With only a couple minutes to go Emory got the lead down to two on two occasions, but the Bears weathered the storm and made their free throws to preserve the nine point victory.

Aboona led Wash. U with 16, Senior Alex Toth had 15 despite fouling out, and Teuscher, Palucki and Klimek all broke double figures as well. Because of foul trouble for the team, head coach Mark Edwards was forced to use the bench, but they responded well, outscoring Emory’s bench 40-9. The Red and Green also won the rebounding battle 42-28, but their turnover woes continued as they finished with 18.

The Bears remained tied for first in the UAA with New York University at 7-2. Their last home games will be Friday and Sunday next week against Case Western Reserve and Carnegie Mellon as they look to create some distance in the standings.